Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When to visit France, Belgium, Tuscany, Portugal, northern Spain

Oct 27th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

I am planning to visit the following countries (3 DIFFERENT trips) and in hopes of avoiding crowds, higher prices and very hot weather, I don't want to go during the summer.

Please comment on whether you think spring or fall or any particular month may be the best time to visit for nice weather and pretty scenery. We like to walk/hike, enjoy the outdoors and meet the locals.

Trip #1: Brittany, Normandy and Belgium

Trip #2: Tuscany, including Cinqe Terre

Trip #3: Portugal and northwest Spain
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Tuscany is admirable during the spring, i suggest March/April. For Portugal I think it's October, still warm but the srewed up prices have gine down.
have a nice trips!
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM

My favorite time to travel to Europe is April, May, then October and November. May is best for me.

Have a great trip.
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM

W/ totally open options, IMO:

Trip #1 - May or June
Trip #2 - Late March through May - or - Late Sept through Oct
Trip #3 - Same as #2
Oct 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Trip #2- Last 2 weeks of May or end of Sept/early Oct.
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Tuscany is lovely in Spring and fall, though it does tend to be higher season, and Spain was amazing when I was there in November/December, but of course rainy.....however deals are good that time of year, and anywhere you go you have to ask: budget vs weather.
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM

I can only comment on trip #3 (Portugal & Northwest Spain). I like to visit places where something is happening, like Santiago de Compostela for 25 July. So, rather than avoid crowds, I like to jump right in there with them.

May is a good month: Once, we got a tremendous deal on a weekend stay at Bahia Mar (Hotel) in Vigo. It was an 8th floor room with balcony, overlooking the Port and facing the Ria; and the rate included buffet breakfast. Vigo hosts a bagpipe (Gaita Gallega) competition each May.

And it usually doesn't get too hot in Coastal Galicia.

Summer peak season officially begins 16 July (la Virgen de Carmen) and continues into early September.
Oct 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

IdaBacon: Wondering what you mean by "Tuscany is admirable during the spring, I suggest March/April." What makes it "admirable?" Will it be shirt sleeve warm late March to April?

janisj: Just wondering why you're suggesting May or June rather than fall for Normandy area

Is Tuscany ever "off season?" Does fall seem to be more crowded with the wine crush than spring? Sometimes it seems as though locals are fatigued by probably the endless questions and crowds of tourists coming through "their" space by the end of the tourist season. Is this the case in Tuscany, and if so, does that make spring a better time to visit?

Appreciate any and all comments.
Oct 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Brittany, Normandy and Belgium you can usually do anytime in terms of weather but I would avoid August in terms of mobs.

For the other areas I would do April or May - best weather, long days and not too many crowds yet.
Oct 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM

A colleague from Paris is headed to Brittany now - but she wants empty beaches and chilly weather for an off-season, deserted family-type vacation.