Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When you return to a city, do you stay in the same place?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know some people do. They have their favorite Paris hotels (this example seems to come up most often), and they stay there time after time.

On our next trip with my daughter and me, she specifically requested that for the two cities we are revisiting, that we stay in the same hotels we did before. She likes the idea that she will feel oriented, plus she liked the places we stayed last time.

I see the advantages of both. On the one hand, with a new hotel in a new location, you see a different part of the city. On the other hand, if you return to the same place that you liked before, you are rewarding good service and you can feel reasonably assured of a pleasant stay.

What do you like to do?
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM

As to Paris, I like staying in different areas. I feel I see more.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Have stayed at three different hotels now in Paris, and enjoyed each one for different reasons. I also like the idea of exploring new neighbourhoods.

However, there is always a chance that one of the hotels might have been a dud, and I'd be kicking myself in hindsight for not returning to an old favourite.

My rule of thumb is a T.A. rating of 3.5+, with recent positive reviews.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM

It depends - if travelling with our children, we need two rooms and that changes the budget; if we can use points, then we stay at those properties. We stayed at the same place in Brugges due to it being just a long weekend, we wanted to be familiar with the location, etc. Will be staying at a higher end property this time in Venice since we'll be without kids; I personally would rather spend additional $$ on meals, wine, etc since the hotel is more or less a place to sleep and shower. We go to outstanding places for a drink or to watch the sunset which provides the experience as well. I use Venere and TA for their descriptions and reviews, then decide. If its been a positive experience, then we consider staying there again.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:49 AM

For the last 5 years, my husband and I have been staying at the same hotel in London. However, since our trip in 2008 will include our 13 year old niece, we will be renting a flat.

Here's the kicker - the flat is *very* close our usual hotel. For us it boils down to location. We *can*, if we have to, stay someplace different, we just want to be in the same location!
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I always think "this is fabulous, let's come back", but then when it's time the pull of the new is always stronger, and we go somewhere else, even in the same city. Usually that place turns out to be cool, too, and if it doesn't, well, you can't get blackjack on every hand, can you?
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM

To me the hotel is a very important part of the over all experience of travel.

A hotel with ambience and comforting surroundings can be a real pleasant place to rest up during the day after a long morning walk, or a haven to spend some time on days when the weather is not amiable.

Location is the most important ingredient when I choose a place to stay, but the environment of the hotel is a major issue as well. I love returning to hotels I have enjoyed.

Old May 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM

When we travel to Bangkok we have stayed in the same hotel about 5 times. We love the location and the street (called soi's), which are their own little neighborhoods unto themselves. Everything we need - laundry service, local outdoor cafes, a 7-11 to purchase bottled water and a clean massage salon is right there. We love it.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, willtravel,

as with many things in life, it depends.

After staying in the monti area of Rome, [near the colloseum] though we really loved the neighbourhood shops and restaurants, the apartment with its two terraces at a price we could afford, I would still want to try another area - either near the pantheon, or perhaps up by the borghese, which we never got to see.

ditto Paris - I've never stayed on the south bank, so that's what I'd like to do next.

in which cities are these two favourites of your daughter?

regards, ann
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:11 PM

We have and have not, We've stayed in the same spot in paris, latin quater, because we love the area and rooms were great for the price. Other places we've been to twice we've stayed differently. Depends on your travel plans.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM

I prefer to try different neighborhoods. For me that is part of anticipation and enjoyment of a trip -- exploring a new area.

We stayed in the smaller apartment listed on www.lacigaleparis.com the last time we were in France, and we loved it -- the apartment, the neighborhood, the proximity to metro stations, etc. But, in spite of that, we've decided to give another apartment a try -- in the 17th.

Old May 14th, 2007, 04:11 PM

We've been to Paris a few times and have found a hotel which I suspect will be our Paris "regular". We haven't found that in other cities yet and stay in different hotels when we go.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM

If I loved it the first time, I will want to return. I like the comfortable feeling of being in a homey place and seeing the same nice people who work there again.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM

I have a hard time returning to the same city. If I returned to the same hotel in a city I have already visited, I think my head might pop.

Seriously, places that I like enough for a return visit (Paris) I enjoy staying in different neighborhoods to see it from a different perspective. I find it helps me to enjoy the city even more.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM

We've been renting the same flat in London for a month at a time about every 18 months since 1994. The proprietors have replaced a hob in 30 minutes at 7 p.m.; provided us with a cell phone when the land lines have been problematic; stored our larger cases when we abandoned the flat to go to Greece for a week, and let us off the hook for a second flat when friends who were to join us cancelled at the last minute. As long as we continue to receive that kind of service, we won't consider staying anywhere else.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:02 PM

For us, it has to do with whoever makes the reservation. DH usually wants to go back to the same place. I usually ready about someplace wonderful (usually on this site) and want to try staying there. On our upcoming trip to Italy we're splitting the difference. I chose a new place for Florence and we're returning to the same place in Rome.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

> in which cities are these two favourites of your daughter?

Annhig, the two hotels are the Best Western Eden in Amsterdam and the Hotel Mercure Hotel Berlin An Der Charité. She really likes the location of both of these and liked the hotel itself, so on our return visit she really wants to stay in the same hotels. But I think she mainly feels the same way about every European hotel we have been to, it's just that we are revisiting these cities this year. I have booked the Amsterdam already, as it is cancellable, but I'm hesitating on the second, because the cheapest rate is prepaid.

One possible wrinkle in our plan is that it's possible a friend of hers might join, in which case I need to reconsider because of the need for triple rooms or some other sort of multi-person accommodation.

It's interesting to read everyone's perspective.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Since 1983 I have stayed in the same hotel in Nice and Munich twice per year. We have become friends with the owners and the staff. We can always depend on getting a good room even during special events.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:12 PM

I stay wherever I get a home exchange. This year it is in Vienna.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Always, at the Kaminek's apartments in Vienna.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -