Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When to buy ticket LAX-Rome for March '08?

Apr 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

We (my husband and I, and another couple) are already planning a trip to Rome for the week before Easter 2008.
Yes, I know this is Holy Week and a busy time, but my husband is a teacher and that's when he's off in the Spring. Easter Sunday is March 23rd in 2008.

So, I want to start looking for the best price on tickets since we already know our travel dates.

If I plug my dates into Orbitz or Expedia I'm told I can't get tickets yet because they have to be less than 330 days out.
Tickets for a few weeks earlier yielded results of around $900 r/t (inc tax).

If I plug my dates into Kayak.com, I do get some results, with tickets starting at $1100 r/t.

Both fares seem on the high side for that time of year- especially the first one with dates in February which is certainly not "high season".

Anyone know if there are particular times of year the airlines run fare sales? For example, would it be best to wait for Fall for Winter fare sales?

Is there any clearinghouse website to keep track of fare sales?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Apr 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
rex

Worth your while... to ask, not only here, but also at...

http://www.eurotrip.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=7

(same answer as given on a different question just minutes ago... regarding flights from NYC to AMS - - I am not "promoting" eurotrip.com)

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex, I'll look there too.

Anyone else?
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:32 PM

Decide who you're going to fly with.

Sign up for frequent flyer miles, you're a teacher, and they will add up if you also get a miles credit card.

I would also sign up for some airline emails.

You are going during what they call their 'winter sale' period. Major U.S. airlines start sending out their sales periods prior to your trip. You should see prices in the $400-$600 range roundtrip.

Hang on a bit.

Caveat, Rome is going to be your most difficult city to fly into during Easter. You might also check out Pisa or Bologna.
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Kristina, I think your approach is the right one. You don't have the luxury of waiting until the last minute due to your need for specific travel dates. By plugging in your dates on kayak you can check often to see what fares come up. There are a number of fare finder websites, it's a matter of how much effort do you want to put into your search.

I found prices to be so much higher this year for my September travel dates. I just used kayak this week to find a fare I was willing to accept.

We are going to go to Italy next May and I will probably start checking about 9 months out from our travel dates. Good luck to you, Deborah.
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Rastaguy-
Thanks for the advice. I already have all my miles on American and an Aadvantage miles credit card.
Hopefully, by next year I'll have enough miles for 2 Business Class tix to Vietnam, but that's another trip...
Good idea about the airline emails, will do.

Deborah-thanks. It's such a tough call...how long does one wait? I think I'll give it a couple of months after they become available and track the costs. I DO think they should drop a bit (maybe wishful thinking?)
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Do they offer vouchers (for a fee) if it goes down? That might help defray some of the costs if you book now but it goes down later.
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Re Rastaguy's reply: You are never going to see a fare from LAX to anywhere in Europe for less than $600, and probably not less than $750 or so to Rome, and that's in the middle of February. My experience with advertised sale prices is that the low fares are at inconvenient times, and may only work if you're willing to be flexible - travelling on Tuesday or Wednesday - which does not work out if you're trying to get the maximum time away (i.e., leave on Friday, come home on Sunday). Fares to Rome near Holy Week will sell out, so the airlines don't have to discount them, and so they won't.
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

lovisa- I would tend to agree. My husband just got back from Switzerland during Holy week this year and his ticket was $800 LAX-Geneva. However, we didn't buy the ticket until January, and earlier (in Nov & Dec) it was lower-around $680.

Because it's Rome and Holy Week, I don't want to wait that late. Just wondering if there will be a difference between buying in May, August or October....
As I said in my first post, guessing that tickets could start out at $900 and up when they first become available and I'm wondering if they'll go down.
Apr 16th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

ttt.