Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where are the best Paris Street Markets? Any near city center?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Paris the first week of October and I want to shop at some of the street markets; stopped by one near the Bastille last year. We will be staying in the 1st district this time and I would love your advice on where to go to look for jewelry, scarves, small gifts, etc., no junk but not extravagant either. I would really appreciate some help.
THANKS! Becky
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 09:15 AM

There are no roving street markets right in the first but there is a market street--Rue Montorgreuil just up from Les Halles. I recall it as mostly food rather than clothing and trinkets. You might find more of that at the Maubert market on Blvd St. Germain at the Maubert metro stop. It operates Tues, Thurs and Sat.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM

If you're looking for gifts, the regular street markets in Paris may not be the best venue. There's an artists' market in Montparnasse every Sunday from 10 to early afternoon that has unique things, many very affordable. Actually, I'm not sure if it's open year round - probably not - but I'm fairly sure it would be in October. And for a much more "exotic" experience, try the Belleville market - lots of inexpensive items there besides food.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Sounds like you might like some of the brocantes
Take a look at this site
www.spam.fr
It does not have your October dates, yet, but will soon. It shows the arrondissemnt and all. They are fun.
Joan
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM

I created a list last year - I will email it - not sure if all are open in October - I would post here but cannot figure how to attach a document
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM

My email is [email protected] - Email me and I will send you the list
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:29 AM

There are roving markets in the 1st. There is one at St Eustache/Les Halles in the afternoon right at the beginning of rue Montmartre (I think Thursday, but maybe also Sunday morning). They will have some jewelry, probably, but mostly food.

se markets are often best for food, except for the real big ones. I wouldn't do gift shopping when I said "no junk" at any roving street market. Go to a decent store, there are tones of them, for jewelry and scarves. You can actually get scarves about every other store in the tourist areas, say along rue de Rivoli. I like Nereides for jewelry, there is one in the 3rd near Etienne Marcel metro stop, but they have boutiques in some of the big stores, also, and one over in St Germain. http://www.lesnereides.com/
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM

You might try the flea market at Porte de Vanves. I always see lots of jewelry and bits and pieces. Saturday morning are the best. There are a few scarves and the like at Richard Lenoir market on Thus and Sundays at Place Bastille . I think that might have been the one you went to. On Saturday it's and arts and crafts market so you might find something there
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am checking out all the links you have mentioned. Avalon, yes I think that was the one so we may check out their arts and craft Saturday one too. Keep the suggestions coming!
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM

I love the flea markets at Vanves and St.Ouen. Both are easily accessible by metro within about a half hour from the 1st arrondissment.

Vanves is smaller and requires less time.
http://mymelange.net/mymelange/2007/...ea-market.html

http://www.bonjourparis.com/story/vanves-flea-market/

My personal favorite is St. Ouen. It's often criticized as too expensive, but I have always found that it goes from high to low end and have found some remarkable (and inexpensive) pieces. Given its size, you need to take the time to explore. I usually spend an entire day there and there are several cafes to stop and rest.

a good general overview,
http://www.parispuces.com/en/historique/Default.htm

This is a wonderful photo essay of St.Ouen just a few months ago,
http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...ad=3319&page=1
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

CopperandJade; Thanks SO MUCH for that link on Vanves Flea Market, it was great. I am going to make an effort to get there and look around. I really appreciate the information.
Becky