Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy Italian train tickets online?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Anna

We wanted to travel from Rome to Venice for a few days and had to book the hotel rooms in Venice. Now I'm nervous that we can't buy the train tickets to get there although it's low season in February.<BR><BR>The Trenitalia site doesn't allow on-line purchase of tickets for some reason and I was wondering if there are any other sites to purchase round trip Rome-Venice tickets (not the passes).<BR><BR>Thanks for any help that anyone can give me!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Rex

I wouldn't recommend it since the mark up can be 40-to-80% higher than simply waiting and buying them there - - but you can buy from www.raileurope.com or 1-888-4EURAIL<BR><BR>And I think there might be one other source in North America.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Bob Brown

The RE markup is such that you could approximately breakeven if you waited until you were in Italy and bought first class tickets. Usually there are vacant seats in first class. Being assured of a seat is about the only reason I can think of to buy any European rail ticket while in the US, or from the US. I do it for the TGV from Paris to Bern for Sunday travel to assure that I will be able to travel on the dates I want.<BR>But anything else, I wait until I am in Europe, with the possible exception of some very crowded routes on Sunday afternoons.<BR>

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Ben Haines

I agree that advanced booking is needless. If you still want it, please try<BR>Euraide, offices in Florida and Germany: http://www.euraide.de/. Telephone in USA 1 941-480-1555. Fax 1 941-480-1522. E-mail [email protected]<BR>DER travel agency in the USA, owned by German rail: http://www.der.com. E mail for information [email protected] and for sales [email protected]<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Sara

I was advised on this site to wait until I got to Rome to purchase train tickets and this was the right thing to do. We pruchased the tickets from the automated machine at the station and didn't have a problem, we even decided to changed to train we came back on to a train in rush hour, this was at 15 mins notice and it was no problem.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Betsy

Buy your tickets at the American Express office by the Spanish steps. They speak English, there are no lines, absolutely hassle-free!

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Johonna

Actually, the Trenitalia web page will let you buy tickets, you just have to call their help desk and set a password. We did that and now have no trouble buying our tickets online. Even better, you can pick them up at the machines in the station instead of waiting in line (remeber though, some of the smaller stations do not have the ticket machine). In any event, there was no problem not speaking english, just remeber that they are about 10 hours ahead of pst. You can also get a seat reservation through the trenitalia web page. Very helpful for the busy routes. -- Good luck! <BR>Johonna