Where do you stay when you go to Paris?

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you stay when you go to Paris?

What district and what hotel, if you care to reveal...and why do you stay there?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:16 AM

I tend to favor apartments either near the Bastille or Tuilleries.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:19 AM

So far I have visited Paris 3 times - and stayed in different areas each time.
I want to experience as much as possible in my short visits.
The first time wanted to say in the Latin Quarter - so I booked into Hotel St. Andre des Arts - pretty darned funky and old. I had enjoyed the notion of its history...I enjoyed it but won't return there (unless my budget for travel gets "cut")
Second time in the 11eme at a pretty neat hotel in the 11th called the Lyon Mulhouse. Big room there. Enjoyed the area too.
Both of those times were pre-Fodors so I was pretty much "uninformed"
Third time, I left an apartment by St. Severin in the 6th and went to stay at the Hotel Relais du Louvre in the 1eme... LOVED that hotel and will return there. Very central Paris, lots of restaurants, cafes, etc.
Or, maybe I'll go down to Montparness...that area holds and appeal to me as well.
LOL..for some reason, the 7th holds no appeal...can't explain that.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:34 AM

We stayed at the Brighton Hotel in the 1st. The location is ideal, views are to die for (if you get a renovated room fronting on the Tuileries, preferably 4th or 5th floor), and very nice front desk. Price not bad either for that part of the city - 165 Euros/night. Address and web site are: (218 Rue de Rivoli); http://www.esprit-de-france.com/pres...?lang=EN&id=7]

There are several pictures from our balcony on our Fodor's trip report submitted just after New Years.

KC

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:26 AM

"Price not bad either for that part of the city - 165 Euros/night."

See also: http://www.hotel-alixia.com/Page5.html
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM

We stay at the Hotel des Saints Peres in the 6th, close to the 7th and very centrally located. We love the hotel and the neighborhood and always feel at home. The location makes it very easy to walk or take a bus or the metro to almost every place in the city center. And it is just two blocks from our favorite cafe, the Cafe Bonaparte.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:39 AM

I really love to wander around the Left Bank,(great couscous restaurants, wonderful bistros/cafes, unique jewelry/clothing stores especially along Rue St. Andre des Arts) although the Marais is beginning to grab at my heart, too.

Because I don't spend so much on food, I usually stay at the Relais Christine, a former monastery that has been converted into a lovely, small hotel with a beautiful courtyard just off Rue Dauphine. I love most of the rooms I've stayed in there, and find the location perfect for walking to the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, Notre Dame, and of course, the Latin Quarter.

Lately, I've been reading a lot about VILLA D'ESTREES, also on the Left Bank, which sounds very charming and reasonable. You might want to check that out, too!

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM

The 5th or 6th. This year I'm giving the Hotel St Jacques a try--have already booked for May trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Oh, I didn't answer the "why" part. Well, I like being around the university, before when I was grad student and now that I'm faculty. I dig all that academic energy. And the bookstores. Nice pleasant walk to the Louvre, my number one destination, and easy metro connections to anyplace else I want to go.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Any other district/hotel ideas? This will be our first trip, for about seven nights. Want it all to be right and still have a little time left for research...
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Four Seasons Geo V., being in the restaurant business all my life, we go just to stay at nice hotels but we eat at neighborhood spots, never take anything but blue jeans. The Plaza Athenee is nice to but very inconsistent in their rooms.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:07 AM

In the Marais Districton the right bank, the 4th arrondisement. It is convenientto tyhe Metro, Louvre, Ile St. Louis, Notre dame.

We stay at the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais. Rooms are small but have character, e.g. exposed beams. Robes in room; bkft available in room is special. Proprietor and staff are great, very helpful. It has A/C. About 140e per night.

Anthony
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Last fall we stayed at the Victoria Palace in the 6th, but very close to the 14th.

Loved the location as well as the hotel. Will definitely return.

Byrd
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Last Summer I stay 10 days in the Ibis Av. d'Italie,13. Good location, many kinds of restos around, caffés and even a big commercial center with supermarket, FNAC, etc. Metro (50m), in Place d'Italie. Cheap: 750 euros. Small room, small tv, bathroom correct. Sleep like babies, as we ask a "quiet room" and it was turned to the patio interior. But dont try breakfast - the third day at 9h15 there were no croissants, nor bread or jam... There is a "Paul" in the other side of the street,with very good pastry, and many caffés.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM
tod

Cafe Leffe is a superb spot for the view of Notre Dame and has a great vibe. Just around the corner from Square Vivianni!
At night we used to sit and watch the lights of the Bateaux Mouches shining up onto the trees as they passed by.
Standing on the Pont des Artes is also great for waving back at the loads of happy people all having a good time cruising down the river!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. This task is overwhelming, to pick one hotel. So many. I think we are going to settle on the 6th. So many seem to love it. We want queen bed, but that is looking very difficult to get for under $300 a night. Not sure I need it that badly...but still looking...
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Richardsonsnm,

Please do NOt tell any of the fashionistas here that you actually wear blue jeans in the Georges V or they'll get back at you on TripAdvisor!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:37 AM

I don't remember how I chose this hotel, but I'm glad I did. The name is The Capitol, on Rue Viale, I don't know the arrondisment. I ended up going there three more times in subsequent years. It's about 200 feet from the DUPLIEX metro station, and a short walk to the Eiffel Tower. Another grand find there is the BEST Italian restaurant I've ever been to, and I've visited Italy every year for the past seventeen years! I also come from New York, so that's saying a bunch. The place is under the elevated metro, around the corner from the Eiffel Tower and the Australian Embassy (both a few very short blocks away). The name the first time I went there was SALVATORE'S. However, the story goes, is that Salvatore, who comes from Naples, cheated on his lovely wife, and she threw him out. The place now is named YOLANDA'S, his wife. Both Salvatore and Yolanda came from the same neighborhood in Naples in which my wife was raised, so we really hit it off.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:43 AM

attn: Heavens
On your thread about 'beds', you were given several hotel suggestions where Queen-size is offered, and all are under your $300 limit:

Hotel Muguet (7th)
Hotel Elysa-Luxembourg (6th)
Hotel de Fleurie (6th)

Also:
Hotel de l'Odeon (6th) Queen-room 198-220€
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelnut. I did start a search on these hotels and then my TA called with rates and then I talked to our friends going with us who want twins, and TA sent some websites and I just got overwhelmed. Sometimes I don't want to be the ONE booking everything. It is too much. Will look into these websites again.

I am sorry, but the more I learn about Paris the less I know...is how I am feeling right now.

Thanks Waldo, Yolanda's is on my list.

George the V and Plaza Athenee, I think, might be out of our price range...that I do know.

Oye, it's OK. I know we will get it all figured out. Problem is, I want to do and see everything. LOL. You all understand, I am sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -