Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When’s the best time to go if you had the choice from Mid October to mid November?

Search

When’s the best time to go if you had the choice from Mid October to mid November?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Monica

I’ll be flying standby traveling alone, so I’d like to know what timeframe would be better. I know that the high tourist season is from about June through September, but that usually stretches a little in both directions. Will the weather be about the same? What can I expect? Will I find better hotel prices in November? Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Monica

TO PARIS!!!

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 06:28 AM
pete

Have never been to France but 2 years in uk. If i were you i will choose mid oct, because day time is going to shorter, and it will be dark earlier in November, and i think it should be wetter as well. Indeed, you will find the better deal in Nov, but tourist attractions may be closed at the earlier time. <BR>Enjoy your time in the most romantic city of this world.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Ed

Early to mid-October is a favorite time to visit Europe because of the weather. You'll find October a bit better than November. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Monica

Thanks! I'll shoot for mid October. Hopefully my work at my job will have died down some that I can fly out around the 10th.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Byrd

We were in Paris in October 96 and October 98, and the weather was wonderful both times (one rainy day in 98, but even that was fun). The leaves on the trees along the Seine were yellow and falling, blowing about....Oh yes, October! <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 12:37 PM
igor

We were in Paris in November of last <BR>year and the weather was wonderful. <BR>It was sunny most of the time and <BR>people were still taking cruises on Seine.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 01:13 PM
Monica

Hi Byrd and Igor, <BR> <BR>I'm shooting to fly out the 9th and return the 16th! Hopefully I'll have nice weather then. <BR> <BR>A friend might join me if she can scrape up the extra money! But I'll still go if my friend can't make it. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 01:16 PM
igor

we took a Eurostar from London to Paris <BR>on Nov.5 and stayed in Paris for 4 days. <BR>Those were the best 4 days of my life, and I am sure that you will enjoy that <BR>city too.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Monica

Igor, Paris is one of my favorite cities! I've been there twice, 1997 and 1999, both times with my Mom. We had great times there. It's such a beautiful city. I picked Paris for my solo trip (unless my friend can join me) because I felt very comfortable there. I'll have the opportunity to visit the places I missed and go back to those places that I really enjoyed.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 11:07 AM
Christina

October is definitely preferable for weather et al, but it is a busy time in Paris due to conventions, etc, and I would be surprised if you got a standby flight to Paris in early October, in particular because that is the period of the Worldwide Paris Auto Show which only occurs every other year (I think) and is going on this year between 9/30 and 10/15. If money is very important, many hotels do lower their rates and have a low season from Nov until a little before Christmas; some lower rates Nov 1, some around mid-Nov and some only for the first three wks in Dec. Rates may be about 100F a night lower, but it really depends on a specific hotel's policy, I don't think that's standard across all hotels by any means. If I were you, I'd really ask the airline you are intending to fly on about the standby thing to see how feasible they think that is in early October.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 12:13 PM
Monica

Thanks Christina for your advice. I might go sometime after the 20th of October based on my readings last night (travel guide book) about the auto show, which you also mentioned. Unfortunately airline agents do not provide me with that kind of information, which is why I hate to fly stand-by. I may be told, “you’ll probably get on board,” but that’s no guarantee! So, I’ll have to play it by ear.