Where in London will I find a VanGogh?

Nov 26th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Vanessa

Where in London will I find a VanGogh?

What would be the best art gallery (in London) for me to visit?

I am mainly interested in the Impressionists/Expressionists.

I would loooooove to see a VanGogh; maybe also a Monet, Picasso, or a Klimt.

Also Ben, if you are reading this, I would be very interested in the file you keep about parents and children in London?

Thanks,
Vanessa

Nov 26th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Jinx Hoover

You can see a Van Gogh and much more at the National Gallery, located on the north side of Trafalgar Square. Free admission. Mon-Tues 10am-6pm, Wed 10am-8pm, Thurs-Sat 10am-6pm, Sun noon-6pm.

Regards,

Jinx Hoover

Nov 27th, 2002, 02:55 AM
david west

The national is pretty much the motherlode for paintings. For a great selection of Impressionists I would heartily recommend the Courtauld Collection in Somerset House. A much more manageable collection of world class art.

catalogue and guide here; Really, I can't recommend this highly enough.

http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/

Nov 27th, 2002, 07:52 AM
xx

Check: Vangoghgallery.com for the locations of all his paintings.

Nov 27th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Eri

In the Tate Gallery.

Nov 27th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Amy

You can look up an artist and find a list of many of their works located around the world on artcyclopedia.com

Nov 27th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Maurice

There's several Rembrants in the National Gallery. The one I remember is "woman bathing". I am amazed by his style. His very realistic pictures are done with quick swipes in a very impressionistic manner; danm, he was a good artist!
The book also lists 2 da Vinci's, several Raphael's, and many others. You can also play "spot the Bellini" (Canadian in-joke).
For impressionism you are looking for, you can also see Monet's Waterlilies, Renoir being impressionistic (The Seine at Asnieres) or more realistic (Umbrellas), Pissaro (Montmartre Boulevard at Night).

And cap it off with VG himself, the nutbar. The book lists "Chair and Pipe" and one of his several "Sunflowers".

Seems I recall Constable(?), Turner, and those foggy paintings were in the Tate, upriver near Chelsea; if that's in the same vein. The National is for more of the older paintings, and the Tate had the more modern ones.

Nov 28th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Ben Haines

Sorry I missed your message. It is a pleasure to send the note on Children in London.

At http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/pl.../familyfun.htm the National Gallery says this for November, but their work goes on all year.

Family Events
?Second Weekend? Family Drawing Event
Second weekend is an exciting and free series of artist-led drawing events on the second Saturday and Sunday of every month. Sessions explore a different room each month, and combine a gallery talk with an artist-led drawing brief.

This month's theme is 'To See or Not to See'. Discover the drawings hidden beneath the surface of National Gallery paintings and create your own drawing secret with artist Ansel Krut. Meet in Room 52.

Workshops run on a drop-in basis, no need to book. They start at 11.30am and are repeated at 2.30pm. All materials are provided, including a free souvenir pencil to take away. Sessions are aimed at families with children aged 4 to 11 years.

Family Talks
November's theme is 'Powder and Paint'. Family talks are lively one-hour interactive themed talks for families with children aged 4 to 11 years, exploring three or four paintings in the Collection. Includes a free badge.

Saturdays and Sundays 11.30am, except for weekends that coincide with special holiday events or the second weekend of every month. Meet in Central Hall.

All children must be accompanied. For further information telephone 020 7747 2424.

Also, if your child or children will be in London in English term time you might like to phone the National Gallery and ask whether your child can join a school party that age (probably not). The education side of the gallery does a great job.

At their site http://www.npg.org.uk/live/lecindex.asp the National Portrait Gallery, just north east of the Nastional Gallery, says

Free Drop-in Family Activities
Tour and Draw!
Let our artists take you on a tour of the gallery to create your own work of art!
The last Saturday of the month at 3.30pm
28 Sept, 26 Oct, 30 Nov

At http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/programmes/families.htm#gainsborough
Tate Britain says more than I can ever pack into a Fodors note. Do try it: your children could learn the minuet.

Please write if I can help further

Ben Haines