When to Go and To Tour Group or not

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to Go and To Tour Group or not

Greeting all,
Let me say I am new to the web-site and have enjoyed reading all of the posts from the past few weeks, or most of them anyway.There is so much information for all locations and coming from seasoned travelers, well you can't put a price on the information that all of you have provided in the past. Now, to my one of many questions.
My wife and I are planning to go to Italy(isn't everyone nowadays)either this Fall, late October or early November or next March/April, all before the fares get into the high season. We have been to the UK, France, Ireland, both the Republic and NI, Belgium, Germany, Austria,so travel comes fairly easy for us. We are retired, me 60, wife 57.We were thinking of taking a guided tour for our first time, although driving and or train transportation is an option if we didn't take a guided 21 tour. What are your feelings both pro and con on 21 day tours and would we be better off planning everything as we have done before in Europe.
We would like to see Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany etc. Looking forward to some kind responses.
Richard
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM

Since you are not a novice European traveler, I would say do the trip on your own using train/bus travel. You will find it quite easy to navigate to those places in Italy that you mentioned by public transport (even if your Italian is limited or non-existent) and if you prepare yourselves to some extent ( guidebooks, web, etc), you will have more flexibility without giving up much in the way of the security a tour would offer. You might even save some money going it alone; at the least you will get more value for your money, in my opinion.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:41 PM
PJK

I would agree with ekscrunchy regarding going on your own. However, I am not a person who rails against tours. There is something to be said for having someone taking care of luggage, etc. However, we much prefer being on our own. You are wise to go before the crowds arrive. We have gone to Italy in April, in May, and in November and each time had little problems with crowds. However, on Sunday of our last trip, there were so many people packed into the Pantheon and the piazza there that we simply left. (We had seen it before and went back at dusk.) Going in the shoulder or low season is great not only for the cheaper fares but to minimize standing in line and being packed into every attraction. We reserved ff seats early last October for an April trip this year. We loved spending the winter doing research. PJK
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ekscrunchy and PJK. I will have more questions as to where to stay and what to see as a must and what to put low on the to see list.I will also search the Italy posts for information. Richard
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:21 PM

Hi Limey,

Italy is very doable for a first timer, so seasoned travelers such as you and your wife would have no trouble navigating your way through this beautiful country.

I think after traveling to so many wonderful destinations, you may find a group tour too restricted.

When I traveled to Italy independently, I did take guided day trip that was arranged through the concierge at my hotel. I enjoyed it but I would not want the entire trip to be so scheduled, so many of my fondest moments were the unplanned.

Our next trip is also in the off season, and the more I read here the happier I am with our decision to go during that time.

This was one of my favorite posts while planning, perhaps you and Mrs. Limey will enjoy it: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34604835

In addition to this site, I also found www.tripadvisors.com VERY useful when researching hotels.

I hope you and your wife have a lovely Italian adventure, I know you will!

Best wishes, Tiff
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Limey I'm older than you and I would not do a tour as long as the old guy can drive(he's younger, a joke) We like to stay when we find a village or city that appeals to us, stay up late on occassion and not worry about connections. But please do what is comfortable for you. Everyones trip will be different whether by tour or by
themselves. That's the magic of travel.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:16 PM

I think if you are both in good health and it seems that you are used to traveling, that there is no reason for you to take a tour. It would be nice to have the time to relax and enjoy an area rather than just go go go, unless that's your travel style of course. You won't find too many "tour people" on this board so if you want the hear the other side of the coin, there is a "Tour" or "Group Travel" Board that you might check in with to get the other side of the coin. I envy your 21 days..how lucky is that?!!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Tiff,
Thanks for the reply.I think we will try and do local tours with local guides. I have always enjoyed freelancing. Thanks for the heads up on the site you posted. Will let you know what we are doing. I think November or March is the way to go. Avoid the crowds. Thanks again. Richard
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Cigalechanta,
Thanks for the support. At first I thought a tour might be the way, although we have never been on one before.But I know realize the unknown hass always appealed to me. Thanks again. Richard
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Crefloors,
Thanks for the info concerning the people who use this site. We stay in good health, hiked a few Irish peaks this past spring.I wasan't sure if a tour would really be my cup of tea. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see the same people every day. We have always struck out on our own with positive things along the way. The best and most memorable trips have been those things you never expected to happen or the wonderful people you meet, especially during the off season. Thanks again, Richard
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:20 PM

We saw lots of bored-looking people on tours in Italy. Some of them even had guides with heavy accents difficult to understand. This was our first family trip to Italy, and it was so great for us! We went with the whole family, including teens. I got a lot of my info from a 72-year-old man on-line who then e-mailed me and he had been to Italy with his wife 6 times, travelling independently. All his info was right-on!

Rme, Florence, and Venice are very enjoyable to travel between on the fast Eurostar train, which comes with seat reservations.

I had considered a tour at first too, but rejected the idea mostly because of the teens. but now that I have experienced independent travel, I don't think I'd ever take a fully escoted tour again. We did hire a few private licensed tour guides for a few hours here and there and it was great.

Buon viaggio!

Use info here and also from www.slowtrav.com Both are great. Get the fodors guidebook and also the Rick Steve's guidebook. Use them together.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:43 AM
ira

Hi L,

Tuscany in late fall is going to be more brown than green. However, the truffles come out around then, the Porcini mushrooms are fresh and the olive oil and wine are new.

You might find this thread helpful:
Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34568596

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:13 AM
amelia

Hi Limey: Unlike most people who come on this board, we actually do tour groups (biking/hiking, though) for 1/3 of our European travel, and we enjoy many aspects of it. But 21 days with the same people, though? Mon Dieu!

Your instincts were so right.

I am so envious you can do Italy for 21 days in the off season! Happy trip planning.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Melissa5,ira,amelia

Thanks for your reply and input. We will start to plan this thing soon. I just knew this site would be the answer to travel questions. I have found so much info on Italy from previous travelers to Italy. I found myself going over others trip reports and comments. Boy, this site can be addictive. Thanks again, Richard