Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where are you? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-are-you-35927/)

Denise Dec 27th, 1998 07:07 PM

Where are you?

I have been reading Fodors for 15 months now and of course, the same names are always contributing such helpful information. Most of you seem to come from the US. Where are you from. I have mental pictures of your faces, but can't place you on the map. Bob the Nav - well, he looks to me like a man sitting at a desk surrounded by books map and many many travel diaries of his own, but Susan the Nav, what a happy smiling person she is with a husband like Bob who is always plotting and planning a wonderful holiday for her. I don't know where they come from, or what their occupation is. <BR>I am in charge of a Retail Business and live in Queensland Australia. Can the other contributors make my new year and let me put the face to the map. <BR>

Dayle Dec 27th, 1998 07:35 PM

Wonderful idea, Denise! For those who care to divulge -- I contribute occasionally because I have only been to Europe twice, so far. Can't wait to go again. I live in Orange County, California (native). My true area of expertise is SKIING AND SNOW! Ask me anything, I love to talk about skiing. It's an expensive sport, but my life passion! I would have to say that all the years of skiing experiences all over the western US and Canada have provided me with many of the same benefits of travel. Interesting people, beautiful sights, educational experiences, etc., etc. I wouldn't trade the millions of miles on skis for anything!

Maira Dec 27th, 1998 08:07 PM

Hi Denise! I live in Upstate New York and work as an Environmental Engineer. My husband's (as well as my own) occupation have taken us all over the US and Europe and we are blessed for that. Most like yourself, I am always at awe at how helpful and generous are the contributors to this forum. It truly is the Internet at its finest. Love of travel and history (which I got from my father) keeps me visiting this site every day. <BR>

Monica Dec 28th, 1998 03:32 AM

Hi Denise. I live in Frederick, Maryland and work for the Department of Veterans Affairs and I am a Contracting Officer. My husbands a pilot and part-time police officer. I LOVE to travel and my husband enjoys it as well. This coming May were off to France!!!

ilisa Dec 28th, 1998 04:52 AM

Hi! I live in Germantown, MD and work in Washington, DC as a Legislative Associate for a scientific association. My husband works for the government. So feel free to ask me anything about DC. My husband's job takes him all around the world and the US; unfortunately, I can't travel with him on overseas trips. However, we adore travel, and are fortunate that his soccer playing takes us to Europe. This forum is wonderful, and I have learned so much from it. The knowledge of the contributors to this board is astounding. Thanks, everyone.

Lee Dec 28th, 1998 05:10 AM

Hi, Denise! <BR> <BR>I would have suspected our beloved Mr. Fowler to come up with this one! It is interesting to find out about everyone. <BR> <BR>I (live and) work in Erie, Pennsylvania as an engineering technician at General Electric, where we build locomotives. I've lived around the east coast from Boston to Jamaica as a kid and was one of the last to go to Vietnam in 1973. In 1983, I landed a job with Lockheed Martin and worked in Frankfurt, Germany until 1986, when I moved to Cleveland, Ohio to work for Lucas Aerospace until 1993 when the industry took a downturn. I returned "home" to Erie and have been with GE ever since. <BR> <BR>I have been back to Germany in 1997, on my honeymoon, we have gone to Paris this past January and we are currently planning a return trip to Bavaria for May, 1999. <BR> <BR>This forum has provided both ideas and answers for us and I certainly enjoy it. Thanks, everyone!

dan Dec 28th, 1998 06:30 AM

Great idea. I am in my mid-thirties and work as a marketing analyst in Burlington, NC. I live in Durham, which is 40+ miles away. My educational background includes advanced degrees in Marketing and European History from the University of Wisconsin (quite a combination, huh?) and undergrad at UNC - so I am a big Tar Heels fan. I am married to the supervisor of the state virology lab. We love to travel at least once a year - so far to Europe, Asia, Mexico, and Canada. I do occasionally travel in the US and Canada for work. The pleasure travel may lessen soon, since our first child (a girl) is due in March. I am determined to go somewhere great for New Years next year though. A year ago, I got into photography very seriously. My other interests include reading classic novel, sports, collecting toys and sports memorabilia, and studying foreign languages. I am also a big Rick Steves fan. My dream is to find a way to make money while travelling a lot or by helping others travel.

