Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   When to tour (vineyards) in Moselle River Valley? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/when-to-tour-vineyards-in-moselle-river-valley-712959/)

Mochi Jun 13th, 2007 03:19 PM

When to tour (vineyards) in Moselle River Valley?

My husband and I love Riesling, and we are thinking about going to Mosel-Saar-Ruwer area and visit vineyards. Is late August good time to visit? I’m afraid that owners of the wine estates may be vacationing around that time…….

Thanks.

gargamel Jun 13th, 2007 09:27 PM

hi there,
August is:
- school holidays in Germany (and most parts of Europe)
- a lot of work to do in the wineyards

So the owners of the wine estates haves for sure no chance for vacation.

Prost
Gar

njlorelei Jun 14th, 2007 11:36 AM

I've never been there in late August but I would think that the vineyards would be in full seing getting ready for the harvest.

We've been to the Mosel region twice - late September when the vineyards were very busy harvesting grapes and early May when it seemed to not be as busy though they were bottling wine. Both trips we had a great time.

Mochi Jun 15th, 2007 05:49 AM

Thank you gargamel and njlorelei.

NJlorelei, have you posted your trip report? I would love to read that.

njlorelei Jun 18th, 2007 09:38 AM

No I've never posted a trip report. If I get some free time I'll try to type up a quick one based on my paper journals from the trips.

njlorelei Jun 22nd, 2007 08:22 PM

Okay I just posted a trip report from our most recent Mosel visit. It's titled: Trip Report - Cologne and Mosel Valley. You should be able to easily find it.

Now I need to dig up my old travel journal so I can post one about our first trip there where we explored more of the Mosel.

bilboburgler Jun 23rd, 2007 04:14 AM

Suggest visit web site of local town (we sent on Trier) and dicovered that some of the smaller producers gathered together to show visitors around over the weekend. We booked with Peter Terges who was on duty when we went and he showed us his hillside, the winery and gave us a simple wine tasting for free. We then explained we were a serious group, bought one of his best wines and opened it for all to taste at which point Peter really opened up and we seemed to stay the rest of the day.

All this takes place in a little valley with some nice little hotels around (16 hat GAult-Millau restaturant with rooms directly opposite).

SAme web site next year booked us a bike ride down the valley with overnight stops in vineyards.

Soin answer to your question will wine estate be on hoiday in August (not likely), will they want to show you around (probably) if you want a real tour you really need to book

annhig Jun 23rd, 2007 04:34 AM

hi, mochi

could be hot that time of year, I think.

I have friends living nearby in the pflaz, and they have a continental climate - hot summers, cold winters.

May/june or mid-sept onwards would be much beter, IMO.

regards, ann

harzer Jun 23rd, 2007 10:45 PM

When doing this region do not miss the lesser-known Ahr and Nahe valleys and the wines they produce.
Harzer