Where do they bury people in Spain? Don't laugh it's a serious question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We spent 2 weeks in southern Spain travelling by both train and car (in large cities, medium cities, & small vilages) and never once saw a cemetary. When we happen to run across them we have frequently found that cemetaries in different countries are interesting to visit. So, out of curiosity, where are the cemetaries?
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:25 PM

I don't know the whole answer to your question, but I do recall seeing a huge mausoleum in or near Barcelona. I guess that's the right word for it.<BR><BR>As I recall, it was row upon row of what must have been thousands of burial vaults.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:41 PM

Hi<BR><BR>Eric is correct.<BR>They are on the outskirts of most towns.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:15 PM

You'll see the same thing in Italy too. Cemeteries are usually located outside or on the outskirts of centres of population. They aren't easy to pick out because they are normally surrounded by a high whitewashed wall, the only distinguishing mark being a small cross over the entrance gate. Most people buy niches to inter their loved ones, often several storeys high. The flat-on-the-ground type graves also exist, but they are expensive and less common. And even though both are Roman Catholic countries, cremation is getting more popular and the Church no longer has objection to it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:26 AM

I had heard that people were buried in vaults sometimes several stories high because the ground in Spain is often too rocky and hard to dig a grave such as we know it.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 09:59 AM

Just returned from southern Spain (will post trip report later). They have cemetaries, but not like in the US. Some people are buried in the ground, but most are interred above ground in vaults. We saw several of these. Also saw a place where caves were used to &quot;bury&quot; people.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Hi<BR><BR>Something I should have mentioned.<BR><BR>In unspoilt villages the cemetary is on the edge of the village. In towns with modern expansion, it is on the edge of the old town.<BR><BR>As someone mentioned, they are behind walls.<BR><BR>It is similar here in Languedoc<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:46 AM

We visited a cemetery just outside the Alhambra in Granada. We had approached the Alhambra from the back entrance where all the tour buses park. There was a cemetery just across the road. Always interested in cemeteries, we strolled through and found it much like those elsewhere in Europe.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:35 PM

I saw several cemetaries in Spain, but you really do have to search them out. Once you do find them, though, they're worth the trouble to wander through - they are so elaborate and enormous.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Every village has its own cemetary. Some are really very beautiful and all are perfectly maintained. We visited several in Andaluc&iacute;a. The cemetary in C&aacute;sares was so very peaceful. No dark gravestones like we have them here but a wall of niches, whitewashed and decorated with flowers. Here's a link to one of my pics: http://p.vtourist.com/209706.jpg
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:41 AM

A related question: If an American tourist dies while in a foreign country, can he or she have made a previous agreement to be buried in, say, Paris or London or Madrid?
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the answers. Now I guess I will know what to look for on another trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:48 PM

I don't know about Paris or Madrid, but in UK, anyone who dies can be buried in cemeteries or churchyards (with church's permission). You, or your family, can choose where, but municipal authorities normally charge more for non-residents. It will be more difficult if death occurs out of the country, as Home Office has to authorise the return of body to UK.