Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to visit in Venetian coast?

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I am looking for the best place to visit in the Venetian coast for my honeymoon. It should be equipped with all facilities and should have a decent weather. If you people have any ideas and also about the hotels there, please let me know.
Any recommendations are welcome.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 12:35 AM

Hello andrewsteven, first of all congratulations to you and your bride regarding your upcoming wedding.

When will you be in Italy..what period of time? That would help with suggestions regarding "decent weather".

When you say the "best place to visit in the Venetian coast" where do you exactly mean. Venice? Along the Adriatic? And what is your definition of "equipped with all facilities" etc.

And what is the maximum you wish to pay per night (indicate US dollars or Euros)

I am sure with more detailed information you will receive a lot of advice.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:04 AM

I would like to suggest Bibione. It is a good tourist place in Venetian coast. I was there the last time and got all things to enjoy. You can find many hotels and restaurants. I stayed in a hotel called Hotel Bibione. It provided me a very good service and I really enjoyed too my heart.
Hope this will help you.

Have a great married life!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
JBX

Looking at website posted by contributor above . . . . I've been to Venice, however not to anyplace else along the Adriatic coast.

Where exactly is Bibione? And has anybody else been to the thermal spas?
http://www.bibioneterme.com/info/info_gb.html
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM

The beaches on the Adria (this is the correct term) are wide, sandy, crowded and - boring.

Frankly speaking, for a beach vacation several hundred of other beaches in Europe (let alone in the world) come into my mind. (After all, Italy has not the best beaches in Europe, but certainly the most expensive ones. Many beaches in Italy charge an entrance fee.)

The only reason to go there would be combining sight-seeing and beachlife.

Then, Lido di Venezia, would be the very best option: The nicest beach on the coast and a ten-minute vaporetto ride into the heart of Venice. However, not inexpensive.

The second best option would be Lido di Jesolo, a little bit north of Venice. A classical, rather posh seaside resort. Also expensive.

If you go further nord, you will find Bibione. You will need a car to drive to Venice.

Even farther away, almost at the border to Croatia, there is Grado.

If you go south, you will find Lido di Spina, a smaller seaside resort, and eventually, but far away from Venice, the huge area around Rimini.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM

>>The beaches on the Adria (this is the correct term) are wide, sandy, crowded and - boring.<<

This is a rather astounding statement when you consider that this seacoast includes a port designed by Leonardo da Vinci, the home of Federico Fellini, the former capital of the Roman Byzantine Empire and innumerable other important historic and artistic sites, not to mention more things for families to do (although I realize the OP is honeymooning).

No, it's not the rocky Mediterranean coast, jammed with other foreign tourists doing touristy things. But boring?

Also, for what it's worth, I think the Lido di Venezia is mostly awful, and would be a very depressing honeymoon destination. If you want to stay in Venezia -- which is increasingly has the ambience of a staying on a cruise ship -- stay in Venezia.

Andrewsteven,

Why have you chosen the Venetian coast? And without knowing what time of year you are going, it's hard to say where you'll find decent weather.

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:23 AM

Chioggia is a charming little town about an hour by car south of Venice.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:26 AM

I mean the beaches are boring. Venice is the world's most fascinating city. I assume, the OP is mainly interested in beaches because he asked for the Venetian coast. And for a beach vacation, I would recommend other places. And if he wishes to combine visiting Venice (and, in the hinterland, I would recommend to visit the Brenta Canal and Padova as well) I would recommend Lido di Venezia. He may swim in the sea in the morning and take the vaporetto into Venice in the afternoon (after the tourist buses have left).

However, he did not specify at which time of year he wants to go there. Venice in summer is not recommendable, and off summer a beach vacation does not make sense.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM

Understood, travel1959.

I still think the Lido is awful, and that it is better to stay in Venezia, and take a ferry out to the Lido if you want to swim.

I'm surprised none has mentioned Cipriani.

http://www.locandacipriani.com/