Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is a good place to meet up with our friends at Gawick?

Notices

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:57 AM
mari

Can anyone suggest a good place to meet our friends at Gatwick who will be arriving by another airline 30 minutes before our flight. They will arrive at the North terminal, my husband and I will be at the South terminal. ....someplace where there are chairs perhaps. (maybe outside the village shopping area shops at the south terminal,...or perhaps a lounge.? I don't believe the large entrance hall has chairs!)
Thanks

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:06 AM
xxx

You could meet in the lobby of either of the airport hotels. Le Meridien in the North terminal or the Hilton in the South terminal. Whoever arrives first can pass the time having a drink..or tea.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Sheila

where are you going next?

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:59 PM
mari

Sheila.....I should have said where, for I knew someone would ask. We are going "out the door"...to a B&B in Horley close to Gatwick. Our plane schedule is a morning "misconnect", so will leave the following morning for Naples.
We have stayed at the Hilton Hotel once a few years ago and it is a LONG walk from the S. Terminal (even though it connects), and there was no courtesy bus at that time. Perhaps the Meridien is a closer walk to the N. terminal (but THOSE are the friends who are arriving first!)

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Frank

Gatwick has very few chairs. I'd suggest 1) either wait at the Hilton by the South Terminal. There is some walking but there are plenty of chairs, 2) There are some chairs in the shopping area on the 2nd floor overlooking the ticket counters. I forgot the names of the shops that are next to the chairs, 3) Look up the BAA Gatwick website (guessing, it is www.baa.co.uk) and choose a restaurant that you will be waiting.

Make sure that you have plans in case one flight gets delayed. Can your home answering machine messages be retrieved from another phone? E-mail is another possibility.

Make sure that both parties have a password like in the James Bond films. That way, you'll know that the Russians have not sent a double. The passwork could be "The birds fly south in winter" followed by "but they come back in the summer"

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Sheila

Then I would suggest that you meet at the end of th train link between the North and South terminals. If you will leave from North meet there, if from South there.

Seating is limited (non-existant?) but you will all be in the right place to take the next steps.