Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where is the best place to have a picnic while in rome/venice/florence/palermo

Jul 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I would like to have a picnic while i am in italy......out of the cities above which one should i do it in? and please also list the location in that city where i should have it. also, please list any other details that go along with your choice (ie: where to buy food, etc.)
I was thinking in rome at after touring the borghese--i have the 9-11 time slot--where would i buy food in that area-how would i go about this?? any and all suggestions!!!
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM

I have never planned my picnics ahead of time. All you need is a grocery store or bakery to get the supplies, and a park or park bench to eat it on!
Jul 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM

In Rome, a good combination is picnic fixings from Volpetti, probably the best and best known delicatessen in Rome, at via Marmorata 47 in Testaccio, and a park with a lovely view on via Santa Sabina on the Aventine Hill, across the street and up the hill from Volpetti.
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM
J62

I agree with suze. Rome is a huge city, so it is a waste of time to plan to travel to a particular destination for a picnic. Hunger & opportunity don't always arrive at the same time.

There are small grocery shops with a deli counter, or neighborhood alimentari (food store) or salumeri (deli) all around.

Perhaps we should ask, what is your idea of a picnic? Except for a few parks like Villa Borghese area Rome was paved over long ago, so there are no grassy knolls upon which to spread a blanket.

I basically eat a picnic lunch every day. Before or near lunch time I grab some bread from a bakery, cheese or deli meat, and some fruit, carry it with me till lunch, then find a place to park my butt in the shade - by a fountain, in a square, wherever I happen to be.
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM
kja

I think the Villa Borghese would be a lovely place to have a picnic. I'd probably wait until after visiting the Gallery to buy the fixings - there must be shops outside the Porta Pinciana gate (at least there were several years ago). You could then go back onto the villa's grounds a pick a nice spot. Enjoy!