Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When is the best time to see the lavendar fields in the Provence region of France?

When is the best time to see the lavendar fields in the Provence region of France?

Sep 18th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Janda

Also what is the best small town around there to stay in?
Thanks....

Sep 18th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Christina

I would say July would be the best bet. I'm no expert having only been there once (in first half of July, lavender was lovely), and I've sure it varies depending on the weather that year. But, from what I read, that is the best possibility as it can start in late June and perhaps go into August in some places, but sometimes the harvest is about done by 3rd-4th week of July, at least in most places.

I don't think there is only one best town (and it would vary as to whether you want the Luberon or maybe around Sault), but some folks like Gordes which is near lavender fields.

Sep 18th, 2002, 11:34 AM
bob

ttt

Sep 18th, 2002, 11:49 AM
mimi taylor

july-early August. There's a lavender festival in Sault in August around the 14th and 15th, a two day afair. Valensole has one in July arounds the 20th For a brochure of Lavender, write:
The "routes de Lavende"
2, Avenue de Venterol
nyons, France,26111

Sep 18th, 2002, 11:56 AM
mpprh

Hi

End July / early August.

Our lavender is foutou by start September.

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Sep 19th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Ginni

We were there in June and had a picnic in the lavender fields of L'Abbaye Notre Dame de Senanque. It is just beautiful. The abbey is just out of Gordes which is both pretty and central, and has the advantage of having a few restaurants etc to choose from.
If you have a car you can stay in one of the towns of the petit luberon or in isle sur la sorgue, which is just gorgeous.
Have fun!

Sep 20th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Pat

We were in Saignon near Apt last 2 weeks of June and the lavender fields were in full bloom, beautiful.

Sep 20th, 2002, 02:59 AM
John B.

For more suggestions of where to stay, what to do and see and pictures of Provence, check out the The Magic of Provence Yahoo Group at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence