Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When's the best time to buy tickets to get the best price?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaving at the end of Sept. to visit my daughter in the Netherlands. This is a trip I would not be making except my daughter is expecting my first grandchild and I want to go meet him.

I'm on a very tight budget and have been waiting for airfares to drop a bit more. They've gone down $100-$150.00 since I first started looking a couple of months ago, but I'm hoping they'll drop a bit more.

Am I crazy for thinking that fares might drop some more? How far out do you normally buy your airfare? I've got about 5.5 weeks till I fly. Should I be getting nervous? Will fares rise the closer I get to take off?

I was looking to fly into Brussels (my daughter's in the SE corner of the Netherlands), but I'm also checking out fares to Amsterdam,& Cologne.

Northwest sent me an offer to use 20K of my miles and I'd save about $200.00, but reading the fine print it looks like there are other fees that could/would be added that would make the fare almost the same as if I don't use the miles, so why waste them?
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:16 AM
rex

If they're down by $100-$150, and you hve less than six weeks, then you should buy now - - if the routing and timetable are truly to your liking.

Bargains in September, even at the very end of September have been a rarity for at least five years now. They used to happen, but the trend lately is that even October bargains are hard to find.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:18 AM

I think you're taking a chance waiting so long but gambles sometimes pay off. There's some flight anxiety out there right now with recent events at Heathrow you might see the prices go down even more. It's really hit and miss just follow the prices online on an hourly basis and you'll see how they change all the time. Good Luck!!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Check the prices to Düsseldorf as well. it is a bigger airport than Cologne, with more international flights. Also check Frankfurt, but only if the flight is significantly cheaper than to elsewhere. The train trip from Frankfurt to the Germany/Belgium/Dutch border is less than 2 hours, but it is quite far (just a very fast train) and therefore more expensive.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Where are you flying from? Icedlandair SOMETIMES has pretty good last minute ares. Check out their lucky fares. If it will make you feel better, I've often bought tickets 3-4 weeks out and gotten good prices even for peak season travel. Are your dates at all flexible? If so, you should be using a flexible fare finder search such as is offered at itasoftware.cim of farecompare.com. This oculd save you lots of money. I always find my best fares using a flexible date search. Check out this article.

http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/Users...8/Default.aspx
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Hi rapunzll, I have Northwest FF miles also. Here is my thoughts regarding booking with Northwest. They are having labor problems and the FA have threatened to strike starting 9:00am August 25th. The court ruled they had the right to strike. So unless NW can get an appeal in their favor there could be a disruption with NW flights. Some experts think that a settlement will be made as a strike could put NW out of business. Who knows what will happen, the experts certainly don't.

So since you are flying to see your daughter and newely born grandchild (how exciting!) personally I would book with an airline that does not have a strike possibility hanging over their head.
Have a beautiful trip!

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
ira

Hi rap,

I agree with Rex.

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM

You might consider flying into London (usually fares to there are fairly low), then taking a train to the Netherlands (an advantage of the train is that it will reach any city you need, whether or not they have an airport).

See
http://www.seat61.com/
for information on train travel from London to wherever.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I guess I better start getting more serious about this and not wait too much longer.

I do appreciate all your advice!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Where are you flying from, what prices are you seeing now and do you have enough miles (50K) to get an award outright?
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

I'm flying out of Traverse City, MI (which doesn't appear to add any to the fare) And I have seen anywhere from $660.00 on up today.

Nope, not enough miles to get my ticket paid for.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM

$660 to Europe in September from a smaller town? <b>Buy it now!</b> Don't even think twice.

And don't spend 20K of your miles. They are worth more than $200 these days.

Only worry is the labor situation at NW. If you can fly another airline, do that instead.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM

look at northwest's cash and miles deal...that may be what you had for the $200...it is a very good deal....all plane fares have more fees added on....immigration/customs fees...taxes...landing fees...fuel surcharges...you can't escape them....late sept is a busy time and seats may be mostly taken by now

one thing with n/w at the moment...there is a chance they will strike soon...beware...

i often buy europe fares about the 3rd week of august...often there is a mini sale....but don't wait after aug 31....you are cutting it too close...

you might try flying to london and then easy jet or ryan air to your low country destination...might save money and might not...

prices drastically drop on nov 1 until mid or late march....so plan to go again...the fare might only be $300 then...plus tax and fees...
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Flying out of my town doesn't usually make a difference price wise when I'm going a long distance. I went to LA for $210.00 return last Sept.!

I thought I had 20K in my mileage acct, but I realized I'm just short. This will work out, I know it will.