Where/how to meet friend at Paris's CDG

Feb 21st, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Where/how to meet friend at Paris's CDG

My friend and I are flying to Paris for a long weekend, leaving this Thursday evening.

We have almost identical routings - we leave within 5 minutes of each other from Chicago's O'Hare and fly direct. However, she is on United and I am on American (we are both heavy business travelers and couldn't resist the free international upgrades!)

We are planning to meet at CDG, but are hoping someone can advise a good location. I'm not certain whether there are multiple terminals, and am afraid that I'll suggest a place that exists in multiple terminals.

FYI, neither of us will check-in luggage.

I thought maybe where you purchase the RER pass? Is that a singular/accessible place? Or customs, since we'll both likely be in a nice long line on our way in?

Also curious if there is an arrivals board that would post both American and United arrivals on the same board. If either of us is late by more than X hours, we'd head directly to the hotel.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM

You'll be able to see both flights posted on TV screens. It's very likely that you will both arrive at the same terminal, but you can check with the airline to be sure. I wouldn't choose customs as a place to meet because it's too hectic. However, you might just be lucky enough to see each other at customs at the same time, but not likely. For me, the can't fail place would simply be at or near one of the airline ticket counters. Good luck.
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM

Unless AA or UA has changed terminals recently, you'll both fly in to aérogare 1. If you don't run into each other in the baggage claim area, meet at Gate 34 at the Information Booth, which will most likely be right in front of you when you exit immigration. Or, there's a café right opposite it where you could meet.
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Actually, looks like United comes in at Terminal 1, and American at Terminal 2. So I think we'll need to meet someplace outside the terminal (or she can come to terminal 2, which is closer to the RER station based on the map posted of CDG).
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:38 PM

I would agree with meeting at Terminal 2, if you're planning to take the RER anyway. The Terminal 1 arrival is the earlier of the two and the little lag can be well-used to catch the ADP Shuttle to get over to Terminal 2. There is quite a bit of common area near the RER ticketing area, but I don't recall a lot of especially hospitality-oriented things there and I don't remember it being particularly "climate controlled" there either. No matter.

By checking the monitors, as Wayne suggests, you should be able to sync up pretty well. (The area StCirq recommends in Terminal 1 is just about perfect for the right situations, which you correctly point out is not going to be yours this time.)

So, I think if it was me, I'd catch my buddy just inside at the RER facility, if I couldn't reliably make the stop exiting customs. (By the way, customs doesn't really present a bottleneck; only passport control. They work pretty quickly and if you're up in front, you'll have a good shot at getting toward the front of the line (depending on what else is arriving at the time.)

I don't blame you for going for the international upgrades on separate flights and if I wasn't arriving an hour and a half afterwards, I would have been happy to sponsor the espresso. No check baggage -- you guys rock! Bon voyage!