Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   When not to recycle a Ziploc bag... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/when-not-to-recycle-a-ziploc-bag-324572/)

crazymina Jun 5th, 2003 06:35 PM

When not to recycle a Ziploc bag...

With some of the former posts on the wonders of packing with the Ziploc, I thought I would share with you a short story of what happened to me today.

After dinner, I was cleaning up and putting things back in the fridge when I noticed something that nearly had me in tears.

First, let me tell you that my mother is not the type to waste ANYTHING. I thought she had learned her lesson years ago when she tried to salvage a rotten, fuzzy strawberry by eating it and nearly gagged to death. My brother and I don't call ourselves "Po' Yellow Trash" for nothing.

So my mother recycles plastic forks, chopsticks, and ziploc bags. Hence I was now staring at a ziploc bag filled with walnuts.

It was boldly titled in all caps with a permanent marker: DIRTY LAUNDRY.

Yes, that's right folks! I thought I had thrown the ziplock bag I had carried with me all through Europe for FOUR MONTHS filled with my dirty, skanky socks and nasty underwear, far far away. It's amazing it didn't fall apart after four months! But my mom caught it and recycled it (she either can't read my writing, or didn't notice it because English is not her first language). And now it was filled with nuts.

Between fits of uncontrollable giggles, I told my mom about the bag's former life. She looked genuinely dismayed, and fidgeted thoughtfully with the bag. Then she threw all of it out.

I guess even my own mother doesn't want anything to do with a bag formerly filled with the worst of me! Love is not that unconditional, after all.

Scarlett Jun 5th, 2003 06:54 PM

Oh , I don't know, Mina, Mom's fidgeting with the bag might have been wondering if she should just keep the bag and throw away the walnuts:O)
Now I will always think of your Mom when I re-use a Ziplock bag ~
Scarlett

Scarlett Jun 5th, 2003 07:00 PM

I absolutely did NOT mean to type in a Clown!!!! that should have been a great big smile :D

Scooter Jun 5th, 2003 07:02 PM

Great story! I will always think of 'crazymina's mom' when I reuse a Ziploc, and when I put nuts in some baked goodies.

WanderingTexan Jun 5th, 2003 07:04 PM

Funny! Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of my Mother-in-law. She never throws anything away.

Digital_Traveler Jun 5th, 2003 09:11 PM

This is a great reminder for everyone!

Always know the "bag" you are putting your "nuts" in!
@-)

Statia Jun 6th, 2003 02:46 AM

Mina,

That is classic! My husband and I were in stitches. Thanks for the laugh!

crazymina Jun 6th, 2003 07:54 AM

Digital Traveler, that's terrible. ;-)

I swear, other than the "don't throw anything away" part of my mom, she's really normal. :) I bet everyone knows someone like that though.

Carolred Jun 6th, 2003 08:27 AM

My mother-in-law recycles everything. We often get "goody bags" of her cooking, and often we get Ukrainian sausage or perogies, covered in bread or cake crumbs, from the bag's previous life.

bookchick Jun 6th, 2003 08:31 AM

Mina, I was not sure whether to laugh or vomit. I laughed, figuring the chemo will probably make me vomit anyway later! "Po yellow trash"!! Girl, you are a SCREAM!

Thanks,
BC

KT Jun 6th, 2003 12:04 PM

This kind of reminds me of the time I had my baggage hand-inspected by security at Rome airport. Sitting on top were several opaque plastic bags. The inspector opened the first one: packs of dried porcini and pasta. Then he opened the second one: risotto mixes and soup mixes. Then he opened the third one: dirty socks and underwear. Yum, yum.

daph Jun 6th, 2003 12:55 PM

How do you think we Fodorites pay for our trips?
Bookchick-hang in there: thinking of you'

crazymina Jun 8th, 2003 08:41 PM

Bookchick...I am very pleased I made you laugh, and not vomit. ;)

Carolred and KT, your stories both made me laugh! Especially Carolred's, since I could actually visualize sausages with bits of crumb stuck to it.

And Daph, you are right...gotta penny pinch where you can, so we can keep saving to keep traveling!