Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   When to visit Berlin/Dresden/Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/when-to-visit-berlin-dresden-prague-876745/)

richnindy Feb 6th, 2011 08:40 AM

When to visit Berlin/Dresden/Prague

Thanks to all who have already posted messages about a trip we plan to make sometime this spring: Berlin - Dresden - Prague.

My question is: When is the best time to go?

We had thought about early May, but we have read that Prague especially is overrun with tourists and students studying abroad, and hoped to perhaps plan a visit when the crowds are not overwhelming, if that is possible.

Thanks to any advice you can provide!

Ingo Feb 6th, 2011 08:56 AM

I would avoid Dresden in late May/early June - conferences, holidays. My recommendation is to go early in May.

nytraveler Feb 6th, 2011 09:07 AM

I think spring is the best time since you will have fewest european tourists, wether is pleasant and daylight hours are longest.

I would definitely avoid July and Aug - which will be mobbed - and Oct should be pleasant and less crowded - but days will be shorter.

If you are concerned about meetings just check out convention center - and hotels - to see when there is plenty of room.

Just remember that May 1 (Labor Day) is a major holiday - the european labor movement still being alive - unlike that in the US - and almost everything will be closed.

danon Feb 6th, 2011 09:14 AM

I was in all 3 cities in July... many tourists ..but it did not matter. Even in July, Berlin was bit cool and rainy.

richnindy Feb 6th, 2011 01:24 PM

Thanks very much!

Poconolady Feb 7th, 2011 11:09 AM

We visited Prague and Dresden in early Dec. It was fantastic! the Christmas markets were on, concerts were plentiful and yes it was cold, but we just put on more layer and enjoyed everything, even in the snow.The crowds were minimul,except for the markets on weekend evenings. I would visit at that time again in a heartbeat.

Kwoo Feb 7th, 2011 02:50 PM

We visited Prague the first time in October & LOVE going in October. Weather was cool & pleasant & crowds were minimal. Restaurants sold hot mulled wine from their windows!! Lots of fun!!

We also visited Prague in August & while there were crowds, it was not as bad as we expected. I would go again in August if that was the only time we could go.

Kwoo Feb 7th, 2011 02:51 PM

Forgot to add that I think early May would be a fine time to go, too.

J62 Feb 7th, 2011 03:39 PM

I like the weather any time after early May, all the way through September.

I would not be too concerned about crowds - they will be there whenever you go and all 3 cities are large enough to handle lots of tourists.

With the nicer weather you can also get out into the countryside around Dresden, be it a bike ride along the wine trails or a day hiking in the Saxony Switzerland region on the Czech/German border upstream.

One problem, as Ingo mentioned in May/June it becomes a very busy conference city and that drives up hotel rates, especially at the business type hotels. If hotel cost is an issue there are some perfectly fine, lower cost options in Dresden such as the 3 Ibis hotels.

Ingo Feb 7th, 2011 09:06 PM

J62, that's true about the business hotels but on the other hand this year we'll have a Lutheran church congress in Dresden in the first days of June with about 100,000 visitors expected. Hardly any accommodation available anymore for these days.

richnindy Feb 8th, 2011 05:46 AM

Thanks so much for the great ideas, J62.