Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where in The World - Cheapest to Visit? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-in-the-world-cheapest-to-visit-662155/)

maureencol Dec 3rd, 2006 08:47 AM

Where in The World - Cheapest to Visit?

I was just wondering what countries are still really cheap to visit as far as lodging and food etc. I am open to anyplace that is safe.

suze Dec 3rd, 2006 09:12 AM

Mexico is very reasonable in many locations

kerouac Dec 3rd, 2006 09:35 AM

Cambodia and Laos are magnificent.

kerouac Dec 3rd, 2006 09:36 AM

(I had a very nice room for $1.75 a night in Luang Prabang, a UNESCO World Heritage site.)

ekscrunchy Dec 3rd, 2006 09:36 AM

Argentina is good value for Americans. Most countries in SE Asia as long as you stay away from 5-star hotels.

marginal_margiela Dec 3rd, 2006 09:38 AM

Buenos Aires; Bangkok; Siem Riep; India; Sri Lanka; food is cheap in Prague, but not hotel rooms; food and shopping is cheap in Hong Kong, but not hotel rooms; China can be cheap, but hotels with western-style ammenities can be very expensive, especially in a city like Shanghai.

The most expensive place in the world, in my opinion, is Switzerland (that I have traveled to).

stevelyon Dec 3rd, 2006 10:01 AM

America at the moment - with the exchange rate. Any ideas how I can take best advantage of this?

ben_haines Dec 4th, 2006 02:40 AM

You write on the Europe forum, so I shall reply for Europe. Over the years I have listed countries of Europe, starting with the cheapest. I used my own experience, notes from correspondents on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree, and the site for Town Twinning Europe.

Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia and Belorus are hard to list here. In almost every other country accommodation costs are in line with other day-to-day expenses but not in Russia and other states of the former Soviet Union.
Ukraine comes lowest in this order of tourist costs if you rent an apartment for a week, or can use one of the few two-star hotels.

Ukraine
Moldova
Bulgaria
Slovakia
Romania
Albania
Latvia
Lithuania
Estonia
Serbia
Poland
(excluding Krakow)
Czech Republic
(excluding Prague)
Hungary
Macedonia
Croatia
Slovenia
Portugal
Southern Spain
Krakow
Turkey
Southern Italy
Greece
Prague
Northern Italy
Netherlands
Sweden
Finland
France
Austria
Ireland
Norway
Switzerland
Denmark
Ireland
Britain

I shall welcome any reader's improvement.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Kate_W Dec 4th, 2006 03:33 AM

Of course, those of us who get paid in Euros or British Pounds think that the US is looking rather cheap and attractive these days :)

maureencol Dec 5th, 2006 07:38 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. It looks like Eastern Europe is still pretty reasonable as well as areas like Cambodia. I will have to decide on my next adventure!

eric502 Dec 5th, 2006 09:20 AM

"Of course, those of us who get paid in Euros or British Pounds think that the US is looking rather cheap and attractive these days"

You should be looking on the US site for places to visit.

kerouac Dec 5th, 2006 09:34 AM

I am rubbing my hands in anticipation about my shopping trip to California in February. Yet I still know that I will be paying 20% more for shopping than on my trips to Florida when my parents lived there. While some of your are shopping at my home in Paris, I will be scouring Wal-Mart.

Christina Dec 5th, 2006 09:40 AM

I'm really surprised that the Ukraine or Bulgaria or Slovakia are cheaper than Albania. I just find that kind of hard to believe, not that I intend to go to Albania, but I was going to name it as being about the cheapest. I just thought the question was kind of unusual to list the cheapest countries in the world as a potential vacation spot.

FainaAgain Dec 5th, 2006 10:04 AM

This topic makes me think of my back yard - THE CHEAPEST PLACE TO VISIT!!

zootsi Dec 5th, 2006 10:17 AM

I'ts ironic that the cheapest countries in Europe are often the most expensive to fly to from the USA.

bardo1 Dec 5th, 2006 10:34 AM

<<I'ts ironic that the cheapest countries in Europe are often the most expensive to fly to from the USA.>>

And that's the problem in a nutshell.

For an overall budget, including airfare, look to Mexico for great scenery, cuisine, shopping, architercture, history, and food. Just avoid resorts of all types (and resort filled towns like Cancun).

Our family of four went for 7 nights a few years back for around $1500 (includes flights, lodging, meals and entrance fees). You just have to research, research, research (and buy are when the iron's hot).

Kate_W Dec 5th, 2006 11:37 AM

"You should be looking on the US site for places to visit."

eric502:

I've already decided on the places I want to visit on my next trips to the US (NYC, then Washington State): Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, J Crew, Old Navy (affordable clothes that fit this North American body).

Clifton Dec 5th, 2006 08:44 PM

Well sure, I don't see any reason why the cheapest countries shouldn't be considered for vacation spots. There's more than one kind of vacation, and many of the cheapest countries have great things to see and do.

ie - we found Cambodia very safe (but within cities and known sites.) and of course, cheap - the economy is based on the US dollar. And while not comparable at all to ANY part of Europe, it quickly became a favorite of ours.

I'd probably recommend Thailand though, as Cambodia isn't everyone's cup of tea. I actually think Thailand is <i>cheap</i> cheap - and very safe compared to the US or even most of Europe. And it's a place where there's tons to do and you can splurge and barely make a dent in the budget.

For example, we stayed in a huge, full service apartment near the river (the area where people always want to stay). Not a &quot;rental&quot;, but picture more a all-suites hotel with 24 hour lobby (with saluting doorman, not that didn't feel kind of odd actually). Came with breakfast buffet and omelets in the poolside breakfast room. The apartment had a full kitchen, king bed, teak wood cabinets, marble bathroom with seperate shower and tub. Room service available. View of the river and two blocks from a major transportation hub (river boats and skytrain) and the top hotels. The price? $76 USD per night including tax. Shoot, the major top-10-in-the-world hotels (The Oriental and the Peninsula) which are a couple of blocks in either direction can usually be had for under $200 per night. Prices that would be astronomical for that same hotel/room in another city. Multi-course feasts for $20.

Romania is cheap in Europe (also no shortage of attactions).

Usually true about cheaper countries costing more to get to though. I guess less trade means less business demand, so less competition. Thailand I think is sometimes an exception to that. Thriving trade and lots of flights. We paid extra and got premium economy for a little over a $1000 from the midwest US to Bangkok in peak season (winter). Economy was $800 but we thought the extra was worth it. I'd have to scrimp hard in most of Europe to stay under the slight extra the airfare cost to get to Southeast Asia and live like a king.

True though that the more

julies Mar 28th, 2007 04:16 PM

Just pulled up this old post which has a list from Ben Haines regarding Europe. Would people, in general, agree with his rankings?

I noticed Germany is missing and wonder where tht would fit in. Was also surprised to see that Sweden is listed as cheaper than France.

elina Mar 29th, 2007 01:50 AM

Mr Haines` ranking seems to be quite accurate. My opinion differs only slightly:

Estonia has climbed so now it is about neck to neck with Portugal. And Denmark is cheaper than France (except maybe somewhere countryside). And Finland and Sweden should be the other way around.

So, a pretty accurate list.