Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When to book airfare for Rome in June 2002? and with who?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 12:21 AM
Karen

I am having the most trouble trying to decide about my flight. I am leaving June 3 and returning June 18 2002. All major Airlines are still quoting rack rates of $1152.00 a person. I got a consolidator to quote me $665 plus 90.00 tax on US air but she says they won't release tickets till next week. I also heard they make you pay by check (US Air). I don't trust that. I want to put on credit card. Does anyone have any help for me? Should I wait it out and sweat? Who are good consolidators? Travelocity and such sights are bogus to me. They all quote the same rack rates as the airlines? I will be in your debt forever if you can give me some good advice here. I am coming from New Orleans. Don't care where I fly out of the US. Thank you guys. Karen

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 02:19 AM
Maira

It may be too early for good June 2002 rates. I have used Travelocity, flights.com, cheaptickets, and priceline.com with no complaints whatsoever. I don't know your departure city, but $655 for June may not be too bad, you will be traveling on High Season after all and you are locked on dates (June 3-18) already . However, the cash thing is bogus; stay away from consolidators who won't honor credit cards. Log into QIXO.com, and enroll on the QIXO alert. This site checks about 20 consolidators at a time, and when the price drops for one of them to the price you specified on your alert, they will e-mail you and alert you which consolidator(s) has the price you are looking for. Expedia and travelocity have similar price alerts. You need only specify the route you are traveling. Best of luck. Have a great time planning!!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:28 AM
Howard

I went through a similar situation when I wanted to book tickets to Paris for May a couple months ago. I was told by an Air France agent to wait until December or January when the prices would be lower. I would assume the same advice might apply to travel to Italy as well. <BR>That $1,152 price seems high. Where are you flying from? I was quoted prices for a NY and Paris round trip in the $650-$750 range.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:37 AM
missmolly

If you are coming out of New Orleans,then you could probably take Delta to Atlanta to go to Europe. They had nonstop Rome and Milan flights from Atlanta to Italy before the 11th. I think that they are about to do some type of codeshare with Alitalia soon so you could go to smaller towns within Italy. Wait until Christmas as the airlines are still shuffling around their schedules.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 10:39 AM
Christina

I would wait a while to look for better fares because I don't see why you'd have to book this early as I usually book in Jan-Feb for July to Europe with no problem. USAir is not requiring a check for payment, that consolidator is and I would not do that, either, unless they are giving you a paper ticket at the same time you give them the check so you cannot be out anything (assuming the ticket is legit). Travelocity isn't "bogus", I use it all the time, it is a fairly comprehensive travel "agency" booking site for airline tickets, that's all--sometimes there are lower-than-normal fares (I've heard they negotiate some deals with airlines although I've not seen them), but not usually. It's not a consolidator and not meant to be, that doesn't make it bogus, nor are other booking sites bogus just because they aren't consolidators. There have been some good articles on consolidators in the Washington Post travel section and in Frommer's newsletter (check their online web site, they probably have info around to review). Approx $765 for peak season RT NO/Rome sounds pretty good to me, I might take it if they will give you the ticket when you give them the check and you like the flights; I would not give them a check without getting anything.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:08 PM
Karen

JUst wanted to bring this back up in case more people have some suggestions. Thanks to those who answered. Karen

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:30 PM
Karen

Maira, I am very interested in the consolidator web site you mentioned but it says it doesn't exist. Can you help? Thanks Karen

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 03:05 AM
pat

We normally book towards the end of February for flights in late May ,early June. We usually fly BA so I just call them everyday starting mid February and all of sudden you get a great quote. We flew to Rome for $448+tax this past June.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:46 PM
Kaaren

Pat, What is BA? Thanks Karen

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:54 PM
justhelpingouthere

British Air

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 03:12 AM
Maira

Karen-- I replied directly to your e-mail a couple of days ago. Did you get the e-mail? Again, the site is http://www.qixo.com <BR> <BR>I browsed this site all the time, so it does exist. Please let me know whether you were able to get in.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 05:46 PM
az

Karen--We did an extensive web search using primarily qixo.com last spring seeking best fares from N.O. or Atlanta or Dallas/Ft. Worth and, much to our surprise, found the best fares (by several hundred $) out of Jackson, MS! Delta/Air France had a cooperative deal of some sort. We flew Delta to ATL and then AF to Rome; we returned on AF via Paris and ATL. The airport code for JAckson is JAN. <BR>If you do a qixo search, be sure to try repeated departure/return dates frequently. They may show flights "not available" on your desired dates, but don't let that stop you. In fact we found our lowest fares on dates that were shown as not available; we simply typed in our desired departure date anyway, and got the tix on that date. <BR>We tried about a half dozen different search engines, and qixo was best, in our opinion. In fact, it searches many of the other engines for you; saves lots of time. <BR>My guess is that with a little effort, you can secure tix for under $500 if you depart BEFORE June 1. After June 1, be prepared to pay somewhat more. <BR>Good luck!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 01:16 AM
xxxx

Karen? Hello? Anybody there?

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Maurice

We flew Alitalia. Not the greatest airline, but who is nowadays?<BR>Look into Italiatours - the price in their brochure was about the same as for a flight to Rome ($895 I think?) - but based on double occupancy, it included 5 nights in a 3-star in Rome.<BR>Also, they allow open-jaw flights. We flew into Rome and out of Milan for about the same price; and their Auto rental rates weren't bad. We book about half the hotels on our trip with them, and the rest we did ourselves.<BR>Worth a look.<BR>My general impression is that there's not that many discounters flying to southern Europe; and I didn't want to be racing for connections after a 9-hour flight, and everything flies late the last few years... direct was best.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 03:16 AM
Karen

Maira Yes I Was able to get on the site.Thanks for your help.