Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where do Gubbio and Todi fit in insofar as Umbrian/Tuscan towns to visit?

Jan 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

We are planning to visit MOntepulciano, Pienza, Cortona, Assisi, Spello, Perugia and Orvieto in a limited number of days this summer.

Is either Todi or Gubbio that wonderful or memorable that we should try to find the time to visit one or both at the expense of other locations?

By the way, we have already previously had the opportunity of visiting both San Gimignano and Sienna, and that is why they are already being excluded from this list.

Thanks for any advice.
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM

We've been to all those towns.

Gubbio is certainly very interesting - the only drawback is that it's a bit remote from the others. You might consider substituting it for Perugia.

We found Todi to be similar to Montepulciano in many respects (the latter was nicer IMO).

You don't have Trevi, Bevagna and Montefalco on your list. And Spoleto too although it wasn't one of our favorites...
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM

I like Gubbio very much. I didn't care that much for Todi. Pienza and Montepulciano are small and can be seen together in one day if that helps. Spello is also very small and you can visit it in a morning and Trevi and even Montefalco the same day.
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Tuck - it's funny but the only real reason that I was including Perugia at all is because of it's convenient and central location.

Most comments on the Fodor's site are not really wildly either in favor or against, and I have no real feelings either way.

Would you therefore suggest considering Bevagna, Montefalco and Gubbio instead of Perugia and Todi?
One grouping is really as possible as the other.
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM

Will you be in the area during the Infiorata. This is not to be missed and IMO worth planning your trip around.
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Pammyjo - what and when is the Infiorata?
Jan 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM

IMO the area around Spello is a better spot to base; the area around Perugia is a bit dense and not that pretty. From there you could do a day trip/scenic loop drive to Gubbio, up the Via Flamina (S3) and back via S298.

Another day should be devoted to Assisi and the Eremo.

A third day would be the Spello, Montefalco, Bevagna, Trevi group.

You should include Civita d'Bagnoregio with your Orvieto visit.

You might skip Cortona if time is limited for more time in the Val d'Orcia.

Jan 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Tuck - By the way, which of these revised towns (not counting Motepulciano, Pienza and Orvieto, each of which I will be visiting before the week-end) would you recommend that we visit on a Sunday - I am somewhat wary because of Stu's warnings abourt hilltowns being "quiet" on Sundays and Monday mornings.
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Sorry - this is something I'm not familiar with.

We found all the hilltowns somewhat "quiet". I remember a glorious Sunday in Assisi.

We often choose a Sunday to drive into one of the larger towns to avoid the weekday commuter traffic...

Jan 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

"Glorious" is good - maybe we will take in Assisi on Sunday.

Thanks, Tuck, as always.
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
LJ

No to confuse the OP overmuch, but Perugia is a very interesting small city that does not roll up the sidewalks at 6pm the way that Todi, Gubbio and Assissi all do...you could fit it in as a site for a lovely sunset/dinner visit.

Perugia is the home of one of the oldest universities in the world and, because it has so many students, has a very lively vibe.
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM

BTW the "Infiorata" is a street festival involving artistic murals created out of flower petals. We've not seen it - it's held in June I believe.
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM

I should've said it's in Spello...
Jan 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM

The Infiorato in Spello is on May 24/25, 2008.
Jan 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM

It is not just in Spello but in many Umbrian towns on the same weekend. Spello is the most famous.
Jan 28th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Gubbio is the tough one here---too far. I could miss Todi as well. The road to Bevagna and Montefalco is pure Umbria to me, and Perugia is a major city not in the same class with the others.
Jan 28th, 2008, 06:28 PM

How many is a "limited number" of days? Your list was fairly long to start, without deciding between Gubbio and Todi -or- adding Bevagna, Trevi, Eremo, Montefalco, Civita d'B or Spoleto or any other of the many charming Umbrian towns.

The plan of seeing Spello, Montefalco, Bevagna and Trevi in one day would be at least one too many towns for me. Somewhere in there I'd want a leisurely, Italian lunch and the option to detour for something that sounds interesting. Our visit to Bevagna, for example, included short tours of the ancient Roman baths (mosaics) and the opera house (a tiny, jewel-box La Scala wannabe). A walk around the town, the two mini tours and lunch easily took more than three hours.
Jan 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Jean - right now,our plans are to leave Sorrento by car late in the afternoon on Wednesday, drive to Orvieto, and visit Orvieto and Civita on Thursday (sleeping in Orvieto a second night).

On Friday morning, drive to Montepulciano and see Mont. on Friday, with a late afternoon visit to Pienza for dinner.

On Saturday morning, drive early to the mall at Rignano Sull'arno for the obligatory visit by my wife with Fendi, Gucci et al, before spending the afternoon and early evening in Cortona (and returning late that night back to Montepulciano).

Sunday morning we will depart for Bevagna, and spend the next 4 days (until Thursday) in Umbria where we hope to visit Assisi, Spello, Bevagna, Montefalco, Gubbio, Trevi and, depending on whether or not we have the inclination, Perugia, while still allowing some time each day,for relaxation by a pool.

It should be noted that one way in which we have tended to maximize our sightseeing time (as opposed to how so many other people use their time) is that we have never been ones to eat lunch - most, if not all of our Italy hotels have had wonderful breakfasts included in the price, and we have never felt the need nor the inclination to spend our afternoons in restaurants. Instead we have usually sought the comfort of one or two daily gelato/soft drink breaks, with a nice mid-evening dinner completing each day.

Hopefully all of the above will not be too taxing, but, of course, we do realize that the daily plans may always be subject to some possibility of change for various reasons, but, hopefully, the basic itinerary will prove to be doable while still allowing us to have reasonable opportunity to relax and slow down.
Jan 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM

IMO Assisi and Perugia are both full day visits. You'll also find that many Umbrian towns basically close down in the afternoons (from 12/1ish to 3/4/even 5 in some places, which may affect your sightseeing instead of a long lunch plan. National museums do tend to be open over the break, e.g. the National Gallery of Umbria in Perugia. I would suggest you check out the specific things you hope to see in each time and confirm they'll actually be open when you're there.
Jan 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Noncomformist.

What would Sunday in Assisi be like?