when to travel to paris?

Search

when to travel to paris?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when to travel to paris?

i am a solo traveller who is planning her first trip to paris, and since this trip will be a new experience for me, i would like to know what time of the year you like to go to paris and why? i had originally planned to go this september but now i am thinking maybe in early 2008.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM

may and september would be my favorites - decent weather usually and less crowds. avoid summer if possible.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:12 AM
ira

Hi P,

Mid-May to mid-June and mid-Sept to mid-Oct.

If you are planning on this Sept, you'ld better get cracking.

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM

As far as I'm concerned, any time is a good time to visit Paris. I've been there in August, September and November, each has their own appeal, the seasonal light differing. During the day light hours you want to be able to walk, walk and more walk (plus Metro), without the weather impeding you. At night, I would walk to a restaurant for dinner, then have the management call a taxi (you might get one with the family dog sitting in the front seat with a silk scarf tied around it's neck-I won't go into the tiny dog I had to smack in the head with a newspaper to stop him barking at me) for safe return to the hotel. I plan to do a solo trip to Paris at some point soon and will stay at one of the small hotels on the Right Bank, behind the Louvre (enter through the Louvre shopping mall-no lines). Go to the Samaritan Dept. Store and up to the roof top deck for a fabulous free view of Paris, different from the view at the top of Sacre Coeur (check out the food hall downstairs for fun gifts to bring home). Have lunch while at the Musee D'Orsay in the old train station dining room. Walk through the Marais to the Picasso Museum. Don't even think about skipping the Rodin. Buy a hot chocolate there and roam around the outdoor sculptures to your heart's content. The Godiva shop along the Intercontinental Hotel near the Louvre sells tins of tea bags -- can't get them in the U.S. Good gift to bring home. Gallerie Lafayette has wonderful Christmas ornaments, if you're there in November/December, as well as Le Mariage tea bags, which I haven't been able to find in the U.S.(only loose tea) here.
There's only one Paris and it's heavenly to be there. I make an attempt to speak French and always get a warm response. I do hold back on smiling - the French tend to be formal and a well placed please and thank you will put you in good stead. So much to see and do! Enjoy every moment, whenever you go.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM
jay

Jan 1 thru Dec 31st. Because it's Paris.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM

travelchat:

The Samaritaine has been closed now for over a year. Sad, but true.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:01 PM

We've been to Paris every month of the year and our favorite time is actually early November. There's a crispness and zest that you don't have in the languid, humid summer months (although this summer has been a different animal altogether). Plus everyone looks so dashing in their dark winter coats, bright scarves and sleek leather gloves.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Oops - didn't know the Samarataine had closed St. Cirq -- indeed a sad thing. Thanks for the update.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM

My wife and I have been to Paris twice in December, once for the month of July, and next time will be for the month of May 2008.

The disadvantage to December, even more than the possibility of cold weather, is how short the daylight is: dark by 4:00 and not light until about 9:00, as we remember it. Paris is very gray in low light, without flowers, etc. in December.

We enjoyed July immensely, even though there are tons of other tourists there. We like to walk and explore on foot (and dans le metro), and dining outside, in considerable light, at 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. when we found an interesting restaurant/bistro/brasserie was a delight.

Our stay extended a few days into August, and almost immediately our favorite dining places were closed for "les vacances annuelles" (as I recall the signs).

Our plan--for good or ill--for 2008 is to be in Paris for the month of Mai (arriving le 30 Avril to avoid the May Day strikes and other possible disruptions)and to have most of the benefit of the longer and warmer days.

But there is no wrong time to be in Paris--just good times and better times.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:21 PM

We've gone now about 20 times always Feb-Mar or Oct-Nov. I actually prefer the Oct-Nov. The weather is a perfect relief after a FL summer. The early sunset does not bother me at all..Paris after dark is just as lovely.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:29 PM

When going to Paris if possible avoid the days when big conventions are on, like the leather , or pret a porter....everything is full and more expensive. The French Tourist Office used to inform on those difficult times to visit Paris.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:52 PM
rex

Hotel room rates are almost double in September, compared to say... Aguust, and this year, in particular, the demand-to-supply curve will result in much worse availability and less likely late-availability bargains, at least in the second half of September - - due to PremiereVision, a very large tradeshow for the fabric industry, and the World Rugby Cup starting Sep 19 and running into early October.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:05 PM

I was there last year at the first part of November and really liked it. The trees were turning but still had most of their leaves. We lucked out and had almost no rain. It rained one night...the streets were wet when we woke up, and on day it threatened and drizzled just a little bit. It was cool, which I like, but not fridged cold by any means, but I wore a coat each day.

I was there the first week in June several years ago, and it was quite hot and humid for a couple of days, and then cooled down a lot and rained every day. I liked November better than June.

I was also there in Sept. one year, and that was fabulous weather. Shirt sleeve warm during the day and needing a light sweater in the evening. We had perfect weather that time.

I know that each year can be different.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM

I've been to Paris in March, May and August for a week each time. I loved all trips but May was probably my favorite. In August they say more Paris natives are away on vacation so the city has a slightly different dynamic - maybe try September while the warm weather is still present with fewer tourists.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM

The November-March time period will provide you with the lowest airfares and at times, better hotel rates. There is less tourist pressure, too.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM

I have been in March and late June, and although I generally prefer to travel off season to avoid the crowds, I really loved Paris in June. I love flowers and gardens, so the sight of all the window boxes filled with red and pink geraniums really won me over.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM

I went in December for my first trip - theorizing that museums would be the same at anytime and cheap prices for airfare and lodging are advantages - I was pleasantly surprised by Christmas decorations - especially Galeries Lafayette.
My second trip was in March - again for the great deals possible. Again, I lucked out with fairly decent weather that permitted lots of walking.
When I go back again it will have to be in the May-June time frame because I really want to see the fabulous gardens in prime season.
For me there are two deciding factors for timing travel - fares and agenda. There is much to do in Paris that makes off-season travel fantastic. But some itineraries demand prime season travel.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM

I have to say my first choice is May but my trip in November was not too shabby either
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 04:46 PM

I've been in Sept, Oct, Nov, and Feb.

As someone else said above, the first week of November was my favorite. September was hot and crowded. That October was nice, but rainy. February...a completely different kind of wonderful (frozen fountains...literally!).

But November had just the perfect brisk nip in the air. The trees had turned golden and, seemingly overnight, they shed their leaves and all the little rues looked like they'd been paved with gold. I don't mind it getting dark early...Paris is so gorgeous at night, especially when a short shower has left the streets gleaming and reflecting the night-lit monuments.

I suppose I'll return in summer at some point. But it would be hard to top that November in Paris.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:21 AM

I've lived in Paris twice and go every year on vacation. I agree that anytime is wonderful b/c it is a great city. However, I note the following:

Aug - most people are away on vacation - the ratio of tourists to residents probably reverses during this month. Also if you are planning to visit other parts of France during your visit (where French and other European tourists go) these places will be overrun! I generally try to go for Labor Day as you still have nice weather and longish days, but Paris is more vibrant and places outside Paris more manageable.

Dec - I lived in Paris through Christmas one year and did not think it was as festive as other countries - namely US, UK and Germany. It's still festive but not anything like these other places.

That said, just go as soon as you can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -