Where do you get your film developed?

Nov 5th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Vita

Where do you get your film developed?

Pardon me while I rant.

Stupid CVS. I have had nothing but complications from trying to get my film developed there. The latest fiasco - I requested a single set of prints with CD. I got back the prints and the CD, but when I got home, no pictures on the CD. This is one of a series of headaches that I've had dealing with, not only the photo developers, but the CVS staff. I'm still expecting some film back, then I NEVER want to go there again. So where does every one else get theirs done?

Nov 5th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Art

I have been getting my film developed at Seattle FotoWorks for the last couple of years. You can get multiple sets of prints, CD's and automatically delivered on the internet. From their website you can create albums, title each shot and give a title and a description for each labium. I have made some albums and been able to email them to friends as well as individual shots. They also have an option to do a higher resolution on their website. They offer prepaid envelopes to mail your film in.

Nov 5th, 2001, 09:06 AM
elvira

Walgreen's and Osco - so far, so good. I've also used York and Seattle Filmworks (send film thru the mail, receive pictures through the mail), but the quality seemed to fall off a few years ago. My sister swears by K-Mart; one friend is pleased with Costco.

Nov 5th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Phyllis Stein

Interesting about the Seattle firm; I used them after receiving a direct mail piece with an offer I couldn't refuse -- but should have. The photos from that trip were ruined and so was any future relationship between me and that company. Glad to hear they do well by others though....

I've used drug store photo developing with disappointing results, too, and have at last settled on a local camera shop that does all their own photoprocessing. Fantastic quality -- I guess they do a lot of color correction. Their price is a little higher than the drug and discount stores, but no more heartache.

Then again, it's probably just me: My mother always used to use Long's or Walgreen's and she could show her photos off with pride.

Nov 5th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Phantom

Art: Watch that verbage! You're gonna get the kids a little excited with that "labium" term, there.

Nov 5th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Ess

I quit using CVS when they scratched my negatives and ruined some potentially great snaps. Dopey kids, out too late the previous night. Now, I go to a chain place nearby called motophoto. Kids (early 20's?) also run that shop, but they seem to be more into photography and developing, and therefore take more of an interest in what they're doing. If it's something really special I take it to a camera shop/photo developer that I use and trust. They're all photography geeks and highly dependable.

Nov 5th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Gretchen

Sam's Club--half the price of anyone else. Someone mentioned color balancing. If the color of your prints is off just ask them to be re-done--they can correct it. Sam's is now giving an index print and you can have a CD if you want--also posted on the internet for 30 days.

Nov 5th, 2001, 09:52 AM
dan woodlief

This is a tough question Vita. I am still looking around for the perfect lab. If you really get into it, the type of paper used for printing for the type of film you use, too many scratches on the negatives for easy digital manipulation (they usually won't show up in lab prints), and bad color adjustment all come into play. For me, the real problem has been the scratches, which has made me seriously consider switching to mostly slides except for family pictures. I have tried several labs. The pro labs are great, but they are very costly, and not even they are foolproof. The hardest thing about finding information on which labs are best is that unless they are chains that send their film all to the same place or shops that accept a lot of orders by mail, it is hard to find opinions for the ones available to you. www.photo.net has opinions about a large number of them if you go to the "Community" section. Take a look, and you will see what I mean. Even the ones with the biggest names have widely varying comments. The safest bet is to spend a lot (maybe $15-$22 a roll and use a pro lab), but perhaps the best way for most people is to try out a few in the area and see which ones you like. Maybe compare Wolf (too expensive for the value in my opinion), somewhere like Target, a locally based consumer lab (I use University Photo in Chapel Hill a lot), and a mail order place (such as Kodak, Fuji, or A&I). I have resisted mail order until now, but I am considering sending out small rolls of cheap film to compare some. I hope this isn't too confusing. Like one of the other posters, I look for employees who seem to care about photography and do not like to see a lot of turnover in the staff (I stopped using one lab for that reason).

