when to travel in italy

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:32 PM
phill

when to travel in italy

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy and would like to know when would be the best time to go. We were thinking of going in August but heard most places close down then.If this is true would September,October be better.Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 07:06 PM
Rex

Do you mean what month in 2001? Your problem will likely be that so many of your choices are already unavailable to you. I have never been to Italy in August, preferring Alpine countries instead. But I think it is quite false to think that much is "closed down". In fact last year, one of the busiest times in Rome was said to be in mid-August when there was a large World Youth Day celebration (or something like that) centered around activities at the Vatican.

September and October seem to be increasingly popular in Italy, and in this year, in particular (a lot of tourist "demand" for Europe seems to have been put off to the fall due to Hoof & Mouth disease this past spring). These two terrific months used to be consider shoulder season, but nowadays they seem to be as much "peak" as summer months. The weather is usually fantastic, even if the days are somewhat shorter.

If you are asking about 2002 or beyond, I think that August is slightly inferior to September/October, but not all that much.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 07:24 PM
StCirq

If you have the liberty to travel at any time of year, I would choose September or May to travel to Italy - fewer tourists, better weather. August would be about last on my list of months, not because places close down ( haven't really experienced much of that in Italy) but because of the heat and the intensity of the crowds on vacation in the major sites. If you're travleing this year in August, I would guess you will find real problems finding hotels and such available as it's so late in the season already.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:41 PM
Brenda

Agreed with above (although IMHO ANY time is a great time to visit Italy).

And if I may get even more specific, here's my choices of the best times for a 2-week stay:
- (1) last week of Sept into 1st week of October --- start in northern regions of country, whether it be Venice or the Lakes region and then head south to Florence and/or Rome;
- (2) last two weeks of May --- start in southern half & head north.

Forget August --- crowds/heat/prices are all at their peak.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 09:07 PM
Surlok

I partially agree with the post above.: it's umbearably hot in August. I wouldn't say, though, that it's more expensive, since because of the heat, most hotels have promotional summer rates, sometimes 40% lower than high season rates ( April to early July, and Sepetember to late October, early November).

Many restaurants, and a few stores will be closed, since August is when everybody is on holidays. Expect to find a lot of tourists, and very few locals.