Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   When to go to Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/when-to-go-to-italy-788486/)

mimiG Jun 6th, 2009 05:55 AM

When to go to Italy?

My husband and I are trying to finally start planning our 10-14 day trip to Italy (late, I know but had to wait on a few summer wedding dates). We are hoping to go to Rome, the Amalfi Coast (Naples) and Capri. We can go anytime July 5-August 14th. Or August 16- Sept. 1st. I have heard that August is an awful time to go since a lot will be closed. I have also heard that Italy is hot and crowded in July. Any opinions on when is better, July or August? Thanks!

Dobermina Jun 6th, 2009 06:36 AM

Tough decision! September is the best month weather-wise of course since it cools down a bit at night and is not as horridly hot during the day, but it is also when tourist season picks up again like mad. Ticket prices definitely drop after September 1st though, and even more after the 20th for some reason. If you really want to hit the beaches though, July and August are great, and since both cost about equal in regards to rooms/flights/everything either month would work. In July Rome is a bit more crowded, in August, the beaches are a bit more crowded. Personally I prefer the Adriatic beaches, which are much cleaner and less touristy, and August is a great time to go for all the summer festivals and such :) Rome itself is definitely cheaper during the height of summer, and you can save a bundle on hotels and apartments alike! Whenever you come, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and I hope all that babble was somewhat helpful!

sandi_travelnut Jun 6th, 2009 07:34 AM

I would not go July or August. My personal preference is late Sept or early October. Usually beautiful weather. If you as far south as Rome, you can even go in the winter and have potentially mild weather. My husband and I spent a week in Rome in January 07 and the day temps were in the mid-60's.

panecott Jun 6th, 2009 08:05 AM

If you must go in either July or August, July would be better.

Depending on where you go, August will be either nearly dead (large cities) or extremely crowded (resort/beach areas). August 15th, "ferragosto" is the official start of the Italian vacation season when the masses go on vacation.

Marighita Jun 6th, 2009 08:31 AM

I do not go in vacation in July - August in Europe because I don't like to walk in a very hot day. I like May, firts half of June and September.

However, if you have to decide between July and August, go in July . Try to finish it till end of July, as at 1st of August the Italian start their vacation and may places are closed.

belwebonly Jun 6th, 2009 10:05 AM

They are all right! Italy in late September or October, also in April or May is much better. Last year in mid September near Assisi at 6pm was 40 C or 104 F degrees. It seems ashame to waste the beauty if you are uncomfortable in the heat. Also, Italians do not use the air conditioners as we do. Sometimes windows do not open. Can be an oven.

jetsetj Jun 6th, 2009 10:12 AM

My 4 trips to Italy has been late Sept to early Oct.
I would not go any other time.
The weather is good, prices are down, crowds are less,
and it is harvest time. PERFECTO.

Zerlina Jun 6th, 2009 10:27 AM

The people telling you not to go in July or August are not being very helpful.

Of the alternatives you have, the August 16 one is the best. After Ferragosto on August 15, people start returning to the cities, and not as much (restaurants, shops) is closed as in the first half of August. It can also start cooling off a little. Many hotels in the cities offer discounts in August.

mimiG Jun 7th, 2009 02:45 PM

Thank you for your responses. I know that April, May,Sept. or Oct are best, but as of right now, our schedules wont allow for a trip then. So, I guess late August is my best bet. I'm sure i'll be back with more questions! Thanks!

bluejewel Jun 28th, 2009 10:12 AM

My husband and I are going in August. His family is in Amsterdam so we are going to be with them Aug 7-14th then driving to Italy Aug 14-26th or so then back to Amsterdam...any tips on car travel...I understand it will be expensive but if anyone has any tips ot reduce cost I am all ears...we plan to park the car and walk alot once we get to the towns we want to see....the usuals for our first trip...Rome,Florence, Venice maybe Pisa...any suggestions from you experienced ones?

kfusto Jun 29th, 2009 08:23 AM

bluejewel, perhaps a new post with your specific questions will elicit more response.

helen_belsize Jun 29th, 2009 09:52 AM

Do you have to drive from the Netherlands? I think it would be better to fly to Italy and get a car there as you need it. If you are only going to the main towns you might be better to use a train between them. It is likely to be very hot in August and being stuck in traffic at the main holiday season for Italians is not fun. It is also when there is a very high incidence of road accidents as the families hit the roads to meet up for Ferragosto. Perhaps re post for more specific advice.