Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where have the "core" Paris Fodorites gone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-have-the-core-paris-fodorites-gone-830295/)

travelchat Mar 10th, 2010 08:25 AM

Where have the "core" Paris Fodorites gone?

In the last few weeks I've noticed fewer of my favorites are posting, i.e., Kerouvac, Genmai, Palenq, Patrick, Cigalachenta, and others of the "core" Fordorites which I may have inadvertently failed to mention (apologies for any spelling errors in your names). Have you all gone to ground for a reason? I miss your tasty trip reports and marvelously descriptive writings, recommendations for apartments and hotels, etc., from your perspectives as veteran savvy travelers to Paris in particular, as well as other European destinations. Kerouvac's contributions with his on the scene photos and residential birds eye view, are particularly valued and sought out. My vicarious travel enjoyment is suffering! Where are you? Is it an economic thing, fewer of you able to travel? How am I supposed to gather fodder for my next trip? Help!

Dukey Mar 10th, 2010 08:27 AM

Oh, please..the "core"?????

apersuader65 Mar 10th, 2010 08:28 AM

I think they're hanging out in the lounge more. But I agree, the Europe forum has slowed down significantly over the last year.

kerouac Mar 10th, 2010 08:54 AM

I think that all travel forums have slowed down over the past year. Travelchat, if you click on my name I think you will see that I have been posting. However, I will confess that I am suffering burnout from the classic posts about areas, hotels, restaurants, tipping, etc., and don't bother to read a lot of those now. Parisians know hardly anything about hotels in Paris anyway, other than the address.

I do have a pet peeve about people who continue to think that Europe is just one uniform entity and that if they saw it or did it that way in London, it must be pretty much the same in Paris.

janisj Mar 10th, 2010 08:56 AM

They have ALL posted several times in the last few days and even started new threads.

But cum'on . . . . Core?

If you want to see their posts -- go to their profiles (click on their screen names)

There have been more than 20 active threads just this AM about France and the vast majority are about Paris.

janisj Mar 10th, 2010 08:58 AM

oh - was posting the same time as kerouac -- so you've already found one of them . . . .

StCirq Mar 10th, 2010 09:02 AM

Core? Pffff....

They're all here. Maybe not posting as much as in previous years, for example, as fewer people are traveling, but still very much here.

Why is this even remotely important?

wanderful Mar 10th, 2010 09:26 AM

Core?

travelchat, I think you've really bruised the feelings and damaged the psyches of those individuals who thought they qualified as "core" and weren't mentioned in your list of major-league posters. (Granted, you were bound to leave somebody out.)

Sorry that you'll have to make do with the rest of us — inarticulate slackers who only infrequently provide a scrap of new and useful travel advice.

Your post has given me the idea that we should formulate a Hall of Fame of Fodor's Posters. The initial order of business would be to choose administrators, work out an acceptable voting system, and then select the first round of honorees. I'd mention some names but I'm sure I'd forget some worthy soul.

Michel_Paris Mar 10th, 2010 10:01 AM

not core, but a Parislophile.

Last 5 years have been to Ghana, Lyon, Paris, Turkey and London. Turkey and Ghana were life altering, in some ways..Paris is life affirming.

Mix in trips within North America to above.

Paris is my comfort food (desert?)..I need variety, but I will always have special place for Paris.

This year there are talks of Yemen and Jordan. I also, by chance, received a flyer from someone I did business with in France. She is renting out what looks to be part of a old chateau, real cheap, near Reims. So...maybe a trip combo of Reims and area (driving) and Paris (walking and eating).

One of my to-do's this year is a bit more research on Paris. I am weak in many areas.

ThinGorjus Mar 10th, 2010 10:29 AM

Well, sweetie darling, I will email my dear friend, Mimi (cigalechanta), and let her know that you are interested in her daily schedule.

She will probably be elated that one of the Great Unwashed sits on pins and needles waiting for her to post.

Thin, a simple Quaker

Suzanne2 Mar 10th, 2010 11:24 AM

This is a hoot. LOL

Michel_Paris Mar 10th, 2010 11:31 AM

the unwashed...or...non-lavées?

rbnwdlr Mar 10th, 2010 11:36 AM

Jeez, Travelchat, now you've gone and done it. You insulted some eperts and anooters. Anyone who trolled the old AOL boards knows what I am talking about.

ParisAmsterdam Mar 10th, 2010 12:06 PM

Michel_Paris,

Isn't the word you are looking for 'poilu'?

:^)

ira Mar 10th, 2010 12:50 PM

Well, I am so terribly upset by not being included in the "core" that I shall probably never post again.

((I))

Palenque Mar 10th, 2010 12:56 PM

Your post has given me the idea that we should formulate a Hall of Fame of Fodor's Posters.>

or a Hall of Shame and numero uno for that - Budman and all his aliases

StCirq Mar 10th, 2010 12:58 PM

"eperts and anooters"

Oh, Lord, the memories!

Michel_Paris Mar 10th, 2010 01:16 PM

I am torn...to aspire to be a core, with the champagne brunches at the Ritz with Carla...her singing sweet nothings into my ear, while Shorty glares at me from the shrimp pile...or back to being a poilu.

Quelle dilemne.

What's an anooter?

lmhornet Mar 10th, 2010 01:23 PM

I hadn't realized that Fodor's travel discussion forum become a branch of Facebook. What's the next topic? Whose got a crush on whom?

Michael Mar 10th, 2010 01:24 PM

I believe that <i>poilu</i> refers specifically to the French W.W. I soldier. Perhaps the term should be <i>la canaille</i>.