Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where do you weigh in on the great plastic chair debate…?

May 31st, 2001, 12:52 PM
Kavey

OK, I might be striking out on my own here but I have to know…

When I am on holiday and strolling around looking for a restaurant in the kind of destination where choosing your restaurant is half the pleasure… I always look at the chairs… and I have often been known to dismiss one restaurant in favour of it neighbour (where menus and prices are comparable) because it has plastic chairs!!!

Infact I can recall doing this on numerous occasions, in Madeira, in France, and elsewhere…

Does anyone else do this?

Or do you all think it is tremendously snobby/ odd/ funny?

Would love to know if anyone else is similarly afflicted and what other amusing little criteria you use to choose or dismiss restaurants when you are on holiday?

Kavey

May 31st, 2001, 01:13 PM
Nancy

Absolutely no plastic chairs! And there have to be cloth tablecloths and napkins at dinner time. Any restaurant that has pictures of the food served is defintely out.

May 31st, 2001, 01:16 PM
Al Godon

After the chair check, I grab a waiter or waitress and inspect their finger nails for dirt. Afterall, think of all the vile bacteria that dirty finger nails harbor!! Plastic chairs will not make you ill!!
At 6'5" and 250 I don't have much trouble with the nail inspection.

May 31st, 2001, 01:22 PM
StCirq

One thing I have noted with regret over the past 20 years is the slow disappearance in France of lovely wooden and iron café tables and chairs. I think I even spotted plastic chairs in the Tuileries last summer, where one of the classis images for me has always been those spindly iron café chairs silhouetted under the trees. If I have a choice, I will always opt for eating at a place that has nice chairs....or at least not plastic ones.

May 31st, 2001, 01:24 PM
Kavey

Al, Yes!!!

I remember when I was really small, about 5, we used to visit this Greek restaurant locally (in Luton) and suddenly we stopped going, even though the staff had become quite friendly to us...

It was because my mum had spotted the owner-chef's grimy finger nails, felt quite nauseated, and vowed never to go back!!

Nancy I am also in full agreement about the pictures of the food, that is the absolute no no!!!

I bring this up though because we did end up in a plastic chaired restaurant in Honfleur this weekend (though this was mitigated by cushions on the chairs) and had an absolutely wonderful meal, though we did laugh abut the plastic chairs on entering... (see my Normandy report)...

May 31st, 2001, 01:40 PM
Beth Anderson

at first I thought it was because you were worried about those pesky chair marks on your butt....

actually, I have said this before and I will say it again...

I wander around until I feel faint. the first place open, clean, and with a menu I can tolerate gets my business.

I am SUCH a philistine, I know.

May 31st, 2001, 02:48 PM
Judy

Kavey: Are we talking indoor or outdoor? Sometimes outdoors, it is difficult to find nothing but plastic chairs, yes? I prefer al fresco dining whenever possible. My "outside" criteria is that there are a lot of people there, and they have decent lighting and umbrellas. I am sucker for tasteful, lovely, ambiance. Some examples include restaurants around Piazza Navonna.
In regular restaurants, I try to see if there are any people there, if not, I am reluctant to go in. I know I am coward, Judy ;-/
Judy

May 31st, 2001, 02:57 PM
BigYankee

Fat Americans should avoid plastic chairs as they usually break them or have to have them surgically removed from their butts. ( Anyone smell a Troll ? ).

May 31st, 2001, 03:21 PM
Diane

Beth you and I are of the same mind! I must say, I'll check a posted menu or ask to see one first. 15000 lira for a glass of Prosecco is a crime when you can get a whole bottle at the next place on the piazza for 20000! Besides, I'm more interested in watching the passing parade of people from all over the world FROM that chair. Oh yes, after a particularly hot and steamy incident in Mantua, I also look to see how the shade is moving...those umbrellas look like they might move easily but....

May 31st, 2001, 03:27 PM
austin

Kavey

The white plastic chairs have infested the world
They are enemy aliens disguised as white plastic chairs
Soon (not soon enough for me) they will take over the world as they spread from their internationalhq ar Kmarts all over the world
In other words I am with you--but have euopeans blamed the Americansfor this blight?

May 31st, 2001, 03:58 PM
Sue

My husband and I have often regretted that we did not invent the ubiquitous white plastic chair.

May 31st, 2001, 05:03 PM
stacey

I guess I never thought about the plastic chair thing - there's so many of them, now. Besides, given the scarcity of anything remotely cafe-like in Central Mass, I'll take what I can get when I'm in Europe.

But does anyone out there remember those horrible, basket-like plastic mesh chairs? Beach hotels/motels seem to have them up and down the East Coast. I will never, never forget falling through one when I was about 10 and the absolute pain involved in being removed from it. If seen again - those chairs will be avoided like the plague.

As for pictures on the menu - my one exception would be the Wienerwalds in Germany. My favorite place for a quick bowl of pommes frites to keep me going.

Jun 1st, 2001, 04:56 AM
kavey

Big Yankee, no this is not a troll, coz I would really put my name at the top of the thread if it was wouldnt I? Not...

Thanks for your answers folks, got me smiling and remembering and thinking!

In honesty, I have often eaten in plastic chair places, but it is more where the choice is between two restaurants otherwise similarly attractive where the one with "real" chairs wins out!!!

Kavey

Jun 1st, 2001, 05:57 AM
Beth Anderson

this is oh-so-apropos...

I saw this in the Post y'day...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2001May31.html

enjoy!

Jun 1st, 2001, 01:22 PM
Kavey

Beth

Still wiping away the tears, that was FUNNY!!!

Weird coincidence...

People you really have to read this...

Thanks muchly for sharing this one...

Kavey

(butt firmly NOT in a plastic chair)