Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where do I go in Italy for 10 days? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-do-i-go-in-italy-for-10-days-90211/)

Donna Oct 16th, 2000 07:05 PM

Where do I go in Italy for 10 days?

I am going to Italy in July, and don't know what the best itinerary would be. I've never been there, and I don't know how to break the trip up. I am not renting a car, and I don't want to spend a lot of time travelling from place to place. Any suggestions?

Ed Oct 17th, 2000 03:04 AM

Why are you going to Italy? <BR> <BR>If you could articulate the answer to that question you might be able to figure out where to go yourself, and someone here might have an idea or two as well. <BR> <BR>Without knowing why you want to go it's hard to figure out where to go. Factories, churches, shopping centers? What are your interests?

Paige Oct 17th, 2000 03:19 AM

Try Venice-Florence-Rome. That's pretty standard for a 1st visit. Or spend 10 days in Rome, Naples and the Amalfi coast. Or 10 days in Tuscany. If you have no clue about Italy start reading books, otherwise don't you have anything in mind?

Penny Oct 18th, 2000 08:03 AM

Florence is wonderful, but very crowded in summer. Venice HAS to be seen at least once, but be prepared to be ripped off. It's worth it for once. Verona and Padua in the North are also worth a trip. If you stay in the north, you might want to consider visiting the Italian lakes which are in the mountains (Maggiore, Como and Garda). They are magical. The best lake for me by far is tiny lake Orta. The town is San Giulliano de Orta (I know I've spelt that wrong)

elaine Oct 18th, 2000 09:22 AM

I have to say that I never felt ripped off in Venice, but I was not there during July-August, if that makes a difference. <BR>The summer will be crowded, almost anywhere in the major cities and towns in Italy, so be prepared. Per Ed's question, <BR>What do you want to see? How much time will you have altogether? Do you prefer <BR>countryside or cities, or a little of both?

Art Oct 18th, 2000 07:41 PM

I agree with Paige. For my first trip I'd stay 2 days in Venice, 2 in Florance and the rest in Rome. You won't see everything in any of them but that would be proporational. <BR>

Steph Oct 18th, 2000 11:15 PM

Rome is an enchanting city and 10 days isn't very much to get the most out of the place. However be warned in July its going to be very hot so perhaps a couple of days in Florence might also be a good idea. You will also need to hit the sea at some time so try Capri or less crowded Ischia.

Benny Oct 20th, 2000 09:20 AM

Donna, bit short on info like where you are flying into and where you are flying out of. I will assume that you are using Milan as entry and exit point. Here is what I would do and you will not need car. <BR> <BR>1. Maybe overnight in Milan when you arrive to see the Duomo (the main church) and the area around the square. Get up next day see a little more of Milan then catch train to Como and the stunning Lake Como. IMHO Milan is nothing special, but Duomo is neat. <BR>2. Spend at least 2 days in Como and use the boats on the lake to visit the other towns on Lake Como. Explore Como. You will love the lakesand Como is great. <BR>3. Take the train to Venice one morning arriving in the afternoon and spend at least 2 nights in Venice. Explore, enjoy. You must see Venice. <BR>4. Train to Florence and at least 2 nights there. Great sights, great musuems, great shopping especially for leather goods (visit Lily's of Florence for great lady's shoes). <BR>5. Train to Rome for remainder of time, visiting Vatican, ruins, etc. Then train back to Milan (unless you can fly home out of Rome)and overnight before your flight home. <BR> <BR>This would work if Rome is your airport as well, just reverse it. IF you do reverse it you might consider dropping Milan and using those days in the other places. <BR> <BR>This is very doable in the time you have as we have done the exact trip in the order I listed. Get a rail pass (second class is adequate)- Italian pass not Eurorail, as you will not be leaving Italy and it is much cheaper. <BR> <BR>This would be a good overview for the first time visitor. One hint, allow plenty of time for Rome and do not miss the Vatican - it is awesome as is all of Rome and for that matter all of Italy. It has to be one of the most beautiful countries in the world.