Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where in Europe would you live for the Fall/Winter? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-in-europe-would-you-live-for-the-fall-winter-734002/)

GillsinEurope Sep 4th, 2007 08:20 AM

Where in Europe would you live for the Fall/Winter?

If you could live anywhere in Europe for the months of November and December, where would you choose to spend that time?

alanRow Sep 4th, 2007 08:32 AM

Austria - pre Christmas festivities

bilboburgler Sep 4th, 2007 08:33 AM

December in Yllas for the snow
November in Arles or Barcelona

rickmav Sep 4th, 2007 09:08 AM

England. We've only done it once so can't say that the great weather we had last year is the norm. But I couldn't imagine anything better than the trip we had. Our report - Rickmav: Christmas in England - is on this site if you are interested in finding out what kinds of things we did. I'm assuming you would be renting cottages/apts., etc.

bettyk Sep 4th, 2007 07:40 PM

I lived in Vienna for 2 years in the early 1980's and loved November and December. The Christmas markets are great and altho it was cold I loved the snow.

mcnyc Sep 4th, 2007 08:09 PM

London. I just love London in winter.

quokka Sep 5th, 2007 01:37 AM

At home.

bookchick Sep 5th, 2007 01:51 AM

Rome. Not too cold, not too warm. Festive, but not "overdone" at Christmas.

BC

SuzieCII Sep 5th, 2007 02:23 AM

So far I'd live in St. Tropez. Sleepy(ish) little seaside town once all the frufru go home. Then I'd go to somewhere for the Christmas Markets ...
a "road trip"!

stardust Sep 5th, 2007 02:26 AM

Depends on what you want...

If you are looking for nice temperatures, Barcelona or Valencia (I remember sitting on a sea-side terrace in just a light sweater on Dec 15, and studying in a tanktop on a south-orientated terrace in January).

If you like Christmassy atmosphere, then take London, Germany or Austria.

I'd probably do like Bilboburgler: go for nice weather in November and snow/Christmas in December.

jody Sep 5th, 2007 02:27 AM

London or Paris ..lots to do , new exhibits, concerts, etc. I'm afraid I'd get cabin fever is some small place.

Sandylan Sep 5th, 2007 04:58 AM

Dublin would be a reasonable choice.Friendly English-speaking city so you can easily get to know people.Relatively mild climate in winter 40f (4C) with little or no snow.Dublin is the headquarters of Ryanair,Europe`s biggest low-fare airline and you can fly with them to 80 cities quite cheaply through www.ryanair.com

USNR Sep 5th, 2007 05:13 AM

Two good places to avoid: either Belgium or the Netherlands. Think dampness that penetrates your very soul, chill that never ends, and ceaseless clouds that depress. Lovely people, great food, fine transportation. But gray, gray, gray.

cailin Sep 5th, 2007 06:15 AM

I would choose London too - I love London in winter.