Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where in Europe would you go for Christmas and New Year's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like this holiday season, we've escaped all family obligations, and have decided to return to Europe? Where have you been during the holidays that you loved? And why? We love almost everything: museums, history, architecture, food, wines, smaller local cafes, neighorhood events. We're not thrilled with tourist areas, and we're not interested in just a beach vacation. I know this is very prior planning, but I LOVE the planning and dreaming part almost as much as the trip. Thanks in advance.
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:55 PM
MMM

Although I've never been there in December/January, I have considered visiting Andalusia during the winter months (specifically Seville and western Andalusia, where I believe it stays even milder and drier than in the east). During my last visit to Cadiz, some of the locals mentioned that they were sunbathing in the main square last New Year's Day.

MMM
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:09 PM

I used to go to trade shows in Strasbourg in late November and always thought that being there at Christmas time might be really wonderful. The Christmas market there is incredibly lively and wonderful, and it seemed as though the whole city had a certain German-like attention to Christmas that was lacking in other parts of France, but one could still have the French food and wine and sense of holiday celebration....
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:38 PM

My husband and I spent Christmas 2001 in Copenhagen. Tivoli was open for the Christmas Market; Royal Copenhagen and George Jensen had a marvelous display of table settings. I'm not into dishes, but both my husband and I thought it was great. The weather was cold, but all the shops, restaurants, and bars were cozy. We both loved it. We were in Prague at Thanksgiving 2002, the beginning of the Christmas season. The Christmas markets were being set up; streets were decorated, and we had various opportunities for music. The food was great and inexpensive. We loved Prague, too. At Christmas 2002, I went to Paris alone. I think Paris is the most beautiful of the three at Christmas. The lights on the Champs Elysyes are magnificent. I often go there at Christmas, and there are many chances for great music in theatres and churches. Each "quartier" decorates. I stay near the rue de Buci, and like it very much. I can't choose for you, but I don't think you will go wrong with any of those three. I can give you a couple of restaurant suggestions for each city if you like. Boots
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:50 PM

Vienna! You can go to the Christmas markets, see the normal sights, have gluewein, and I understand that you can attend a Viennese ball for New Year's.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:01 AM

I live in Zurich, and the city is absolutely stunning at Christmas. Every square has a tree, the shops are beautifully decorated, and the main streets are hung with lights. It is cold and you can have fondue next to a roaring fireplace.

I also think Prague and Paris mentioned above would be great. (Check the Orthodox Christian calendar however, as they may celebrate Christmas in Prague at a slightly different time.) London would be very Dickensian. If you are Christian, you might enjoy Rome at Christmas. I also agree with Spain, although I think the weather is a bit rainier there in the winter than other places in Europe. There is no place that is really warm in Europe in winter, but I don't think that is what you are looking for anyway.

One thing to be aware of: all restaurants (except hotels) will be closed on Christmas Day. Many will be closed on Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas and some of the smaller family restaurants may be closed all week between Christmas and New Years. This will be espcially the case in Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Eastern Europe. Many museums will be closed on those days and may be on a reduced opening schedule during the week between Christmas and New Years. You should figure this into your planning. Unless you have friends in one if the cities, you will most likely be eating Christmas dinner in a hotel; nothing wrong with that, but it is sometimes helpful to adjust your expectations.