Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

when to buy air tickets for November travel?

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:56 PM
when to buy air tix?

We plan to travel the second half of November, when is the best time to buy air tix? I see some cheap fares now but keep hearing that after labor day is better? any experience? I know this year has been bad for airlines (poor economy) so don't know how cheap it'll get but we are flying from San Francisco and I found a fare to London for $500--which sounds great but will it go down more? (still haven't decided where to go but London was a consideration)

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 04:29 PM
xxx

Hello.
I'd wait. The fares are getting cheap now for that time of year, and they'll only get better. We flew on Icelandair last November on a promotion for $275 total to London WITH tax. I would recommend signing up at Smarterliving.com so they can send you weekly specials from your city. They also send out deal alerts as well.

Hope it helps!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree with the previous poster. The market for air travel is noticably softer and the first wave of deals for fall travel came out earlier this year. Domestically, I'm picking up first class upgrades left and right this summer -- an indication that the business people simply are not there in the numbers they have been in prior years. While you may find something worth grabbing at any moment in this environment, my bet would be that September will give you a shot at a better fare than you've seen so far. The chances of significant increases for the period don't appear to be very great. Having said all of that, there is always an element of risk in these things. Also don't forget the significant frequent flyer miles involved. If you have to take a carrier that you seldom or never use to get a marginally lower fare, you are giving up significant value and that should be included in your cost calculations.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:13 PM
janis

I'd wait too. $500 is not that great a deal. We're flying non-stop SFO to London in September for a little over $500 having bought back in April. You should be able to better in Nov. (except for Thanksgiving weekend.)

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Jeff

________
Got my 'Smarter Living' e-mail update today with following:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I. TRAVEL DEALS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. LOW-SEASON TRAVEL TO EUROPE FROM $331 R/T

US Airways, Delta, and American have announced sales on late fall
and winter travel to destinations in Europe. Travel on US Airways
and Delta is available for departure between November 1 and March
14, 2002. Travel on American is valid between September 7 and
December 13. The lowest fares are only available for purchase
online. Purchase tickets by Monday, August 27. Other airlines
have matched these sales.

For more details, please visit
http://rd.SmarterLiving.com/da081601.1
----------------------------

I haven't logged in to see exactly what prices are being offered.