Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where in the world is the best place to shop. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-in-the-world-is-the-best-place-to-shop-587759/)

as Feb 2nd, 2006 06:11 PM

Where in the world is the best place to shop.

If you had a choice of shopping anywhere in the world where would you go.

cpd Feb 2nd, 2006 06:30 PM

Boy I wish I had the experience to say! Having only been to the U.K. I don't feel I can give an opinion. But I'm working on my knowledge!

starrsville Feb 2nd, 2006 06:35 PM

Hong Kong?

brotherleelove2004 Feb 2nd, 2006 06:49 PM

What do you want to buy and what is our budget? Designer/haute couture clothing, period furniture, carpets, 24k jewelry, brassware, counterfeit knockoff merchandise like CDs, watches and luggage, or what? More information would be helpful.

h2babe Feb 3rd, 2006 12:12 AM

NYC and Singapore (And I've been to Paris and London but never been to Rome)

DownUnder Feb 3rd, 2006 12:48 AM

Milan, Italy would have to be somewhere on the list. Via Montenapoleone area.
Platinum and Gold CC's accepted!

Kate Feb 3rd, 2006 02:47 AM

From my perspective, I'd have to say New York. Same kind of stuff and diversity as London, but cheaper!

Shopping trips to New York for Christmas are a common feature of life for many Brits.

BTilke Feb 3rd, 2006 02:59 AM

It's not usually the first place that springs to mind, but we seem to find our best shopping in Germany (and to a lesser extent, Austria). We like their furniture, cookware, cutlery, linens (beautiful colors, well made, long wearing), clothes, and interior design sense. Pick up a few German interior design magazines and you'll find some beautiful homes (it's not all cuckoo clocks v. Bauhaus). Both their clothes and furniture are comfortable and well made (Van Laack makes great shirts, for example)--we find they make both categories for "real world" wear. There are many outstanding jewelry designers in Germany and Austria, not that our budget currently extends to jewelry sprees :-(
We also like buying German and Austrian because their products are obviously European without being European obvious (aka Gucci, Prada, Versace Louis Vuitton, etc.). They're more understated.
And of course, Germany produces a few decent cars, too, although we'd like our next car to be the new Citroen C6.

SiobhanP Feb 3rd, 2006 03:29 AM

Btilke I was thinking the same myself. In the past when I went on one or 2 trips for work I always bought clothese and homewares especially kitchen Items. Always great quality and nice items.

NY would be a good second as I am originally from that neck of the woods and a bargain can always be sniffed out on great items.

Viajero2 Feb 3rd, 2006 03:36 AM

Selected cities in the Great State of New York, USA. Special mention to New York City.

USNR Feb 3rd, 2006 03:39 AM

Based on our experience: Hong Kong (Ocean Terminal, People's Friendship Stores, Nathan Road); Chiang Mai, Thailand (furniture, jewelry, art); Hanoi, Vietnam (Old Quarter).

Geordie Feb 3rd, 2006 04:33 AM

Another vote for Germany, as mentioned by BTilke, I think the household products, mens & womens fashions etc. are the best I've seen anywhere.

I wish the same could be said for grocery shopping in Germany, I find it appalling, presentation & choice is virtually zero. When visiting the UK, my wife and I make a point of making a special pilgrimage to M & S just to look at the food!

For price you can't beat the US or Ebay

Geordie

vlk824 Feb 3rd, 2006 04:39 AM

Just got back from Firenze (Florence, Italy). One of my favorite places to shop is the Mercado Centro (Central Market--bazar). You can buy outstanding leather goods for a fraction of wholesale prices. Also, pashima (kashmir/cashmere) scarves 5 euro. Silk ties 4 euro. Many other fun things to buy there. My trip was worthwile just for the 2 red leather purses I bought. I would go back in a flash and load up on leather/silk/ceramics in a flash.

massagediva Feb 3rd, 2006 05:26 AM

Of the places I've been,Italy and India.I donated most of my clothes before I left India so I'd have more room for my purchases and then bought another carry-on for the rest!

ekscrunchy Feb 3rd, 2006 06:15 AM

India; Bangkok; Milan; Paris; Saigon; Indonesia; New York for starters.

BTilke Feb 3rd, 2006 09:35 AM

Where we were living in central Germany (in a suburb in the Dusseldorf/Essen/Bochum area) we had no trouble finding anything food-related that we wanted except cilantro (coriander). Fortunately, our German cousins grew their own! Bleach is also very hard to find, I guess for environmental reasons, so whenever we drive over from Brussels, we always bring a bottle of "javel" (bleach) cleaning spray.
If we could live anywhere in Germany, we'd probably pick Dusseldorf. Very cosmopolitan. Even has great sushi bars.

as Feb 3rd, 2006 01:58 PM

Brotherleelove:

Just let your imagination go wild!!!!

RufusTFirefly Feb 3rd, 2006 07:22 PM

If the men's and women's fashions are so great in Germany, who is buying these great clothes? Certainly not the Germans in most of the country!

djkbooks Feb 3rd, 2006 07:48 PM

There is nearly nothing you cannot find on the www - with minimal shipping charges and often without the sales taxes.

Tulips Feb 4th, 2006 01:23 AM

Definitely NYC! Then Milan. Then London; expensive, but great choice of well-known labels as well as new names.