Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where is the best place to buy an umbrella?

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:02 PM
caren

I will be visiting Paris soon and I hear that it rains there a lot. My question is: Should I purchase an umbrella here in the U.S., or wait until I arrive? Do they make better ones in Paris? I bet they are much more beautiful and effective since French women seem dry and neat all of the time--not to mention their knack for accessorizing. If I do buy one here to save expense (I am sure they are cheaper here), how should I pack it? Do you suggest rolling it up in a piece of clothing or putting it between layers? Of course, I could put it in my carry on but I don't know if they will let me on the plane with it since it could be considered dangerous. But I also do not want to be stuck without it in the event that my luggage got lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I do purchase one in France I would really like for it to have some French words/phrases on it or possibly some artwork by a native Parisian. I love to collect things from my travels. Thanks again.

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:08 PM
Leslie

I always take an umbrella with me on vacation. I own many of those small compact ones, and pack it in my luggage. I don't do anything special about packing it either. I do not put it in my carry-on, as that space is precious to me.

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:13 PM
kat

Hi Caren,
I've just returned from a trip to Europe and I can attest to the fact they have some fine umbrellas or brallies as the Brits call them. I took mine with me in my carry-on and had no problems, but I was flying out of a small airport.
It was raining most of the time while in London so I decided to buy brallies for everyone in my family. I got plaid ones and one from Harrod's with that cute little doggie on it and one with the British flag, and as a joke I got one with the Royal family on it (which doesn't seem so funny now). I was glad too because when I got to Paris it was quite damp. I ended up purchasing more umbrellas there and I got one just like you said. It says Ce La Vie! I love it, it's my favorite one. As for the quality I can't tell, my American umbrellas are good too.
Kat

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:14 PM
Cathy

There are is a lovely umbrella store in Cherbourg

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:21 PM
TrollAlert

Don't fall for it people. C'mon....how many people would have to ask how to pack an umbrella? Troll alert.

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:26 PM
caren

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice on umbrellas. Cathy, where is Cherbourg? I would really love to find that umbrella shop. Do they sell anything besides umbrellas--perhaps socks or shampoo? I would like to purchase some French socks with Felix the Cat on them (size 9-11) and also some French shampoo that is mixed with bergamot, coriander, sage, lavender, and licorice. Also, if anyone knows where to get a French christmas tree stand (red with white stars and children carolling)I would greatly appreciate the information. Thanks for your time ladies!

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:46 PM
caren

Oh and I almost forgot--an antique stethoscope for my nephew. He loves old French things and also hopes to become a doctor. Please help!!

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:19 PM
xxx

Folks, folks...Caren's got to be pulling our legs! Troll alert!

Cathy, when I saw the header to this post, I was going to suggest Cherbourg also! Great minds....

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:29 PM
Caren

I take serious offense to the troll reference. Are you all so jaded that you shrug off a genuine question from a woman who loves to shop while travelling for herself and for others? what is this world coming to? Anyway, for those who still wish to respond, please do so. Does anyone have advice on the stethoscope? It sure would make one little boy very happy.

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:30 PM
Dan

Fly to Paris France.

Go to 100 Paris St.

Make a left, a right, and a left.

Quaint little Umbrella shop.

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:30 PM
kat

I just read the other replies and now I am feeling like a fool. I thought Caren was serious. I really did buy umbrellas for everyone in my family. I also bought them underwear from Marks and Spencers because I've been told even the queen buys hers there. Maybe Caren is serious?

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:33 PM
Wow

Can you believe a troll would spend so much time on a message? Some village was without their idiot for a while.

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:38 PM
caren

Okay, for the LAST time, I am not a troll. What does it take to convince you skeptics? Why should I forgo this question alltogether because of a few doubting Tom's who have nothing better to do than to criticize.

Apr 1st, 2002, 11:37 AM
Joe

Troll.

BTW, "Tom's" is possessive, not plural. And I believe it's a Doubting Thomas, not Tom.

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:41 PM
Think

Caren, if I were you, I'd accept the "troll" label, because if you're not a troll then the alternative is that you sure are one dumb person.

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:55 PM
umbrellas

Caren; When it rains in Paris the umbrella salespeople appear on the streets. I bought a nice one in a little luggage, etc, shop on the Rive Gauche. Those shops are everywhere and you won't have any problems finding a french umbrella! Just in case pack one, too.

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:38 PM
Duke

This question is God's way of telling all of us that the US economy is BACK! If a person this shallow and dumb can afford to go to Europe and also has a job this means everyone that wants a job can get a job and we are on the comeback trail. BUY STOCKS NOW! Caren you are a bell cow and we thank you.

Now she will ask: "What is a bell cow?" and can I buy one in France?

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:45 PM
xxxx

caren--- if a stupid umbrella is such a source of traveling anxiety, I can't even imagine what it would had been like when you had to purchased the tickets or booked the hotel. You are a troll, and not even a funny one at that.

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:04 PM
qqq

A few ideas come to mind. a) many hotels have umbrella stands (with umbrellas, of course) in the lobby. You could contact your hotel(s) and ask.
b) You probably would like an umbrella from a museum shop. (they may have them in your city, also.) Some have impressionist paintings on them.

If you want one as a souvenir, then you should definitely look for one in Paris. As for packing, if it's not a small, folding one, you'll have to pack it along the hard edge of your suitcase.

Have fun, whatever you do.

P.S. you are not stupid. Don't let these people bother you. Take it from whom it comes.

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:10 PM
qqq

P.S. Caren is probably too young to have heard of "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg". It was a wonderful movie, Caren, in the 60's (I believe) Get it, if you can. Cherbourg is in the North of France (I think!)