Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where in Europe do you suggest I should go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:33 PM
L

Hi,<BR>I need help picking where to go in Europe. I have already been to England, Paris, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Holland.<BR><BR>I would like to go somewhere different and will be traveling end of June (probably landing in Paris - which is the cheapest for us). We intend to rent a car.<BR><BR>We are on a low budget.<BR><BR>Thanks for any suggestions!<BR><BR>L

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Rex

Why do you think you want to go back to Europe? I am not being a smart aleck here. Answer the why, and it will help you choose your destinations.<BR><BR>But without knowing anything more about you, I will propose Brittany, Scotland and/or Ireland.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Amy

Iceland would be my first suggestion; although the cost of food is high, you can get wonderful deals on airfare/hotels and it is possible to eat relatively well and still eat cheaply. It's a beautiful country, and certainly a bit different from the places you've been.<BR>Eastern Europe is also a good idea; try Czech Rep. or Hungary--or Russia!<BR>Turkey is also a fascinating and not exorbitant choice.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:10 PM
L

As you may have guessed, I love traveling! My husband wants to go back to Europe (I would have chosen Australia or Egypt - but it`s too expensive or too dangerous)<BR><BR>We both like to see the history and different way of living of people around the world. <BR><BR>Old buildings, churches, landscape and anything that has so much more history behind it then what we have here at home is of great interrest to us.<BR><BR>We would like to see something different then what we have already seen.<BR><BR>We are from Canada. Scotland and Ireland would be to far from Paris and driving on the left side is not for me!<BR><BR>L

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Linda

I would start with Berlin, head south to Prague, Vienna, Budapest. Then over to Zagreb, Split and Dubrovnik Croatia. You will see different things from the more western Europe and also among the cities mentioned. Low budget is perfect for most of these cities.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:21 PM
L

Croatia? Isn't it a bid hazardous there?

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:25 PM
r

I feel like I'm making some sort of extra-sensory prediction here because I don't have much information about you---- But, how about Sardinia and Sicily. Rich history, culture, great food, wine and as you have requested "old buildings,landscape,and churches" and ancient ruins.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 12:35 AM
Myriam

Don't forget about Belgium !!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Sjoerd

Croatia is as safe as can be. As is Egypt.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Rex

Ireland and Scotland are less than 90 minutes away - - via www.ryanair.com - - and WAY less than 90 dollars - - even Canadian ones!<BR><BR>I wouldn't have suggested them otherwise.<BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 05:01 AM
cmt

I'd suggest NOT going to Europe this year if you have no strong desire to go anywhere in particular. There seems to be no point in spending the time or money if you have only a vage interest at the moment. <BR><BR> However, I do note the following: (1) you haven't been to Greece, one of my favorite countries to visit; (2) if you've been only to Paris in France and you think you'll fly to Paris, it would be wonderful to see Provence or the Dordogne or both this time (that's what I'd want to do if I were flying to Paris), (2) if you have been to ceertain popular parts of Italy, or have been on a fast trip to the highlights of Italy, it's worth going back to see different regions of Italy or to see one region in depth.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 07:52 AM
John

Hi L,<BR><BR>Generally your interests and our interests seem to be similar. We have visited all of the countries that you mention - including several long term trips to Australia (they do drive on the left there).<BR><BR>Rex suggested Scotland/Ireland. Ryanir and Easy Jet airlines make both very easy and affordable destinations to get to.<BR><BR>The point is, both are quite different and attractive considering your interests, and comparing them to where you have been in the past.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 09:57 PM

top it

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:33 PM
L

I would love to go to Greece someday but we can't afford the plane tickets this year.<BR><BR>Paris is the cheapest destination from here.<BR><BR>I was in Italy twice and visited Pisa, Rome, Venice, Amalfi Coast, Pompei, just to name a few. So Italy is not for this year.<BR><BR>My husband has planned the following itinerary:<BR>Day one ; arrival in Lyon<BR>Day one : drive to Toulon<BR>Day 2 : Toulon - Cote d'Azur - Alassio<BR>Day 3 : Genova, Milon<BR>Day 4 : Milon - St-Moritz<BR>Day 5 : St-Moritz - Zurich<BR>Day 6 : Zurich - Bern<BR>Day 7 : Bern - Chamonix - Albertville<BR>Day 8 : Albertville<BR>Day 9, 10 & 11 : Lyon<BR><BR>Any place you would skip and replace? Any place you would suggest for overnight stays (we enjoy small &Agrave;uberges)? (keep in mind - low budget)<BR><BR>Thanks for all your suggestions<BR><BR>L

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Rex

This is a LOT of driving. You're not getting paid by the mile on this trip, are you?<BR><BR>At least four hours every day, days two, three, four and five.<BR><BR>It's your trip.<BR>

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:50 PM
L

4 hours? that much? are you sure? It does not look that far apart on the map I have.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Rex

Hmmm... maybe a little bit less than I thought - - and perhaps, still more than you thought.<BR><BR>from www.viamichelin.com<BR><BR>Lyon-Toulon - - 236 mi in 3h16 <BR>Toulon-Alassio - - 157 mi in 2h35<BR>Alassio-Milan - - 136 mi in 2h13 <BR>Milan-St Moritz - - 106 mi in 2h35 <BR>St. Moritz-Zurich - - 125 mi in 2h55 <BR><BR>That's still a lot in the first five days of a trip, including fresh off the plane/train.<BR><BR>And passing by so much good stuff!<BR><BR>I stick by my motto: travel around less - - see where you are more.<BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:37 AM
curt

What about going the other way from Paris? You did not list much of the Benelux area on your places you have been, so perhaps you could do a trip to the north from Paris. Pick up your car at CDG, then drive north to Brussels, spend some time there, then over to Brugge (see http://www.brugge.be/) which is wonderful (stay at the Hotel Prinsenhof, except it may be out of your price range if on tight budger), then you could go on into Holland, or head south back into France along the coast, visiting Normandy, Brittany, see Mont St Michel, then loop back through Loire valley for some chateaux hopping, then back to Paris to fly home. <BR><BR>Just a thought, as this is an ideal trip by car, all easy drives, and wonderful things to see and do.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:35 PM
topping again

to the top<BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 10:53 PM
topping again

to the top<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -