Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where in Europe does it look like spring right now?

Apr 9th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Are you in Europe now, or have you just returned? For future reference, I'd like to know where it looks like spring--green, trees in bloom, spring flowers blooming. Even if temperatures are cool, where have the winter browns and grays been replaced by spring greens and colorful flowering plants? Thanks.
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Anywhwere south of the Alps or in Iberia
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:39 AM

I'm in Europe at the mo (permanently!) living in England.

Its now the time of year with all the daffodils and tulips, lovely lush green grass and hedgerow. The lambs should be skipping about, although I personally havent seen em yet! The weather has been nice and sunny and pretty warm, but this week there's been a downturn, today has been cloudy and dismal, rain that was like sleet today!!!!
The blossom should be out soon, usually around May-time.
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Here in Lyon, the blossom's been out for a few weeks now, and the tulips in the garden are dying down already. The daffodils and crocuses are long gone!!
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:03 AM

Italy looks green and beautiful.
There are orchids and daffodils in London...

Apr 9th, 2003, 07:10 AM

hey, the sun's back out and its lovely again
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:11 AM

England - the south west anyway - has had the sunniest month on record. It's been beautiful!
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:14 AM

A friend in Germany told me it snowed in Venice on Monday. I'll bet that was something to see! I will be there in a little over a week. I hope it has warmed up a little by then.
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Anglesey!
Forsythia just past its best , daffodils getting there , tulips out cherry blossom due this weekend followed a day or two later by the clematis. Glorious weather but cold at night.
I was in Hungary last week and the spring is not so advanced.
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Sylvia

Well, I can see lambs playing in a field by my house. The daffodills are just about over but the tulips are beginning to open. I have a flowing quince just coming into full bloom and the pear and apple blossom is beginning to open.
Browning was quite right. The place to be is England in April.

Apr 9th, 2003, 11:48 AM
hdw

nutney it did snow in venice on monday and has been relatively cold all week. It is supposed to be in the 60s or so next week though
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:03 PM

hdw, I am glad to hear that about the warming trend in Venice. It wouldn't dissuade me from going even if it was cold. After all, I am from the Southeast, where we only get about two weeks of anything that feels like winter weather each year! However, it is much easier to pack light for spring weather!
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:32 PM
hdw

nutney

Even though its going to be warmer it tends to feel cooler in venice so be sure to pack layers. I'd still bring a coat.
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the tip, hdw. I am prepared to dress using the "onion method"! I just have lighter layers and a light-but-very-warm jacket. And I have made myself believe that Venice will give me warm fuzzies, too! It is the place I am most excited about seeing...
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:08 AM

Very wise - it WAS spring in England just now, but this morning it is snowing. The snow doesn't seem to be settling though.
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:54 AM

Hi

strangely spring here starts slowly.

So far we've had blossom on the almonds, apricots, peaches, cherries, and plums.

We've had crocus, snowdrops, daffodils, and the tulips have just flowered.

The first local strawberries and tomatos are on sale. Asparagus has finished.

Max temperatures have been in low 20's C ( 70F).

Peter
Languedoc, France
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Apr 10th, 2003, 03:47 AM

Dublin!!

The sun is out, the cherry blossom is out (along with my hayfever), there are daffodils EVERYWHERE and the population are wandering around like they are living in the south of France!

It's great to be in Dublin right now!
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Same as in Enland here in Belgium: snow this morning. No spring yet!
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. I know how to find the average temperature ranges and historical averages, but they don't really give you the full picture. I live in the northern US in Minnesota where it doesn't really get green until the beginning of May (there is absolutely nothing in bloom here yet) so it is nice to have an idea where we could go for an early spring vacation in the future.
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:36 PM

I'm so envious hearing about all those flowers, warm weather and frolicking lambs in France and England! After a hideously cold winter here in New England that has stretched itself well into spring, I can't wait for my London trip in May! At least today we do have some sun here in Boston. Have also heard that next week will be a lot warmer, too. Thank God for little blessings!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO