Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   When is the best time to travel in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/when-is-the-best-time-to-travel-in-europe-925147/)

ThailandToDo Feb 24th, 2012 04:13 AM

When is the best time to travel in Europe?

I prefer to travel when it's not too cold or too hot. Would the weather around Sep - Oct nice?
If I could spend 12 days to visit 4 countries, where are your recommendation?

Thank you :)

bobthenavigator Feb 24th, 2012 05:05 AM

May---longer days and flowers.

bilboburgler Feb 24th, 2012 05:13 AM

Both periods can be good May to early June or September. October tends to be a little too chilly and so I avoid it.

12 days and 4 countries is a tough one but I would aim to cover as little ground as possible and so save on travel time. So Northern France (Paris/Champagne/Alsace), Belgium (Ardennes/Flanders), Holland (Amsterdam) and Southern UK (London/Stonehenge/Oxford)

All a bit rushed but if you drop about half my suggestions it should work out fine

Alt. would be Northern France (Paris/Champagne/Alsace), Germany (Mosel/Trier), Belgium (Ardennes/Flanders), Holland (Amsterdam) which saves you having to cross the Channel

P_M Feb 24th, 2012 05:29 AM

Is there a reason you need to visit 4 countries in such a short period of time? A rushed plan is a common mistake among newbies. Please focus on what you want to see and how much time you will need to see it, instead of trying to rack up a list of countries you can say you have visted. I hope you will take this in the kind and helpful spirit in which it is given.

I love visiting in October for the fall foliage. It is on the chilly side but IMO it's worth it. But if that's not for you then Sept or May would be good.

Michel_Paris Feb 24th, 2012 05:47 AM

Cut back on the countries!

Shoulder seasons: late spring, early fall

ThailandToDo Feb 24th, 2012 06:16 AM

Thank you for the comment. Since I'm from hot region, the cooler weather for me should be around 15-25 degrees. Is this temperature be around May or Oct? I just had never been to Europe, so I would like to cover as many countries as possible >.< Maybe if I have to cut out to 2 countries only. Which will you recommend among France, Italy, Switzerland, Scotland, Holland?

Thankss :)

Cowboy1968 Feb 24th, 2012 06:19 AM

Luxembourg would be perfect: You can visit 4 countries in 12 hours, not days ;-)

But I think we need a "little" more feedback from OP if there is *any* idea what she /he likes to see:

nature vs. culture
mountains vs. sea
roman or celtic ruins vs. cutting edge architecture
vibrant big cities vs. quaint villages
and so on...

special needs?
special preferences?, e.g. does not want to rent car

nytraveler Feb 24th, 2012 10:11 AM

May and early June are better - longer days and locals still happt to see tourists. Late Spet and Oct are also good - but days are shorter.

Both are sholder season - you might get slightly lower airfares and it MAY be slightly easier to get hotels than in midsummer.

The cheapest times are Jan/Feb - except for winter sports areas - but then you will have the cold, very short days and some sights with limited opening hours.

pookymimi Feb 24th, 2012 11:15 AM

"If I could spend 12 days to visit 4 countries, where are your recommendation?"

12 days, Ouch!
2010 we spent 2 months in 4 countries and we spent most of the time traveling and the countries are neighbors, i.e. France, Italy, Switzerland.

You have to consider distances and at least take out 3 days of your 12 to transfer in between countries. It maybe doable, but having done such a busy trip I wouldn't recommend it.

MareW Feb 24th, 2012 11:42 AM

I also prefer late spring to fall because of the longer days.

"Maybe if I have to cut out to 2 countries only. Which will you recommend among France, Italy, Switzerland, Scotland, Holland?"

Can't say based on your info, but one suggestion is to base yourself in Amsterdam and do a couple of daytips via train from there, and then take the train to Paris for the rest of your time.