Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where does it say one needs an international driver's license?

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. I just read the thread about Italian police with their machine guns. We buy them sometimes but usually we don't. And, yes, we've interacted with the police in several countries and didn't find them necessary. Actually, it is my undertanding that they are mainly helpful if in a country that does not use same alphabet we do.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM

It's a requirement in some countries and not in others. Italy is one of those that requires it, and I believe that Austria is another one.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Hi julies, Michael is correct. It is now the law that you must have an International Drivers Permit if you drive in Italy. You must also have your US drivers license. The Permit translates your US license information into several different languages including Italian. If you don't get one in the states you are than suppose to make arrangements for a translator to translate your US license info into Italian after you arrive. Much easier and less expensive to just obtain the permit in the US through AAA. You do not have to be a member of AAA.

Not a matter of just the alphabet. A law enforcement person in Italy is not expected to be able to read English just as US law enforcement people here in the US are not required to read Italian and other languages.

I have understood that Austria now legally requires a IDP also but I don't know personally.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

I'm not just talking Italy here. Wondering where this info is generally found.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM

You can find this information in current guidebooks and on government websites, such as:

The Italian Government Tourist board says:

Italy recognises driving licenses and other traffic documents that are valid in other countries. U.S. and Canadian driving licenses are valid in Italy but the license must be accompanied by a translation or an international license (check your local AAA in USA or CAA in Canada).

http://www.italiantourism.com/transp.html

I apologize if this is posted twice, my computer is not behaving.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:24 PM

"Wondering where this info is generally found."

Did you try googling "IDP AAA"?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM

I think she meant, where can she find statements that indicate which countries require the IDP, not where can she go get one.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If one googles IDP, etc you DO get links to where they are required . . . .
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I know for sure you need one in Greece. I was thankful last year that the Greece board had this discussion which prompted me to get one. It came in handy when I got that silly speeding ticket. First of all I didn't think one could speed anywhere in europe...they all drive way faster than I do.....and as he was writing up my ticket they were speeding by so fast it made my head dizzy..I kept pointing to them and all he did was laugh....
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Here is a url:
http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

On the application, there is a table that indicates which country it is required and which just require U.S. driver's license.

I saw some information on the U.S. State Department website but the link just goes to AAA (and it was a broken link).

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM

When I was researching my trip to Spain last year, I discovered that an IDP was required. One of several links:
http://www.okspain.org/transportation/cars.asp

Although we never had to really use ours, it was no great expense to get them and no great hassle to have them with us.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry to be a pain, but the table on the AAA application form only indicates in which country the IDP is "honored". I want to know how to find out if it is required in a certain country.

We were stopped by the police in Krakow because my husband was lost at night and ended up driving the wrong way around the main square. In Romania we accompanied the people who had damaged our parked car by backing into it to the local police station to file report. And, in France we went to the local branch of the gendarmie (I think it was them) to report that all our hubcaps had been stolen while we were parked overnight outside of our hotel. In none of these instances were we ever asked for an IDP. And, as you can well imagine English speakers were in very short supply in Romania and Poland. This is why I would like to know where they truly are required.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM

julies; I recall googling a few years ago about IDP/IDL and I *think* it's origin was from a 1954(?) 'Geneva Convention'.
Regards, Walter
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM

I emailed the Austrian Embassy with that same question about the international driver's license. My answer came from some traffic office in Vienna.

The answer was an unequivocal YES, you need one.

So I presume you do, but when I rented the car, the Avis agent never asked. I could have driven off without ever showing one.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM

If AAA provide a list of countries that require the IDP, then they'll have a lot less business.

Anyways, just consult a guide book or do a search online for the countries you need to drive in.

I guess there are too many countries in the world to keep track which requires what. It's nice enough for the U.S. State Department to tell us which country requires a visa. But that's our tax at work...
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Not to be redundant, but you can look at the tourist board sites for whatever country you're interested in. For example, just now I:

1) googled "spain tourist board"
2) a site called the Tourist Office of Spain was listed;
I clicked on it
3) when the site opened, I clicked on "transportation"
4) then I clicked on "cars"
5) I scrolled down, and it said,

"If you are not a citizen of the European Union an international driver's license is officially required to drive in Spain; it can be obtained at the AAA."
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM

When I thought that I'd be renting a car in Italy for my recent trip, the booking agent for the car rental company said "an international driver's license is recommended" or something even more ambiguous. I interpreted it at the time to mean, you're supposed to have one, but nothing can happen to you if you don't. I found it strange. As though Avis was colluding with the lazy Americans against the Italian government or something...
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I found the same troubles you are having when trying to identify which countries require it. I had an accident in Spain and translated myself. I rented cars in Spain and Italy and was never asked for it. I got one because it was only about $20 and I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Rental car companies never ask for it--they don't care. All they care about is that you have a credit card and are a licensed driver.

In countries that do require it, like Italy, Austria and, apparently Spain, you'd only need it if you had an incident resulting in contact with the authorities. Even then, any particular cop might or might not ask for it. But you never know if you're going to get any particular cop.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Neopolitan

Regarding the idea that a rental car agency didn't ask for the IDP, what does that mean? They really don't care if you have one or not. They are not the police. Many people have restrictions on their driver's license that says they MUST wear glasses. Have you ever heard a car rental agency check to make sure you were wearing your glasses?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -