Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where do you park for a day trip to Siena?

Aug 24th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

We are staying in Radda in Chianti and would like to spend a one day, Sept 11, touring Siena. I have heard it's very difficult to find parking. Can anyone suggest a specific area? Does it really cost $20+ for parking? Does arriving early help finding a spot? We look forward to specific suggestions.
Aug 24th, 2003, 02:44 PM
ira

Hi,

If you go to www.google.com and enter "Siena parking" all will be revealed unto you.
Aug 24th, 2003, 05:56 PM

Parking in Siena is, indeed, a nightmare. We circled the city for at least 45 minutes, following the "soccer ball sign" that supposedly led to a parking lot, but we never did find it. Ended up finding a pull-in spot on the circle road and walked into town.

Trouble was, we were with another couple who decided to take a different route to walk out of town (BIG mistake, as it was mostly hundreds of steps!), and this let us out in a different area. We must have walked that road for another 45 minutes trying to find our rental car, in the rain.

If I had to do it again, I'd take a bus!
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:12 PM

We always park in the stadium parking lot. Can't remember what we paid but it was well worth it!
Aug 24th, 2003, 08:43 PM

Hi Richard. There are a few parking lots near the city center of Siena, including the one at the stadium which has been noted. We had a little trouble at first, following the soccer ball signs that Hagan mentioned, but then found the parking lot (we found the signage in general around Siena to be very cluttered and not as clear as we thought it could be.)

The other place I happen to know of offhand, because we used it once, is the large Il Campo parking garage, near the Porta Tufi entrance, on the south side of the city (you'd follow signs for Porta Tufi just like you'd follow the soccer ball signs for the stadium parking lot.)

That Il Campo lot is, as the name suggests, the closet pay parking lot to Il Campo, the magnificent square in the heart of Siena. It's not cheap and may easily cost around $20 for an entire day. The stadium lot may be a bit less expensive, but I don't know.

There is free parking on the road leading up to Porta Tufi as well as the road leading up to the gate (can't recall the Porta name) that is west of Porta Tufi, but you would probably have to arrive quite early in the morning to find a spot and would have a further walk than you would from one of the parking lots.
Aug 24th, 2003, 09:22 PM

On my last visit to Siena I parked in long term parking lot "B" at LAX.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Can't remember exactly where we parked, but it was close to the main square and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost anything like $20 for the day. It may well have been the Il Campo car park.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:52 AM

We also parked at the Il Campo lot. Very convenient and not too crowded (we were there on a Sunday in September). I don't recall it costing $20, but the dollar was much stronger when we were there two years ago.