Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where do the celebs hangout in London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-do-the-celebs-hangout-in-london-538903/)

eiregal Jun 23rd, 2005 07:09 AM

Where do the celebs hangout in London?

Can anyone recommend some restaurants / bars in London where one would be likely to spot some celebs?!!

gertie3751 Jun 23rd, 2005 07:38 AM

They allegedly hang out at The Ivy but don't even think of trying to get a reservation unless you are a celeb yourself.

nytraveler Jun 23rd, 2005 07:39 AM

What type of celebs?

Old? Young?

Actors?

Athletes?

Musicians?

Celebs for no reason???

gertie3751 Jun 23rd, 2005 07:42 AM

All of the above

Patrick Jun 23rd, 2005 07:47 AM

Huh, gertie? Anyone can get a reservation at The Ivey, but you have to call at least several weeks in advance? Why? Because 90% of the diners have booked way ahead for the hopes of glimpsing one of the 10% or less of the patrons who ARE celebrities. However, I must admit that on most nights (at least late) you are very likely to see some celebrity there.

Kate Jun 23rd, 2005 07:49 AM

Very true, last time I went I was sat near Aalan Rickman on one table, and Alexander McQueen on another.

gertie3751 Jun 23rd, 2005 07:51 AM

I must try harder. The chance of sitting near Alan Rickman is too good to miss.

Intrepid1 Jun 23rd, 2005 07:55 AM

In terms of bars/clubs and "celebs"...

Straight?

Gay?

Pretending to be one or the other??

Actually, I know of a fabulous bar south of the River where a few celebs have been seen on occasion but I think you might want to stick to the Ivey (a lot less messy and not as kinky).

Good luck.

Kate Jun 23rd, 2005 07:56 AM

oops hit the button too soon.

Other restaurants that attract the stars

The Wolsley
Mirabelle
J Sheekey
Gordon Ramsey at Claridges
Gordon Ramsey

These are all expensive restaurants that need booking wel in advance.

and the list goes on. There's really so many top restaurants and bars now that it's pot luck as to whether there'll be a celeb there or not.

The bars tend to be harder to get into (Met Bar, Light Bar in St Martin's Lane Hotel, to name but a couple)

starrsville Jun 23rd, 2005 07:56 AM

LOVE his voice in the Harry Potter character. Liked him in "Love, Actually" but wasn't the same voice.

eiregal Jun 23rd, 2005 08:02 AM

Thanks for all of that. I'm not looking for any celebs in particular, just someone someway famous so I can come home and say, 'You'll never guess who I saw' etc. Is the Ivy expensive?

gertie3751 Jun 23rd, 2005 08:22 AM

Starrsville: I could hardly belive it was him in Hitchhiker's Guide.
Eiregal: yes, it's expensive but not if you're a celeb. It's not prohibitive though...give it a try.

eiregal Jun 23rd, 2005 08:33 AM

I can't get a booking at the Ivy, they are fully booked for the 2 nights I will be there. Anywhere else for me to try? What about bars and clubs?

ThinGorjus Jun 23rd, 2005 09:23 AM

Many celebrities belong to private clubs in London, such as the Soho or Groucho. Unless you are a member or a friend of a member, you will never gain admission. My aunt belongs to the Groucho. When she takes me to lunch, I see the likes of Damian Hirst, Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, Fleur Cowles, Nigella Lawson, and the Duchess of Westminster. And you know what? These celebs are that fabulous, sweetie, when they have pudding running down their chin. :)

Actually, I'd rather look out the window whilst I am eating rather than speculate on Rupert Murdoch's bad comb-over.

ThinGorjus Jun 23rd, 2005 09:24 AM

Sorry, AREN'T that fabulous.

Kate Jun 23rd, 2005 09:30 AM

Talking of which, I sat next to Rupert Murdoch in Balthazar (NY) once. GOD his wife/girlfiend looks young.

Kate Jun 23rd, 2005 09:33 AM

Oh, and the IVY really isn't that expensive (for London). About £50 a head. You could always put your name down on a waiting list - I have a friend who often seems to sneak in on cancellations.

And it's often easier to get in at lunchtime.

Robespierre Jun 23rd, 2005 09:39 AM

This has been an extremely useful thread, as it has enabled me to add many entries to my Places In London To Avoid list.

Thanks, all.

FAMOUSUNCLEART Jun 23rd, 2005 09:50 AM

I eat out often at the Pizza Express on Finchley Road and am bothered by tourists taking fotos of me and asking me to autograph their pizza mozzerla. I haven't noticed any celebrities come in here...

HOld on, Tom Cruise came in, he had been promoting War of the Worlds and he was soaking wet. He ignored me although we had worked together.

LAwoman Jun 23rd, 2005 10:15 AM

Alan Rickman was on our train a couple of summers ago, Caledonian Sleeper London - Edinburgh. Saw him sitting in the lounge car. Our sleeper attandant, Mary, said he's very rude and full of himself, but that Ewen Macgregor was on the train the week before and was very sweet & adorable.