When to visit the Guggenheim

Aug 26th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

When to visit the Guggenheim

In early Sept., we're flying in to Bilbao [from BCN] on Thurs. at 11 a.m. and then will be returning to Bilbao by car [from S.S.] sometime on Sunday and staying at the Gran Domine, across from the Gugg, for 1 one night, prior to an early a.m. departure. Question: is there a reason to hit the Gugg on the Thurs we arrive rather than just wait until the Sunday we check in to the G.D. E.g., are Sunday crowds worse? Is there a way to purchase tickets in advance and need they be? Or, should I just have it depend on the weather: if it's crappy on Thursday, hit the museum then and hope for a sunny beach day on Sunday [since we'll be at the Abba Londres across from La Concha in S.S.]? Your advice on the museum would be appreciated
Aug 27th, 2003, 01:23 AM

I'm not much one for Modern Art. I did visit the Guggenheim to see 'The Art of the Motorcycle' (in year 2000?). More recently I have visited Bilbao and taken several photos of the Guggenheim from various locations. Frank Gehry's building is what I consider the best part of the Museum.

Thursday, I would tour Bilbao (i.e., Casco Viejo, etc.) because all the shops and the market on the rio Nervion will be open. Save the Guggenheim for Sunday, even though there may be more people there. Try to squeeze in a visit to la Begonia Cathedral Sunday, also. You may find some activity (i.e., street performers) in that vicinity.
Aug 27th, 2003, 02:53 AM

Hi Wayno,
there are more people on weekends, but it won't be so bad, because all the special exhibitons have been running for a few months already. The tickets queue is not very bad, although if you don't want to wait, you can always buy your tickets at a Teleka (the ATMs of the BBK, one of the local banks). There is one near the Tourist Office by the museum. Servicaixa also sells the tickets through its ATM's, so you might want to buy them in advance in Barcelona. Ask in your hotel, there are many around the city.
Below you will have the Guggenheim's website, with timetables and info about tickets ...
http://www.guggenheim-bilbao.es/ingles/home.htm

I don't know what are your plans. If you are heading straight to San Sebastian on Thursday ... will you pick up a car at the airport? If not, there aren't many places to store luggage in Bilbao, and that could hinder your visit. If you are driving, you can get into town fairly quick with the Archanda tunnel. Afterwards, try to find an enclosed parking place. I wouldn't recommend you to park outside the museum, everybody knows that mostly tourists park there (many with the luggage in their cars).
If I can help you, please write back.

Rgds, Cova
Aug 27th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks alot for the info. We are picking up our car at the Bilbao airport. If we don't stop at the Gugg on Thurs after our morning arrival, the plan is to go straight to S.S. and stay in that area until returning to Bilbao on Sunday. So, unless there is a reason not to hit the museum on Sunday, and apparently there's not, we won't spend any time in Bilbao until then. I hope enough of the tapas places and bars are open Sunday night so we can get some feel for Bilbao other than the Gugg.

Search this Thread