Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where can I go in Paris to send an e-mail? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-can-i-go-in-paris-to-send-an-e-mail-178075/)

Susan Aug 20th, 2001 10:31 AM

Where can I go in Paris to send an e-mail?

My mother and I are going to Paris in Sept. I'd like to be able to e-mail my husband instead of having to try to be at a phone when he is home. Does Paris have internet cafes? Anybody know where they are located? Thanks. <BR>

Lori Aug 20th, 2001 10:38 AM

Yes, paris has internet cafes, but unfortunately I can't give you exact locations. We found one in the Montmartre area, at the base of the steps, and one in 5e near the Familia. I suspect they are all over Paris, you should check with your hotel.

sarah Aug 20th, 2001 10:54 AM

31/37 Boulevard de Sébastopol store open 24 hours a day, EVERY day. Sant Michel opening summer 2001, Champs Elysées opens 2002. <BR>Number of PCs currently available: 375 <BR>We visited easy everything (see address above) it cost 20ff and the amount of time you could spend on the net depended upon how busy they were.

Book Chick Aug 20th, 2001 10:54 AM

Susan, <BR>Try these: <BR> <BR>Cafe Orbital, 13 rue des Medicis in the 6th, Metro is Odeon <BR> <BR>Le Jardin de l'Internet, 79 Boulevard Saint-Michel, in the 5th, Metro is Luxembourg <BR> <BR>Le Vill@age Webb, 18 rue de la bucherie, in the 5th, Metro is Saint-Michel <BR> <BR>Le Web Bar, 32 rue de Picardie in the 3rd, Metros Republique-Temple <BR> <BR>Hope these help, <BR>BC

Betty Aug 20th, 2001 10:57 AM

Repeating my post from under another heading in case you didn't dee it there. <BR> <BR>Author: Betty ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 8/20/2001, 2:52 pm ET <BR> <BR>Message: This site lists a bunch of internet cafes in Paris as well as other French cities. Got to it off Rick Steves' site. <BR>http://www.netcafeguide.com/countries/france3.html#PARI <BR> <BR> <BR>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <BR> <BR>

Book Chick Aug 20th, 2001 11:12 AM

Betty, <BR>You are a true gem! <BR>BC

Capo Aug 20th, 2001 11:29 AM

Hi Susan. In Rome this past spring, I discovered an amazing Internet cafe called Easyeverything (at Piazza Barberini), part of chain which has these in most major cities in Europe as well as (I think) New York City and other locations. They're huge -- I think the Rome location has about 350 terminals -- and fairly inexpensive (they use "time pricing", with the rate depending on what time of day you're there.) <BR> <BR>There's one location in Paris, with more one supposedly added this summer, and one more set to open in 2002. <BR> <BR>Here's the website with the Paris locations: <BR> <BR>http://www.easyeverything.com/frames/par_index.html

