Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-in-rome-407198/)

MissAlaina Mar 5th, 2004 09:53 AM

Where in Rome?

I am so new to traveling. Would anyone please help me here. I found a hotel I'd like to stay in neer the Vatican. Is this where I want to be? Or do I want to be stationed closer to the Colosseum or Spanish steps? What is your oppinion? I greatl appreciate it.
THANK YOU!!

cheriegal Mar 5th, 2004 09:57 AM

I'd rather be closer to the Piazza Navonna - Spanish Steps - Pantheon - but it depends on what you want to do. The area around the Vatican is not as central to the rest of the sights in Rome.

MissAlaina Mar 5th, 2004 12:35 PM

Thank you so much for replying. We are celebrating our anniversary and we've been racking our brains trying to figure out where to stay. Vener.com has way too many hotels to choose from. As you can tell I have a hard time making decisions. Might you have any suggestions? Again thank you.

swalter518 Mar 5th, 2004 12:41 PM

MissALaina, either do a search above for Rome hotels or click on hotel rants and raves at the bottom of the page for some ideas. I agree with Cheriegal that you want to be closer to the action, especially on your first trip.

dickv2 Mar 5th, 2004 01:11 PM

Good evening, The area around the Pza Navona/Pantheon is probably most centrally located by distance from the
Spanish Steps, Vatican and the Forum areas, all are in reqsonable distances
for walking. The Spanish Step area is
probably the best for a large variety of shop and ristorantes and that area
we peresonally prefer. Have for many years stayed at the Trinita di Monte, the top of the Spanish Steps and on our last trip we decided to eliminiate
the trip up to our hotels from the bottom by taking a hotel at the bottom and about a block from the Steps...
All is in walking distance from bottom of the steps, however for the Vatican
would suggest taking a taxi one way and walk back...Also there are plenty of shops and ristorantes around the Pza Navona/Pantheon.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.

bardo Mar 5th, 2004 02:44 PM

I think you are better off looking at fodors.com or frommers.com. The hotel list are shorter, "pre-screened", and you can sort by area. Venere.com throws in everything including the kitchen sink. If you use fodors.com, look at areas "pantheon", "piazza navona", and "campo dei fiori". These are the most central areas.

Chatters Mar 5th, 2004 03:39 PM

MissAlaina: first question to you is: what is the type of sightseeing you'll like to do in Rome? A number of people concentrate on the Vatican, which can easily fill a week if done well. If you are looking to do the usual combo Old Rome and Vatican, then stay closer to Centro Storico, i.e. Pantheon, Piazza Navonna, or Spanish Steps. Second question; do you like to walk? Spanish Steps to Vatican is 20-25 minutes stroll. Your call. Third question: what month are you going? If you are going May-September, choose a central hotel (Centro Storico) where to take breaks in between sihtseeing.

Bashaw Mar 5th, 2004 07:44 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Aberdeen near Trevi Fountain. It was within walking distance of almost everything we wanted to see, and the rate was very reasonable.

robbiegirl Mar 7th, 2004 06:32 AM

Bashaw: Thanks for posting your satisfaction with Hotel Aberdeen. We have reservations to stay there in october and I have not seen it mentioned too often on the board here.
Are the rooms spacious and how are the bathrooms? Thank-you.