Nov 5th, 2001, 12:16 PM
beatrice

I used to go to Walgreens because they are cheap, but now I swear by Ritz Camera. They are a bit pricier (about $10 for a single set from a roll of 24 exp), but you can't beat the quality. Each print is hand inspected, and if it comes out a bit dark or whatever, they will redo the print and try to correct for it. They are speedy, and you get lots of options like matte finish, borders, CDs, etc. If you become a member at $14/yr, it's 25% off. I figure if I am going to invest the time and expense of taking a picture, it's worth it to get it developed well.

Nov 5th, 2001, 12:24 PM
elvira

Thanks, beatrice, for the reco on Ritz Camera. There's one nearby, but I never used them because I had no recommendations. I'll try it on my next roll of film...

Maybe my lousy photos are all the fault of the developer...

Nov 5th, 2001, 01:46 PM
xxx

Sometimes you can be suprised by the quality of the processing at some of the cheap places...

I used to always take my film to Target when I lived in Maryland with good results, but after I moved to another state the quality of the processing at the local Target was terrible, so I started going to the camera shop in town and paid about $10/roll, but then I tried the GROCERY STORE one time when I just dropped off a roll while I was doing my shopping and the quality was BETTER than the local film shop, and $2/roll cheaper. Try several places around town, find someplace you like and stick with them!

Nov 5th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Liz Z.

I've been quite happy with Mystic Color Labs --http://www.mysticcolorlabs.com/.

It's a mail in service. You can also buy their film (which is made by Agfa) with pre-paid developing, and you get 27 exposure 200 ASA film, plus developing, with two copies per print, for about $7.60/roll (a bit more for 400 ASA).

I have no affiliation with this company.

Liz

Nov 6th, 2001, 03:07 AM
Jan

I've also been very pleased with Mystic and have been using them for at least five years, maybe more. In that time they have maintained reasonable prices, reasonably speedy service, and the photos look great. They've never messed up or lost an order either.

Nov 6th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Fargo Chick

Our local branches of Monarch Photo are great. Yes, I pay more than my friends do at Walmart, but I get much more in return.

Monarch was doing 4x6" prints for years while others were still doing dinky 3.5x5.5". And they were at the head of the pack with the small contact sheets.

Nov 6th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Anna

Now that my husband has become more of a photograher, he has been taking them to Wolf Camera. We have been very happy with the results, much better than the drug store developing we used to use.

Nov 7th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Vita

I'm sorry. I have just have to reiterate how much I hate CVS. Was supposed to get some photos back on Saturday and I'm still waiting for them. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Nov 7th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Randy

Up until this year I have been taking my 35mm film to Meijers or K-mart for the one day service. I DO NOT order the 4 X 6 prints. I order the 3 X 5 and ask for triple prints. A roll of 24 only costs a little over $5.00. My 35mm Camera has a large lens opening so I use 100asa film. I use Fuji film and I only pay a little over a $1 a roll.

This year I purchased a digital camera (Olympus D-460 Zoom) and I love it. I just got back from France and I took 580 pictures and they are all on 3 Smart Media Cards (these cards are about the size of a postage stamp). No big heavy camera to carry around any more. I have also transfered all 580 pictures to one CD and have mailed many of my friends in Europe a copy of the CD.

If any one is interested, my Olympus model camera has been discontinued and there seem to be some very good buys on new Olympus cameras at ebay.com. The 490 model is also very good. If any one is interested, e-mail me and I will e-mail them a picture and you can judge the quality yourself.

Nov 7th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Gretchen

Just completed a trip to France with my digital 3030 Olympus. Just great. No heavy SLR. A little compromised by the lack of a long telephoto BUT when printing I can crop as much as I want and it will be sharp. I also don't have to deal with 300 pictures individually. I can let some go, put all on a CD and print what I really want to my own cropping. Sam's Club has a 3000 for under $400. Also was able to delete pictures as I went which were not what I had expected. I NEVER thought I would be a fan of digital but the results are outstanding.

Nov 7th, 2001, 09:23 AM
lisa

Ditto Art....we use PhotoWorks.com - excellent, quick service.

Nov 7th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Beth

Wolf and Ritz are now one and the same. I also have an Olympus 490 digital and loved using it on my recent trip to Paris. Agree that it is great to be able to monitor photos and retake that shot that wasn't a masterpiece, just in case you aren't going to be on that street again. I did find it time consuming though to do all the photo work myself when I got home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO