Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   When to reserve TGV? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/when-to-reserve-tgv-71230/)

Robin May 6th, 2000 03:50 PM

When to reserve TGV?

I know that it's necessary to reserve seats on the TGV, but is it risky to wait to do so after I arrive? For that matter, is it possible to reserve from the US? Our schedule is a little tight, so I don't want to make the worong decision. Thanks for your help.

Robin May 6th, 2000 04:09 PM

I should have searched more carefully before posting my question! This topic has been well-explored! But if anyone has any other hot tips...

Bob Brown May 6th, 2000 08:06 PM

I tried to reserve in advance last September by using the SNCF web site. The system acknowledged my inquiry, sent me a confirmation number, and in general told me all the things I expected it to. So before leaving, I printed out my confirmation code -- a series of letters -- and showed up at Gare Montparnasse two days later to claim my ticket. Well, the sales agent did not know about the matter even though I had my confirmation code letters in hand. <BR>Not to worry, we got the tickets and the reservation taken care of with no problem. We reserved 4 days in advance and that seemed to be plenty of time. <BR>We bought first class tickets and my wife recalls that the car that we were in was not totally full. <BR>If you are arriving 6 hours before you reserve, I guess there is a chance that you might not get exactly what you want. When we went to Vernon (Giverny) on the regular train, it was almost full, but we found seats. <BR>I have heard that if you are leaving Paris about 5 - 7 PM on a Friday that things can get a little tight. I have not verified this information, however. <BR>

Wendy May 6th, 2000 08:14 PM

Robin, <BR> <BR>I just reserved seats for my husband and myself on the TGV for this July. You can reserve online at www.raileurope.com/us up to 60 days in advance of your departure. They confirmed our reservations by e-mail the next morning and the tickets were delivered the day after that. I am very pleased with their service, and their prices are reasonable.

jeanne May 6th, 2000 09:25 PM

Do be aware that raileurope.com charges a premium about 25% more than SNCF.com. However, sncf only holds reservations about 2 weeks then they are "let go", so you need to reserve not more than that. Raileurope will send your the tickets airborne and the site is in English and you will have the tickets in hand before you leave the US-so for many people, the extra money is worth it.

graziella May 7th, 2000 07:28 PM

Hi Robin, I reserved by phone to a special number in France available both in English and in French for people living overseas two tickets in the TGV from Lyon to Torino, including of course the seats reservation. <BR>Not only I wasn t charged any commission <BR>because this is done directly with the French railways, but they gave us 50% discount for traveling on a Sunday plus an extra senior 's discount. I gave them my visa on the phone. <BR>They gave a code number. <BR>I arrived 30 ' before the departure time and everything was perfect, they gave me the tickets, the seat reservation everything. If you need the number please send me an e mail I look for it.

elvira May 8th, 2000 08:41 AM

I'm all for getting as much done ahead as possible; we get our passes, point-to-point tickets and reservations through Raileurope, even if we have to pay extra. We, being 6 or more women, feel more comfortable prepared way ahead (we all have seats together, we're all in one couchette, etc.). If I were travelling alone or with just one other person, I'd make my reservations when I got to France (provided I had at least 2 days - with no holidays - before I took the TGV). You can make reservations in any train station. <BR> <BR>

Robin May 14th, 2000 09:28 AM

Hi-- Thanks to all. I am torn, because the quote I am getting from RailEurope is a 100% (!) premium over what the SNCF web site shows, but I'm nervous about waiting until I arrive. I've had no problem reserving through the SNCF site, but apparently cannot pre-pay. Graziella, if you see this, perhaps I could use that number!