Transportation from Canterbury To Stratford-Upon-Avon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any other efficient way of traveling from Canterbury to Stratford-Upon-Avon on a Friday that doesn't involve a National Rail train or National Express bus stopping in London and/or that takes less than five hours?

I already booked my B&B in Stratford for the same day I leave Canterbury.

I might be brave enough to rent a car just for the day, if I can avoid heavily trafficked roads or motorways.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:04 AM

It's a tad under 200 miles so would take about 3 hours to drive - assuming no traffic problems and using the motorways. Going by back roads will take longer and you'd need to know the route - unless your sat-nav has an override 'no motorways' setting. You are in the south east though, so even small roads can be very busy, it depends what you mean by 'heavily trafficked'. It could take you twice the time on the back roads.

Really, if you find driving very stressful, just go by train or bus and relax.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:42 AM

We budget about 3 hours to drive this, but it can take 2.5 to 4.5 (or longer on a summer Friday evening) As Nona says, there's no such thing in SE England as a road that isn't heavily trafficked. And there's simply no road alternative - unless you want to go mad - to the M2/M26/M25/M40/A46 from J15. Motorways aren't the problem: trying to do it on A roads will incur more congestion still, and the navigation problems on real back roads are simply beyond the capabilities of any satnav.

I'd say avoid buses at all costs on this route.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:33 AM

This is a case of "if I was you I wouldn't start from here".

There are no good routes between Canterbury & Stratford on Avon - a map will show you why. There's a little place called "London" in between the two
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the information. My original plan to take the train seems like the best bet.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:04 AM

You may be interested in the London Plus pass that covers the whole area between Stratford and Canterbury and allows you to board any train any time - like when changing stations in London you hop the next train out - no queues - no restrictions as could be on cheapest tickets (check www.nationalrail.co.uk however to see what tickets cost) - this pass also gives you airport transfers on the heathrow and gatwick and stansted expreess trains outside the limit of the pass - and you could use it to go to Canterbury or even around Kent perhaps. Not saying it could be the cheapest way but the most convenient with the ability to hop any train anytime.

http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id11.html#londonplus