dan Dec 28th, 1998 06:32 AM

Great idea. I am in my mid-thirties and work as a marketing analyst in Burlington, NC. I live in Durham, which is 40+ miles away. My educational background includes advanced degrees in Marketing and European History from the University of Wisconsin (quite a combination, huh?) and undergrad at UNC - so I am a big Tar Heels fan. I am married to the supervisor of the state virology lab. We love to travel at least once a year - so far to Europe, Asia, Mexico, and Canada. I do occasionally travel in the US and Canada for work. The pleasure travel may lessen soon, since our first child (a girl) is due in March. I am determined to go somewhere great for New Years next year though. A year ago, I got into photography very seriously. My other interests include reading classic novel, sports, collecting toys and sports memorabilia, and studying foreign languages. I am also a big Rick Steves fan. When I travel, I am a huge planner - my friends who have travelled with me are amazed when I can point out all the major sites and cite facts about them upon arrival at a new destination. My dream is to find a way to make money while travelling a lot or by helping others travel.

elaine Dec 28th, 1998 07:22 AM

Hi, all. <BR>Hope everyone had/is having a good Chanukah.Christmas, Ramadan, or Kwaanza. <BR>I am in my mid-40s, originally from Syracuse, NY (Hi, Maira), lived in Albany NY for three years, and in New York City for the past 20 (gasp!). <BR>I started European traveling in 1981 with my first trip which was to Greece <BR>(Athens and Corfu) which I had been yearning to go to because one of my favorite novels took place in Greece <BR>(Crete, actually, but why quibble). <BR>I have not been back to Greece, although I very much want to. I have been to Paris several times; Seoul, Korea for the 88 Olympics; London a few times, and I took my first trip to Italy this past October when I went to Florence and Venice. 1998 has been a banner travel year for me because I got to go to London in March and Italy in October, the first time I took two European trips in one year.That is a big deal for me and my budget. <BR>I hope to go back to Paris for a short trip in fall of 99 when it will have been four years since I was last there, which is entirely too long. <BR>And Denise, I hope very much to get to Australia some day. <BR>I am a planner and researcher too, and for me the reading and planning for a trip is an enjoyable pasttime in itself. <BR>I also enjoy reading fiction, but very little contemporary fiction, mostly pre-1940. I am also a theatre nut, which is an convenient but expensive addiction in New York. <BR>I studied to be a psychologist but now manage real estate for a major medical center in New York. Go figure. <BR>What I am always impressed with among some of the star contributors to this forum is their command of current details, like what time the Louvre is open or how long the train trip to Versailles takes. I would have to look up those details in my files and guidebooks at home, but I can only access this forum at work where I don't have travel info at my fingertips. <BR>Speaking of which, back to work! <BR>elaine <BR> <BR>

Ismael Libanio Dec 28th, 1998 08:33 AM

Hi Denise; <BR>very good idea. I'm from Brazil and I live in Belo Horizonte (Minas Gerais State). I have a great interest in travel. I'm a retired physician and now I'm a travel consultant and I have my office at home.

wes fowler Dec 28th, 1998 08:43 AM

Hi, Denise, <BR>Congratulations for a wonderful question that will, I'm sure prompt many replies. I'm retired from one of the major oil companies and a former corporate vagabond who has moved about the United States extensively. Presently I reside in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. I first traveled to Paris for three weeks over 30 years ago and manage a trip to Europe every other year or so. I was in Berlin when the wall went up, in Paris during the riots of '68, have visited Germany, Austria, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, Switzerland and northern Italy on numerous occasions. You're perceptions of Bob the Navigator pretty well describe my environment when logging on to Fodor: bookshelves lined with guides, historical novels, travel memoirs; cabinets filled with maps, clippings from newspaper travel sections, brochures from tourist offices and personal travel diaries. Hundreds of websites bookmarked for future reference. I love to travel and love to plan for travels as well, whether for myself or others. The greatest pleasure comes from correspondence from travelers thanking me for my suggestions or recommendations since I only recommend places or things I've experienced myself.

Joy Dec 28th, 1998 08:55 AM

Dear Denise, <BR>I have often wondered the same thing. Who are all these wonderful people who have provided my with priceless information. I live in San Diego with my husband. We have travelled fairly extensively, but not enough--there are so many places I wish to go. We are going to Spain and France in the Spring--I think it is my 18th trip to Europe. <BR>

Linda Dec 28th, 1998 09:52 AM

Your question is one probably many have wondered. I'm an attorney in Dallas, Texas. Growing up I traveled extensively in US. Canada and Mexico were added. After attending summer law program in Canterbury, England; I got hooked on Western Europe. When the East opened up, I had to go.

