Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where can I find paintings by Van Gough in France?

Oct 12th, 2002, 10:28 PM
sparklegem

Hoping to view paintings by Van Gough while we are in France. Could anyone suggest the best musuems that feature his work?

Oct 13th, 2002, 02:13 AM
Ann

The majority of his paintings in France are at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris, but it is well worth visiting Auvers sur Oise to see the sites where he painted. There is a well marked route with reroductions of his paintings at each site. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I alos found the following website. It will make you wnat to go to Amsterdam.
http://www.vangoghgallery.com/

Oct 16th, 2002, 07:11 PM
rlr

Welll, you can purchase copies of Van Gough paintings (an others) at the little booths along the Seine River near the Latin Quarter. We purchase a lovely one of sunflowers in a vase for our daughter who adores Van Gough and she was thrilled to hang it in her room.

Oct 16th, 2002, 07:34 PM
StCirq

The Musée d'Orsay has the largest collection I'm aware of (including some of his absolute classics like "Starry Night"). In Auvers-sur-Oise you can see his - and his brother Theo's - grave and the church he painted there and the now tavern he stayed at - it's a restaurant now. There's also a fabulous exhibition at the château there on the rise of the Impressionist movement, showing how technological and sociological changes moved the movement along, because of the railroads and the newly found wealth of the patrons, etc. - one of the most interesting exhibits I've seen anywhere.

It's van Gogh, by the way, not van Gough, pronounced roughly "fan Goch." Dutch is such a terrible language.

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:22 AM
jen

"Dutch is such a terrible language:...come on, just because it sounds like we're "coughing up a looger the size of a cocker spaniel" (thanks, Dave Barry)? Just think the "ch" as in the LoCH Ness Monster and the "au" as in 'caught' and say "Fon CHauCH".

Not in France, but I think the most surprising collection of paintings by van Gogh is in the Kroeller-Mueller Museum in Otterloo near Arnhem (NL).

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Sans the "u"

Van Gogh is best viewed in Paris at the Musee D'Orsay.

Oct 17th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Susan

Just as everyone has said - the Orsay. We recently went to Paris for the first time and loved it. We particularly love VanGogh. My husband said "If we had done nothing else but see the VanGogh's at the Orsay the trip would have been worth it!"

Oct 17th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Hiho

Dear StCirq - I hate to quibble, but Starry Night has been the property of the Museum of Modern Art in New York since the painting was bequested to it by L. Bliss in 1941.

Oct 17th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Artsy

Hiho's right. The d'Orsay has Starry Night Over the Rhone, which is not the super-famous Starry Night.

While we're quibbling, the first G in van Gogh is not a guttural, but is pronounced like a hard G in English.

Oct 17th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Artsy

Me, again. I didn't mean to suggest that St. Cirq got the pronunciation wrong. She's the one who got it right.

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:39 PM
vv

Never mind, when in France you will have to learn an entirely different pronunciation

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:53 PM
StCirq

You know, HiHo, the minute I got into bed to read last night I realized I had misstated the "Starry Night" information. I wasn't up to trundling downstairs and logging on again to correct myself. But thank you for doing so. The painting I am thinking of in the d'Orsay is also "starry," though - it's one of a shoreline, I think, with stars exploding like fireworks all over it _ but I can't remember the name.

The Kroeller-Museum does have a lovely collection of Van Gochs. And it was absolutely ages ago, but I remember seeing some beautiful Van Gochs in the a museum in Prague that I had never known existed.