where do a family of 5 stay in Venice

Jan 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

where do a family of 5 stay in Venice

I have looked at so many sites i'm dizzy. Trying to cover everyones needs and not knowing the area is tough. My husband and I are in our early 50's our 2 kids 21 and 19 and my sister who is mid 60's and not good with stairs. any suggestions? We are going to be in Venice the 1st week of May but only for 4 days.
Jan 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM

The closer to a vaporetto dock that you can be,the better. Do you have an idea what you'd want to spend, and how many rooms...? Do you want an apartment?
Jan 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Friends stayed at Palazzo del Giglio or something close to this name, which was a very reasonable hotel situated in the Campo of the same name, and which had apartment-type accommodations for families. The place is very close to a vaporetto stop and not more than a seven to ten minute stroll to St. Marks. Google the name and see what you find.

Anna Roz
Jan 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Another possibility would be to book one single room and two double rooms, or one double and one triple. With this choice, you could look at all the recommended hotels throughout the forum and see if any suit you. I liked La Forcola, which has an elevator and is near a vaporetto stop (although I think there are stairs over a bridge to get to it, but not sure now).

There are lots of stairs in Venice, but they seem rather gentle.
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for my late response folks, I didn't realize how to access my posts without scrolling down.
I would rent a apartment, we need 3 nights the end of April and I would like to top out at 250e. per night.
Im looking forward to your thoughts
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:51 AM

Hi anabelle,

when i started trying to find an apartment for me and family [2 adults plus grown-up kids, so two bedrooms essential] at easter, I started on google then worked my way through all the sites with apartments in Venice. [you could do the same thing with www.slowtravel.com if you prefer.]

some sites are better than others - eg www.italy-accom.com lets you sepcify the no. of bedrooms [I assume you'll need 3] and the cost.

others have difference choices - area, etc. and availability.

then I worked out a shortlist, and e-mailed to get confirmations of costs.

it's quite hard work, but the advantage is, that by the time you've looked at all the maps, descriptions, etc., you'll have a much better knowledge of Venice!

you might also look at Franco's thread on accommodations in Venice.

regards, ann
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM

Look at Corte Grimani for apts.
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM

I believe Pensione La Calcina has apartments associated with it, in addition to the hotel.
www.lacalcina.com
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM

I can't recall the name of the hotel where my husband and I, and 3 sons stayed, but we had two separate rooms. The triple had a bathroom. The double did not, but the rooms were across the hall from each other, making it convenient.

Jan 21st, 2008, 10:32 PM

Our family stayed at the Hotel Abbazia (http://www.abbaziahotel.com/en/index.htm), very close (like within a short block) to the train station. We had two rooms on the ground floor. This might work out well for you. There are also suite available.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM

We stayed 3 nights last Sept. at a small B&B within a 3-5 minute walk to St. Mark's Square: B&B Corte Campana, run by a delightful, helpful young man named Riccardo. Only 3 rooms (all spacious & clean)-- ask for one of the 2 w/bathroom in the room; the other has bathroom off the hall. One of the rooms w/bathroom inside could sleep 4-6. An expanded continental b'fast is included in the price. If I recall, we spent about 180-190 euros per night -- quite reasonable for Venice accommodations (cash only). Only drawback is a 3-flight walk up the stairs, but Riccardo will assist with the luggage. We are in our mid-60's & really didn't have that much trouble with the stairs. A great location for all the Venice sites! Check out its website. Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:32 PM

what about renting an apartment in venice? it's less expensive than you think, and there's a wide range of prices and locations. i manage four apts belonging to friends who only live here part of the year. (there is also one apartment left available for carnival btw, much less than a hotel room). you can e-mail me at [email protected] , cheers!

Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM

When my party of 6 - myself and DH, two teenage sons, my daughter and her boyfriend - stayed in Venice we stayed at B&B Al Teatro.
www.bedandbreakfastalteatro.com

It is on the canal at the back La Fenice. All the singing gondaliers go past here BTW - fun.

There are 3 rooms - two doubles and one large one that can sleep 4 (or I believe even 5). Hosts are very nice and helpful with good restaurant recommendations etc.

It is near Vaporetto stop S. Maria del Giglio. To get to the B& B from the vaporetto stop there are no bridges to cross.

The B&B is up one flight of stairs.

Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM

Take a look at http://www.wenicevenice.it
We stayed there in 2006 and booked all 3 rooms. San Trovaso is a huge 3 bdrm 2 bath unit on the 2nd floor and Romite is a 2 bdrm 1 ba with a sofa bed also on 2nd floor. No lift and also no A/C which could be a problem in warm weather. Great Dorsoduro area around the corner from wine bar A gia schiavi and the gondola workshop.