Cheryl Z. Dec 28th, 1998 09:53 AM

<BR>Happy New Years to all. What a good question! I too have often wondered about the others. My husband and I are in our mid-late 50's, have our own business which can give us some flexibility usually for traveling (and other times really tie us down!) and live in Seattle. My husband plans most of our trips, does lots of research. Some of our trips are just spontaneous too. We've been to many countries in Europe several times, Australia, Japan, several places in Mexico, to Hawaii lots, and all over the US including Canada. Right now we just booked a trip to Hawaii in 3 weeks (our belated Chrstmas), will be in Puerto Vallarta in March/April, Pennsylavania beginning of May, New Zealand in October, and who knows where else. I'm glad I can contribute to this forum when possible, and I've also benefited greatly by reading other posters experiences. Thanks to all.

Myriam Dec 28th, 1998 10:15 AM

Hi Denise, <BR> <BR>I am a fairly new contributor to this forum and it seems that I am the first European to react. I am a 44 yrs young woman and I live in Belgium with my husband and son. We love to travel and to learn about the habits and uses of people all over the world. <BR>Season's greetings ! <BR>

Al Clem Dec 28th, 1998 10:45 AM

I, like Zorba the Greek, use several aliases...including Arizona and Aurora. <BR>We live in Sedona, Arizona, a town of 16,000 persons about mid-way between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon, at 4,500 ft. altitude. We are retired; I am 71 and Ruth, my wife, is catching up with me. I am a veteran of WW2 and the Korean War. I once was with organized crime; that is, I was a banker. We travel when we can, and have been to many parts of the world. My hobby: woodturning in my workshop, known as the Rockingchair-C Ranch. My 100-lb. Black Lab dog helps me with my research and writing; he is the one with the intelligent look, endless patience, and sweet disposition. We love to exchange e-mail with all the wonderful folks who use Fodor's web site -- it's the greatest.

Byrd Rish Dec 28th, 1998 11:47 AM

What fun to find such a great question upon my return to the forum after about a week off for Christmas craziness and a wonderful house full of four generations (from my 85-year-old- mother to our two-year-old grandson). Anyway, my husband John and I live in Demopolis, Alabama, a small town in the west central part of the state. We have always loved traveling, particularly ski trips--we've been taking Colorado ski trips for about 25 years. Our European experiences began year before last, with a trip to Belgium and Paris. Last year we had a delightful trip to Italy, and this year a group of eight friends had a wonderful 10 days in France (planned with much great help from you folks on the forum). John retired four yars ago from the paper industry (he's an electrical engineer by degree, but spent most of his career in operations). I was editor and reporter (and most everything else!) for the local newspaper for years. <BR>

francesca Dec 28th, 1998 12:04 PM

Like most Diplo-Brats (dad was in the Foreign Service), I got used to traveling around the world and had to find a way to keep doing it as an adult. I am a search consultant and live in Paris with my French husband and half-French baby girl. I've done a great deal of US and intl. business and pleasure travel, though I've had to take a break following childbirth, so have been lurking and posting info about my adopted hometown more than asking questions. My keenest hope is to be able to use this forum to get some advice in 1999! Please send me encouraging mail re: traveling with a tiny baby! This is a wonderful site, and I'm very grateful for all I've learned so far.

Bill Barr Dec 28th, 1998 12:23 PM

Hi everyone <BR> <BR>OK...I'll be the second European to respond. <BR> <BR>I'm 39, married, live in Glasgow, Scotland and work for the Royal Bank in Edinburgh. <BR> <BR>Travel for me and mine has become an obsession rather than just an interest. That's why this forum is so fantastic. I need my daily fix! <BR> <BR>We spend a lot of our free time in Greece and are happy to help anyone who needs information. <BR> <BR>Bill <BR> <BR>Bill

Tom Dec 28th, 1998 01:36 PM

Denise, <BR>I currently live in Flemington, New Jersey. I'm actually a Southerner that has lived in West Virginia, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia , Florida and most recently Roswell, Georgia. Siemens made me an offer I couldn't refuse, Vice President, Sales for Siemens Credit Corporation so we relocated to the cold Northeast. I travel about 75,000 miles per year on Delta and count the miles and the days until I can get back to Europe.