Betty Aug 20th, 2001 11:41 AM

Why, thank you, BC. <BR>BC

Fred Aug 20th, 2001 12:01 PM

Cyber Cafes in Paris: <BR> <BR>Note: With the increase in the number of home computers, some of these may have closed - give them a call before you schlep over. Also, if you need AOL, check to see if they have AOL access - they all don’t. Cafe Orbital seems to be the most popular. There'also a site for them - http:/www.cybercaptive.com <BR> <BR>Cafe Orbital. 13 Rue de Medicis, Paris 6. Metro Odeon, Tel: 01.43.25.76.77 - near the Luxembourg gardens. Costs 55 francs an hour. Open Monday through Saturdays from 10am to 10pm. Closed on Sundays. <BR> <BR>Cyber Cube - aol loaded machines with English keyboards. Four locations: <BR>9, rue d'Odessa - 14th <BR>3, rue Moliere - 1st <BR>12, rue Daval - 11th <BR>5, rue Mignon - 6th <BR> <BR>Easy Everything <BR>37 Blvd de Sebastopol <BR> <BR>Clicktown <BR>15 rue de Rome <BR> <BR>Hammam Cafe: 4 Rue des Rosiers, Paris 4. Metro St.Paul, tel: 01.42.78.04.45. Costs 50 francs an hour or 30 francs for half an hour. Open Sunday through Thursday from Noon to 2am. Friday from Noon to 4pm and Saturday from 4 pm to 2am. <BR> <BR>New Works <BR>On rue Auber at the intersection of rues Auber, Mathurins, and Caumartin. Buy a card for 10FF, then put on as much time as <BR>you wish at one franc per minute. Computers are upstairs. No longer has AOL loaded machines so you can get and send e-mail but can't get to the boards. <BR> <BR>Centre d'Applications de Recherches Informatiques (C.A.R.I) <BR>72-74 Passage de Choiseul <BR>75002 Paris. Tel: 01-44-58-90-85 Open M-F 10:00a.m. to 8:00p.m. 1:00-8:00 on Sat. 36FF for 1 hour. <BR> <BR>Cafe Cyberia: In the Centre Georges Pompidou, Mezzanine East, Metro Rambuteau, Paris 4.Tel: 01.44.54.53.49 Costs 30 francs for a half an hour and 50 francs for a full hour. Open Monday, Wednesday to Friday from noon till 10pm, Saturday and Sunday from 10am till 10pm. <BR> <BR>Espace Vivendo <BR>6-8 rue de Tilsitti <BR>75008 <BR>Tel: 01-71-71-15-00 <BR>between Ave Friedland and Hoche <BR>ultra modern, with at least 50 <BR>computers, a café, and bookstore all in one <BR> <BR>Forum des Images: In the Grande Galerie inside Les Halles, Metro Les Halles, Paris 1. Tel: 01.44.76.62.00. Costs 25 francs per half hour. <BR> <BR>Web Bar. 32 Rue de Picardie, Paris 3. Metro Republique, tel: 01.42.72.66.55 Using a computer costs 30 francs for 30 minutes. Open daily from 11:30am to 2am. <BR> <BR>Micro Universite <BR>13, rue Champollion <BR>75005 Paris <BR> <BR>Planet Cyber <BR>173, rue de Vaugirard <BR>75015 <BR> <BR>Le Breguet <BR>72, rue Falguiere <BR>75015 Paris <BR>

RC Aug 20th, 2001 12:07 PM

The last time that I visited Paris, all the hotels that I stayed in (St. Germain / 6th Arr) all had internet-ready PC's at the lobby. I was able to e-mail people form there - by connecting to my own ISP or, much easier, using my Yahoo e-mail). <BR>I cannot assume that all hotels have Internet-ready PC's for their guests, but, perhaps, it wouldn't hurt to ask yopur hotel.

Susan Aug 20th, 2001 01:22 PM

Thanks for all the replys! Looks like I'll have no trouble finding one near our hotel in the 6th. I appreciate all this info. Only 4 weeks to go!

AGM/Cape Cod Aug 20th, 2001 02:24 PM

Susan- <BR> I don't know if you would consider it a cafe but we used the Ici & Click to send cyber postcards when we were in Paris in July. They have two locations in the 6eme.at 12 rue de l'Eperon and 14 rue du Jardinet. They charge 45 ff for an hour of computer use. We had to open a hotmail account since we didn't know our regular email access numbers. I am so jealous. Have a great trip. <BR>

Susan Aug 20th, 2001 06:21 PM

AGM, When you say cyber postcards, do you mean you can send a picture along with your message? That would be fun. Also, when you mentioned access codes, are you talking about being able to read your email from your home computer? I don't really care about that, I just want to quickly send one or two from Paris, not spend too much time there. Thanks for the info. <BR>

Carla Aug 20th, 2001 06:53 PM

Hi -- <BR>Sounds like this topic's well covered! Just to add my advice from another post -- try cybercafes.com to locate cafes in any city. <BR> <BR> Or -- what I've always done -- just ask the hotel desk clerk; they always seem to know the nearest and cheapest. <BR> <BR>And finally -- there's internet access at the information booth in the middle of the shopping mall under the Louvre pyramid. I sent a quick email from there just for the novelty of saying "sending this from the Louvre."

captain kirk Aug 20th, 2001 09:51 PM

for the best internet sites in euroope and paris its www.easyeverything.com the best internet sites. and for a free internet go to the toyota dealer shop on champs elysee, its free, its across the virgin megastore. <BR> <BR>have fun <BR> <BR>"We are the Microsoft, er, the Borg, your unique operating system will be assimilated and become ours, resistance is futile!!"

Art Aug 20th, 2001 10:07 PM

If the computer has MS Internet Explorer and you have an AOL account, just type in aolmail.com to get to your aol account. You can both read and send. <BR>Art <BR>

Karen Aug 21st, 2001 07:29 AM

We found the tourist office in the Louvre "mall" very convienient. And they have English keyboards. Also the Galeries Lafayette in the computer department. Although you will have to deal with the French keyboards....I didn't know they were different until I got there and it slows u down a lot!