Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where did you go to get the best airfare to Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 03:23 PM
sandi

I have tried on-line site, like travelocity..etc..I've called travel agents and I've talked to the airlines directly. There are so many options and no way to know if the fare I'm about to pay is the best one. Any particular place you found that give you a great deal..or at least a fair one?

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 03:04 AM
dawn

It will all depend on what season you go in. We started looking in January for a June trip and found it very expensive @$600 so we decided not to go. Then when I was looking for a friend I found airfare in April for $350 and ended up going after all. I did a lot of internet searches (cheap fares, cheap tickets, travelocity etc...) and called airlines. I got the price that I wanted from Travelocity (the airline wouldn't match it) although I will never buy from them again because their customer service is so poor when they sent me the tickets with the wrong return airport. I think that you need to keep doing searches and keep in mind of the time that you want to go and maybe driving further to a bigger airport if that is possible for you.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 09:56 AM
Paul J

Hi Sandi; You might want to look at www.tiss.com It's a consolidator. I used them for a trip from Chicago to Milan. They performed very well for us. They will probably put you in touch with some travel agent who deals in consolidator tickets. It's worth a try!!....Paul J

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 08:26 AM
Dayle

I used Cheapseats, a consolidator out of California recommended by a travel agent friend. I got an LAX - Malpensa - Venice - LAX for $562 purchased 6 months in advance on Lufthansa for May 2000. All other sources were quoting prices in the $1200 range for an economy seat - unbelievable!

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 09:43 AM
sally

haven't seen any real cheap tickets to italy this summer. i looked at travelocity for the cheapest fare (which wasn't real cheap) but then went to the airline website and booked it. travelocity gives you the whole itinerary. paid the airline the same price travelocity quoted. sometimes you can get cheap tickets at the last minute but from what i have read most of the planes to italy are full this year so there really haven't been any good deals there.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 12:01 PM
Al

Sandi, <BR> I think it depends on what time of year you are going also. I paid $550 for Detroit-Milan direct on NW when I bought in Jan. Paid $600 for late Sep last year. <BR> This year, I have been looking EVERY day for the past 3 months for Detroit-Milan in Mid Sept, and have yet to see any sales/fares for less than $825. <BR> When I bought my May tickets, prices were &gt;$800 until late Jan, then on sale for ~3-4 weeks, then back up until ~6 weeks prior to my trip for ~ 2 weeks, then back up. <BR> Keep at it. <BR>Al