Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where in west Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-in-west-ireland-359296/)

donw Sep 17th, 2003 02:45 PM

Where in west Ireland

We're going to Ireland for 7 days on the tail end of next Europe trip. Where is best to go after seeing the highlights of Dublin for 2 nights? I know we want to go to Dingle Peninsula, per Rick Steve's book but what others?

Thanks for all the great info on this site over the past few years!

MaryZ Sep 17th, 2003 02:58 PM

After Dingle, I'd either head north to the Connemara area west of Galway, or south to Kenmare which I'd use as a base for Killarney National Park &/or the Beara Peninsula.

donw Sep 18th, 2003 03:18 AM

Tks for info. If we go to Kenmare, what are some of the places to see in that area?

NEDSIRELAND Sep 18th, 2003 05:19 AM

I am a great fan of west Clare, Ennis, Galway and Connemara. Come across from Kerry on the Tarbert-Killimer ferry and drive past Spanish Point, to Lahinch, the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren and Doolin (stops, the latter for lunch at Gus O'Connor's (RIP) Restaurant & Pub). You could stop for the night in Galway or Ennis, then continue on to Connemara or, if the weather is nice, take a ferry over to the Aran Islands.

If you're late and you want to stop in Miltown Malbay (bet. Spanish Point & Lahinch) I recommend Fitzgerald's B&B.

MaryZ Sep 18th, 2003 05:58 PM

Kenmare town itself is a lovely little place to explore. If you want to go farther afield, Killarney National Park is fantastic. Kenmare also puts you on one edge of the Beara Peninsula---a ruggedly beautiful part of the country.Bantry isn't too far away, and you're pretty close to Glengariff and the gardens off its coast.

Ann41 Sep 19th, 2003 09:49 AM

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want to concentrate on one area or see as much as you can?

Like the above posters, I'm a big fan of Connemara. I could, and have, spent a week in the area, usually at the Cashel House Hotel. There are a lot of remote and romantic hotels in that area.

donw Sep 19th, 2003 10:28 AM

OK, tks much. Where is a good website to find hotels in these areas?

MaryZ Sep 19th, 2003 01:19 PM

The Irish Tourist Board site (www.ireland.travel.ie) is a good source for hotel and B&B accommodations.

bob_brown Sep 19th, 2003 02:52 PM

I visited Ireland 2 weeks ago.
I recommend the Ring of Kerry, the tour of the Dingle Peninsula and the Clifss of Moher. All interesting to see.

bob_brown Sep 19th, 2003 03:00 PM

If any of you saw anything on the news on Sept 1, or possibly August 31, about a US Airways flight that was forced to land at Shannon, Ireland, because it was on fire, I can confirm that it was true. How do I know, I was on it!!

The crew handled it quite well.
The captain kept us informed, and all came out well. We landed smoothly and after the fire brigade inspected the interior of the 767 we were permitted to get off almost normally.

We then had to endure a 4 hours bus ride to Dublin airport, but that was better than some of the possible alternatives.

If you read that the crew "lost it", I think that is not true. One flight attendant told some people to get their junk up off the floor because all exit ways had to be clear. They did not comply and she got a little upset with them and told them "This is serious."

Heck yes it was and why those clods did not wake up to the fact that we did indeed have a problem I will never know.

I saw a great deal of urgency on the part of the flight crew, but nothing I interpreted as out of line with the conditions.

The fire was the crowing touch to a crazy flight to start with. The flight was 4 hours late leaving Philly and it was not the original aircraft or the original crew. Before we got on the flight, we had 3 gate changes, and finally ran it down at the right gate.
Then we waited forever while the plane was catered with food and drink.
So at 11:57 the plane pulled away from the gate, 3 minutes before the crew would have been "illegal" under union rules and the whole flight would have been cancelled.

It was a crazy day.

donw Sep 20th, 2003 06:51 AM

Tks for info and WOW, that was a crazy day!!!

donw Sep 22nd, 2003 06:54 AM

NEDSIRELAND, where can I find info on the ferries, etc. I looked on a few sites and don't see anything like that. Any info is appreciated. Tks.

Budman Sep 22nd, 2003 08:40 AM

Here you go. I did a google search for you.

http://www.shannonferries.com/

NEDSIRELAND is right on the money as far as itinerary recommendation. Great advise. ((b))

donw Sep 22nd, 2003 11:24 AM

Tks much.

Do I need any resv for B&B's in first part of May? Also, do they all have pvt baths or shared?

Budman Sep 22nd, 2003 11:32 AM

If you want a private bath in the room, you have to get an "en suite" room.

That time in May you shouldn't have a problem, but it never hurts. If you know where you are going to be the following day, most B&B's will call ahead to make a reservation for you. They all seem to know each other. ((b))

donw Sep 22nd, 2003 01:04 PM

OK, tks again for all the helpful info. I've used this board on 4 trips to Europe so far, and it's really helpful stuff!

BTW, Should I stopover in Killarney 1 night to look around for 3/4 of a day rather than stay 3 nts in Dingle?

MaryZ Sep 22nd, 2003 03:06 PM

I'm hard pressed to give up time in Dingle, but I also think the area around Killarney is wonderful, especially the national park. I'm not a big fan of the town itself.

LN Sep 22nd, 2003 03:37 PM

I have totally enjoyed both our trips to Ireland but the place always comes to mind when I think of Ireland and America is Cobh. Cobh was the debarkation point for many Irish ancestors coming to the Americas - United States and Canada. The museum and information center there was one of the highlights as was the town. We particularly enjoy how the townspeople easily stop and visit with you in their towns.

Another little town I loved is Inchegelach (my Gaelic is not too good) in the southern part of the country.

After staying in the B & B's of Ireland I could never stay in a hotel there again!! The innkeepers are delightful and every one we've visited has been spotlessly clean.

Hubby and I still have a standing joke - "Have you been to Tipperary? Ahhh no, it's a loooong way to Tipparary." Maybe next time.